IGNORED

anyone know how to disable Deskmate upon startup?

newTIboyRob

Hi, when I turn on my Tandy 1000 TL/3, it autoloads the pre-installed Deskmate program.  I will soon be getting an MS DOS disk, a Utilities disk and Deskmate floppies. 

Does anyone know how to prevent that aforementioned pre-installed Deskmate from autoloading upon startup?  I would just like the choice of either insterting/loading the DOS disk should I want to use that for anything, or inserting the Deskmate disk/s if I want to use those. (I wouldn't even mind removing that Deskmate altogether and just running that program from the disks, but I don't know how to do that either, so for now is it best to just leave Deskmate on the comp?) 

I still want to be able to have a choice upon turning on the computer, which I am new to as you can see. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is a vague memory... Hold down either <SHIFT> key on boot up and see if that bypasses the autostart. I don't remember if there is a setting in the BIOS about having Deskmate autostart. In a typical DOS system, the AUTOEXEC.BAT file is used to tell the system what programs to run after bootup. 

Michael

I found the User's Guide on Manualslib. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/817770/Tandy-1000-Tl3.html#product-1000 TL3

You'll need to create a free account to download it. It says that Deskmate is on a ROM. Although, It's not the complete programme. There is a setup disk that came with the computer. You'll need it to setup several options. Including whether Deskmate boots or MS/DOS 3.3 Boots. So, what I gather is that the setup disk is a crucial disk to have. And you'll need it to change the option from booting to DESKMATE to DOS.

Michael

Edited by Michael Kline
  • Like 1

With (most of) the Tandy 1000 series computers, there is a setup program that allows changes to the BIOS settings. There is no other way to access this menu (and change settings) without the setup program. 

Since the Deskmate kernel is a built-in ROM image, there is no way to completely remove it, short of making some significant hardware modifications. 

Wow, you guys were so helpful, thanks!  I will be receiving a few floppies in about a week. Hopefully that setup disk/program that you both referenced will be on a "Utilities" disk that is coming in the package, so maybe that contains the missing link here. Hopefully. Then what remains is if I can only figure how to get into that setup program and change the BIOS settings.  In short... I may need you guys again. (insert lol here)

Anywho... To be continued... I will post again when I receive these magical disks. I hope you guys stay tuned!

• Like 1

For right now, can you just exit Deskmate and drop to DOS?

It's been about 35 years since I owned my SL, but I'm almost positive that most (if not all) of DOS was contained in the ROM and will show as drive C:.  TL series should be the same.

It was cool in that it booted to the DOS prompt faster than the few seconds it took the CRT to warm up.  But it was all disabled when UPS delivered my hardcard a few days later.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...