IGNORED

macOS games on the VCS

Middleman

Now that the GPU acceleration issue has finally been resolved with macOS via NootedRed on the VCS, I'm interested to see what kind of games can run on the new setup.

image.thumb.png.99b73f8c23f00721da71ce122de48109.png

As it now fully supports Metal, we should by all means be able to run any standard working Mac game. Does any of you have any ideas in mind?

55 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

Ok, I'm out of the loop with Mac stuff - I got rid of all my Apple hardware almost 10 years ago, but I don't see what this has to do with the VCS.

Well in that case I'll put in a short explanation. Over 2 years ago like everyone else here I got the VCS as one of the original backers on Indiegogo. However I wanted to do something a little different with it, and that was to turn it into an actual Hackintosh, not based on running via a VM but using the actual hardware. The result was mentioned in this thread below. I have since gotten it working with the latest macOS Monterey and Ventura, but for the longest time I couldn't get the GPU acceleration enabled because there was no driver for it, until very recently via a kext called NootedRed. So I now have the AMD Vega 3 GPU running Metal fully on the macOS, which means potentially, official Mac-only games on Steam, GOG and the like can also run on it (potentially faster than via Windows or Linux). That means the VCS' abilities just got better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Middleman said:

Well in that case I'll put in a short explanation. Over 2 years ago like everyone else here I got the VCS as one of the original backers on Indiegogo. However I wanted to do something a little different with it, and that was to turn it into an actual Hackintosh, not based on running via a VM but using the actual hardware. The result was mentioned in this thread below. I have since gotten it working with the latest macOS Monterey and Ventura, but for the longest time I couldn't get the GPU acceleration enabled because there was no driver for it, until very recently via a kext called NootedRed. So I now have the AMD Vega 3 GPU running Metal fully on the macOS, which means potentially, official Mac-only games on Steam, GOG and the like can also run on it (potentially faster than via Windows or Linux). That means the VCS' abilities just got better.

Ok.  I've no interest in Macs so I can't really comment further.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Middleman said:

official Mac-only games on Steam, GOG

Not trying to rag on anything you are trying to accomplish, but I am curious if there are any Mac-only games, especially on Steam or GOG.  I have a few macs, from rather old to new.  And about the only game series I can recall being exclusive was Marathon, which was later open sourced and ported everywhere.  It is cool that you got macOS running with GPU acceleration though!  I should try something like HaikuOS on mine.  Hmm, or ArcaOS.

• Like 1