IGNORED

Is it just me or does the left bottom (FIRE1) fire button seem to break more easily?

RockLobster

Some of you have seen my previous rant/post about Atari 5200 controllers being a new owner.   TL;DR - I've read that they were unreliable but didn't realize how large of a failure rate they had.

--

Anyway, I've managed to fix 4 of the 5 controllers.   The unfixable one has broken traces and tears in the flex circuit so it'll remain a parts controller or if I ever decide to order that upgrade/replacement.

Of the other 4 controllers, 1 is full fixed while the other 3, all buttons/pots work except for the left side FIRE1 button (bottom).   I've deoxit'd the flex circuit area and even scrubbed a bit with a high grain abrasive papered continuity is great but somehow still not working.   All 3.

Is there something I'm missing or is there something special about this pad/button?   The other 3 fire buttons left FIRE2 and right FIRE1 and FIRE2 all work as do the keypad and pots for the stick.

This isn't a complicated device but I've ran out of ideas with.  thanks!

x.jpg

Yes that is usually the most problematic button. Touch a small flat blade screwdriver on the trace for that button and see if it works that way. If it does then either do the tin foil method or get the upgrades and solve it for good.