IGNORED

Pikmin

Astro Rabby

Technically I don't play it anymore because I reviewed it for a French video games website, so I beat it last week (I only left an optional quest and a few things). It took me around 40 hours (25 hours for ending credits, there are two more zones after that).

I could never beat the first two, but I beat the 3rd that I loved, and I think this one is even better.

• Like 1

I played the first when it came out originally but it didn't grab my attention.  I bypassed the other three.

My three youngest (11, 8 and 7) are all playing the Pikmin 4 demo so that's been the topic of conversation. My 7 year old showed my Mom the Gamecenter (Wal-Mart) magazine that has a big spread about it.  In said showing he slipped in a mention of "Christmas" then talked about "crystals" (I guess those are in the game?).  My Mom asked him about the Christmas mention....

"No Gramma, I didn't say 'Christmas', I said 'CRYSTALS'."

Sly dog.  I'll probably get roped in on it for multi player so my views could change.

I've played through Pikmin 3 Deluxe on the Switch and have the first Pikmin on the Wii. So far I've gotten to the part in 4 where you can go on night expeditions. I definitely like how you can upgrade your character and buy items and how the game feels less linear than Pikmin 3. The dandori battles remind me of Herzog Zwei.

You reminded me I sold off #2 months ago before it was announced (lucky me)  It's the only one I liked of the 2 at the time, 3 I watched and didn't care for the changes.  I'm sure this franchise in general is probably pretty good, but wasn't for me.  Maybe someday the bundle could be a cheap second hand find I could be open minded about as I do with a number of titles, but for now my cares sleep. :)  #2 was the most fun to me, the broken issues of the first were fixed, but time(lack of) killed interest in playing again.

Never played any. Idk why, looked like it would be right up my alley, but outside game boy player, I'd largely abandoned the cube by the time I'd seen the first.

Cool to hear all four are on switch, I did just get 4, and will hunt for the other three.

The first one has some weird quirks that don't help make the game very fun at times the second redid to clean it up.  The original the radar was semi-broken so it was easy to just have it say the wrong thing to do to not being correct, and also anytime within a space (not out in the open) time kept ticking and you'd be trapped and hosed, in 2 it stops under so you don't end up wrecked.  There were other little tweaks, but it made 2 a real high point.  I enjoyed it some, played a decent bit but never felt motivated to finish it either, the first I detested and got rid of after a time so 2 I got as a gift (in the era but late.)

If someone wants a taste of a good title, try out #2 and see how it feels, then dive deeper.

Frankly I'm not sure it's such a good idea to play an old episode before you tackle the latest, unless you can find it for very cheap. The new one really eliminates a lot of frustrations from the three first games; for instance the dog prevents you from losing pikmins while crossing a bridge.

Just picked up pikmin 3 deluxe for switch. Now I just gotta find the first two.

I may be a bit of a weirdo, well, am a bit of a weirdo, but I usually prefer to play the first game first, even if it is bad or broken. If nothing else, it gives a tutorial on how to play so your more knowledgeable when you play later games.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 3:50 PM, Video said:

Just picked up pikmin 3 deluxe for switch. Now I just gotta find the first two.

I may be a bit of a weirdo, well, am a bit of a weirdo, but I usually prefer to play the first game first, even if it is bad or broken. If nothing else, it gives a tutorial on how to play so your more knowledgeable when you play later games.

The first one is great! It's delightfully simple with only three types.

The time limit puts people off but it's not so bad.

4 hours ago, Astro Rabby said:

The first one is great! It's delightfully simple with only three types.

The time limit puts people off but it's not so bad.

What I disliked about the first one was rather that you had to beat in less than X days. So I used a walkthrough but even then, I couldn't beat the last boss.

The time limit felt worse in the second one to me, but maybe in contrast with the caves where it stops.

Just did a preorder of the first two, they come out the 25th of September, so ill have to wait a while to play those, ill probably start three this weekend sometime. Cool you can get a hard copy of all of them.

I think there was a hey pikmin for DS or something. Maybe ill get and try that.

I don't think I've played 2. I got the 1st one back when it came out and really liked it. I cam see people being turned off by it as you have to be effective, or you could really screw yourself and have to start over. I played 3 and really liked it.

My wife played 3 and liked it, but struggled with 1 due to the constraints. We are going to get 4 at some point. I need to beat BotW first.

Don't yet have a Switch so haven't played 4, but the wife and I both loved the first 3 and have played thru them multiple times. We still play the Bingo Battle from #3 occasionally as a quick head-to-head game. I personally like #2 the best for both the untimed cave segments and the final boss battle.

