IGNORED

Intellivision Virtual Expo for Future?

Here is a thought. What do you think about having an Intellivision Virtual Expo after PRGE?

The Apple II community started doing this, recognizing that the long-running KansasFest event couldn't be attended by everyone (travel+hotel costs, time overhead, etc). So what is done there is KFest still happens on one weekend, and everything is recorded, and then the second weekend (this one actually) is "A2Forever" event, which is all-digital.

The all-digital event is a mix of recorded sessions from the prior week, live talks, and custom-recorded events where the recording person is available for Q&A during and after their session. 

image.thumb.png.7ed14cfd10ac83972da90c067ee03247.png

(screen snip from a KansasFest session last week)

• Like 3

It is a great idea, and I would love to participate.  I know that Rev and I talked about making it a yearly thing after the 2020 one.  It just ... well ... never really panned out.

I will be honest, it was a helluva mess to coordinate the last time, with lots of people having competing priorities and varying levels of motivation and commitment.

I am absolutely impressed with how everything turned out at the end, but I'm not sure I enjoyed the road there as much as I wished.

All that said, I'd give it another go, as long as we can get some structure in the process and some real commitment from core folks. :)

dZ.

• Like 4

On 7/30/2023 at 5:54 AM, DZ-Jay said:

It is a great idea, and I would love to participate.  I know that Rev and I talked about making it a yearly thing after the 2020 one.  It just ... well ... never really panned out.

I will be honest, it was a helluva mess to coordinate the last time, with lots of people having competing priorities and varying levels of motivation and commitment.

I am absolutely impressed with how everything turned out at the end, but I'm not sure I enjoyed the road there as much as I wished.

All that said, I'd give it another go, as long as we can get some structure in the process and some real commitment from core folks. :)

dZ.

I think a good compromise between presenter flexibility and producer sanity is requiring all presenters to pre-record their stuff and be available available for live Q&A in a given time slot. This seems to be working for Kansasfest/A24evr event; while they are using a mix of Zoom plus Youtube plus Discord plus Slack, it is working on a tight schedule and presenters get to show and share how they want.

In the case of an Intellivision-centric event, cutting the technology mix down to pre-recording mp4 and using ffmpeg and a website would be "lightweight" and flexible. Let people show stuff and play stuff and have fun with it.

I could also imagine someone taking a bunch of video from PRGE floor and sessions and stitching that into 1-2 videos to broadcast and again having a volunteer for Q&A for the virtual audience. The golden-throated Rick Reynolds comes to mind. 

Edited by First Spear
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I have a family health issue that needs my attention, has since mid-August, which is why this never went anywhere past the idea phase. Maybe in a few months I can come back and if publishers and players are interested I can work on something. I wanted to do this, I think the community gets a little something out of it, I have fun with it, but apparently it wasn’t meant to be for this part of 2023.

• Like 2