IGNORED

Uncancelled: Fruit Fly Fun (Atari 2600)

31 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I'm back. I decided to attempt to do this in batari Basic in the hopes that it would help with the scanline issue I was having. I had to get rid of the banana since I have no way of drawing it this way, so I think I'll just call the game Flies! if this goes anywhere.

fly1.bin 2 kB · 2 downloads

Glad to see you back!

Started work on a 4k version. Added some new things in it that the 2k version doesn't.

• music
  • if b&w/color switch set to b&w it will be in b&w.
  • if left difficulty=a then sprites go behind the clouds.

This in my opinion is a better game than the 2k version I had yesterday was. And, I have 1,443 bytes left to do even more stuff with.

fly4k4.bin

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Started work on a 4k version. Added some new things in it that the 2k version doesn't.

• music
  • if b&w/color switch set to b&w it will be in b&w.
  • if left difficulty=a then sprites go behind the clouds.

This in my opinion is a better game than the 2k version I had yesterday was. And, I have 1,443 bytes left to do even more stuff with.

fly4k4.bin 4 kB · 0 downloads

I'll give her a run and let you know what I think!!!

There are times where I've swatted a fly at the edge of the screen and a bee or hornet will appear exactly where I am and kill me instantly, ending the game.

Perhaps you could start the bee and hornet at a different height or other side of the screen if the player is at the edge? I pretty much know I have about a 50% chance of dying if there's a fly at the edge of the screen.

- James

Changes.

• addressed ZeroPage Homebrew's suggestion
  • saw that the bee was over the swatter instead of under it. This took a majority of the time trying to fix this problem, but I eventually did, but I don't know how.
  • title screen music's last treble note fades out instead of keeps playing.
  • Added the name of the game to the title screen (thus making it an actual title screen.)

fly4k7.bin

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Clouds: Those puffy white things in the sky.  Sometimes they look like stuff. No two are alike. So with that in mind, I have a version 668. I was trying to make the clouds look better, but for some reason I just can't make them uniform. So they'll have to stay like this.

I also fixed the fly's wing bug when he's down on the ground and got rid of the stuff moves behind clouds feature. So I think it's couch compliant, unless you want to play in b&w. That requires flipping the switch to b&w.

fly668_3.png.cdac30c8d5e79c5926de790d4d7689b9.png

Everything else should work fine. I tested it on my Atari 7800. Let me know if it doesn't.

The name of the game is again "Fruit Fly Fun." I like alliteration.

fly668.bin

• Like 1

I didn't know that! Thanks for the info. I changed it back to a banana even though I don't like the shape of it. I also made the fly swatter change colors if you press the button. I tried making the shape change, but that took up too much room. So it's like this. Tested on Stella and a real 7800 and it seems to be okay.

fly668b_1.png.4cdf8ba7eb3ec10c85ce7207b400e89c.png

fly668b.bin

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 5:52 PM, atari2600land said:

I decided to attempt to do this in batari Basic

Glad you're back on it!

I'm rather fond of games that feature flies ;) so I mocked up a possible playfield concept. I first tried to recreate the banana using pfcolors and various pfheights with the kernel options, but it ended up making the screen really short. (Although, it might've just come to me on how to remedy that. I'll explore it.)

Since I was struggling with the banana, I just made a pile of poo. 💩 Flies like poo.

ShooFly.bas_1.thumb.png.2b8f4666732599a225e8452593b7d89e.png

And here's the source and binary: (EDIT: This isn't a working game, just a mockup)

ShooFly.basShooFly.bas.bin

Edited by 8bitPoet

Two things:

1. I'd like to change the "cancelled" in this topic title to "uncancelled". Could some mod do that for me?
  2. I'd like to have the game published. I'm guessing Good Deal Games is no longer in business. Does anyone know anyone else? I checked GDG's website and I clicked on the webforum, and it took me to some weird thing which I had to quickly got out of for fear of getting malware. That and the copyright date said 2018.
  • Like 1

OK. I loved the way that looked, but the only instances of the scanline being 263 was when I was swatting the big fly. So what to do? The only thing I could: Remove the big fly. I think there's enough going on that I don't need a big fly anyway. And it was really hard to hit. The regular flies are hard enough to hit.

fly669_dbg_62d56437.png.a864f695c1f214808b4011f97ab17524.png

Thoughts?

fly669.bin

• Like 2

Reminds me of the Mario Paint bonus game.  I think you're on to something, here!

From a half awake perspective just got two nuggets of feedback:

* It's really hard to land a hit

Possible solution: Use soft collisions so you can implement a bigger bounding box when attacking

* I get killed by the big bugs yet the small bugs seem to let me move onto them while being smacked.  The rules don't seem clear.

Possible solution: Make the big bug more visibly dangerous.  Hot red colors or color cycling to indicate danger.

I fixed the handle length glitch, but in return the clouds got uneven. I made it so it's not that noticeable.

I also made the bee orange and the hornet a lighter red. There are the two types of big bugs. Just touching them ends the game. The hornet follows you around for a short time, and the bee just goes in a straight line across the screen.

fly669a_1.png.3d6542ed40e996d81fe62c2b24b6bb5c.png

I tried to fix the clouds various ways but I just couldn't. They'll have to stay like this.

fly669a.bin

• Like 4