IGNORED

where is the BASIC.SYSTEM file in Copy 2 Plus 8.1?

newTIboyRob

Hello all. I have Copy 2 Plus 8.1. I formatted a blank disk, successfully verified it, etc. So I was trying to make this new disk only contain Prodos (8 V 1.4) and BASIC to do some programming, and as you know after loading Prodos, the computer will next look for a .SYSTEM file. I copied the PRODOS file to the new disk from Copy 2 Plus 8.1 without issue, but in Copy 2 Plus 8.1's list of files, there were only 2 other .SYSTEM files, namely UTIL. SYSTEM and BITCOPY.SYSTEM, but no BASIC.SYSTEM.

Where o where is the BASIC.SYSTEM in Copy2 Plus 8.1 if it is not on that list of copyable files?   In other words, how can I otherwise make the disk contain only Prodos and Basic so after a reboot, the computer will load prodos and then dump directly into basic.

Please advise,

Thanks

Though I was able to find the BASIC.SYSTEM file on another disk and copy it successfully on Copy 2 PluS 8.1, I'm still wondering if anyone knows the answer to my original question above.

The BASIC.SYSTEM file I found and copied is PRODOS BASIC 1.0 and it loaded fine with the PRODOS 8 version.

But was there an updated version of BASIC after that 1.0?  I assume 1.0 was the old school one that would run most, if not all of the programs from the ancient computer magazines for programming?

• Like 1

Basic.system 1.4.1 is the latest to work on an Apple II+.  Prodos 8 v1.8 is the latest version for Apple II+ and unenhanced IIe.

Basic.system 1.6 is the latest for Apple IIe and greater.  Prodos 8 v2.0.4 is the latest version for enhanced IIe/IIc.

Thank you guys. So it sounds like BASIC.SYSTEM 1.1 will still be fine to do, pardon the pun, the typical basic programs found in magazines like Home Computing. Remember that one?  There were some really cool things for the time in there, and I recall all those hours typing and typing only to find that the program didn't work due to a typo that was then corrected in a subsequent issue.  Still great times though!

I just checked my copy of Copy II+ v9.1 and it has Basic.System on the disk. After you boot Copy II+ you are presented with the main menu, which has Applications highlighted. If you select Applications then you have a secondary menu which says 'Select option:'. The only option, unless you haved added applications to that menu, is 'B-Basic' which will launch Basic.System 1.5.

On 7/26/2023 at 1:00 PM, newTIboyRob said:

Hello all. I have Copy 2 Plus 8.1. I formatted a blank disk, successfully verified it, etc. So I was trying to make this new disk only contain Prodos (8 V 1.4) and BASIC to do some programming, and as you know after loading Prodos, the computer will next look for a .SYSTEM file. I copied the PRODOS file to the new disk from Copy 2 Plus 8.1 without issue, but in Copy 2 Plus 8.1's list of files, there were only 2 other .SYSTEM files, namely UTIL. SYSTEM and BITCOPY.SYSTEM, but no BASIC.SYSTEM.

Where o where is the BASIC.SYSTEM in Copy2 Plus 8.1 if it is not on that list of copyable files?   In other words, how can I otherwise make the disk contain only Prodos and Basic so after a reboot, the computer will load prodos and then dump directly into basic.

Please advise,

Thanks

As recall, ProDOS was made in Two Parts, unlike the original Apple ][ DOS..

The PRODOS ( SYS ) File is the Base OS, RWTS and Higher Level Disk Functions..

The BASIC.SYSTEM ( SYS ) is the BASIC Commands that are Hooked into BASIC..

If your not using any BASIC Programs, you don't need to Load BASIC.SYSTEM, thus saving you RAM for your Assembly Language programs..

MarkO

On 7/26/2023 at 10:52 PM, Iamgroot said:

Basic.system 1.4.1 is the latest to work on an Apple II+.  Prodos 8 v1.8 is the latest version for Apple II+ and unenhanced IIe.

Basic.system 1.6 is the latest for Apple IIe and greater.  Prodos 8 v2.0.4 is the latest version for enhanced IIe/IIc.

Some of the Community Updates to ProDOS also removed the requirement on the 65C02, letting them run on Earlier Apple ][s than the Enhanced //e..

MarkO