I played the first Pikmin a long time ago and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately that's the only one I've played. I still have it (on both the GC and Wii), but I'm tempted to pick up the others for the Switch.

Well, been playing pikmin 3 for the past week. Its actually about what I expected, a cross between lemmings, you have to find the creatures and by the end of a level (day) you have to get them to your base or risk losing them. And overlord, in that you actually use the creatures and their special abilities to do everything, fight, grow, and advance through the levels.

Anyhow, a lot of fun. I don't know how I missed this, like I said, probably quit GameCube before the first came out, and I never was enthused by the Wii and u consoles, so I never got much of anything for those two consoles.

Looking forward to trying the first two when I get them, hopefully next month. I've already restarted 3 because I got stuck on the gold blob, its going a lot faster this time around, and having a clue what I'm doing certainly doesn't hurt.

!!!RISK OF SPOILERS!!! Pikmin 3

Went through pikmin 3 a second time and the gold blob is the final boss. You'll probably have to go through the level a time or three to clear obstacles before fighting him, seems a decent complex fight too. Its not to bad as you will finally have access to the onion to get backup. I was surprised when the game ended, but I still have half the fruits in the world to collect. You have to do a lot of revisiting to have your full team and access to the correct pikmin to get everything. Looks like you can go back to collect the rest, which I may try, before starting again to see if I can collect more faster. I beat the game in 22 days with half the fruit. First play I didn't beat, but was already to 40 days, but had most the fruit, and a lot more pikmin. Anyhow, great game, if a bit short, but I don't mind. May try 4 as its available now, but I do look forward to the first two when they come.

Oh, and started "hey pikmin" for 3ds. Thought it would be interesting to see the 3ds take on the game. As a side scroller, it is a bit different. Its still the same collectathon idea as the console ones, just 2dafied. When you start it says you need the circle pad to play, but I don't know why, as the game is almost exclusively played with the stylus. Maybe the circle pad adds extra ram or something? Idk as i used the new 3ds which is basicslly the circle pad built in. It uses the d pad to move your character, but everything else so far is touch screen based. Kind of pikmin meets angry birds or something lol. You can use amiibos (sp?) But I've got not one, so can't comment on what that might add. The levels are untimed so far, but I've only played a little, so maybe there's timed or autoscroll later in the game. Once a level is done, you can use the extra collected Pokemon to raid the park for more loot. Anyhow, another great game, but different style from the consoles. Oh, and no 3d support, just as a heads up.

• 3 weeks later...

Well played through 3 several times, guess 22 days and half to two thirds the treasures is about where I'm at. There are some items it may only be attainable with two players, but I don't know.

Played through hey pikmin too, looks like you can 100% that one, minus whatever the amiibos unlock...all two of them. Ill have to keep an eye out for them. There may be more, but I remember the one with the space guy, and the one with just pikmin from bitd.

And, I started four. This one seems a lot bigger than the others. Not quite good enough to do the last night mission, or the last leafling, so I restarted it too, man I'm blazing through on the current play through.

• 4 weeks later...

Well last week my copy of pikmin 1+2 came in the mail. I actually just finished one, but was short one ship part at the end.

As I played more and got comfortable with its quirks (it was the first game after all) I got much better at it. It was still a lot of fun, but has its problems. Only three pikmin, but the 100 limit is available as long as you have the pikmin to bank. There's no "charge" feature, so to attack, grab items etc, you have to sit there tapping the button till you get your number. The pikmin selection randomly changes as you move, which does cause problems (like throwing yellow and red guys in the water) and the "follow" ai sucks. You'll constantly backtrack to collect pikmin who detached from your group.

Still a fun game, ill play through again now I have a clue what I'm doing and know better the quirks of the game, and maybe next week ill start 2

• Like 1

Well got through 1, took 27 days and got all the loot.. The ending is slightly different when you 100% it. I could try for less days, but for now started 2 instead. Two is more refined, the pikmin properly follow you without getting stuck on everything, but more or less the same game. Just third party loot this time to try to save your company, and ship, though if I was olimar, I'd seriously consider a new, less crashy line of work, lol.

So that's all of them as far as I'm aware, great series of games, I look forward to more in the future.

Spoilers, maybe.

I "beat" 2 today. Great game, love the first end (ya really left louie?) The game instantly ends when you hit 10k loot, even in the middle of the day. This game opts to return so you can try for the rest of the loot (and find Louie I suppose) but I've not put much time in yet, did unlock a new area though.

• 2 months later...