IGNORED

CHR$ or ASCII or neither?

newTIboyRob

Just wondering if anyone knows if Applesoft BASIC circa the early 80's had a list of CHR$ or ASCII codes? I am looking for symbols instead of letters though, trying to print a small box on the screen like this: ▢

Not sure if this was too advanced for those days or if that small empty box above actually could be done.

Thanks

11 hours ago, newTIboyRob said:

Just wondering if anyone knows if Applesoft BASIC circa the early 80's had a list of CHR$ or ASCII codes? I am looking for symbols instead of letters though, trying to print a small box on the screen like this: ▢

Not sure if this was too advanced for those days or if that small empty box above actually could be done.

Thanks

The Enhanced Apple //e and //c and ][gs have the Mouse Text Characters..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MouseText

That will get you some Symbols that are kind of like the IBM Extended Character Set..

The Apple ][, ][+, have Upper Case and some Symbols and the ][e has Lower Case as well..

There are Replacment Character ROMs that can be added into the Apple ][s to give Lower Case and there is a Custom ROM, ( Pig Font ) that was designed for a BBS System to use in the Apple ][..

MarkO

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, newTIboyRob said:

Thanks MarkO, and for answering my other posts as well :)

I have been using the Apple ][s for a fairly long time.....   JAN-1982 to be exact, and I got my first Apple ][, the Apple ][e in NOV-1983...

MarkO

Central_Hackers_Inc-03-NOV-1983-1024x1254.png

On 7/30/2023 at 6:17 PM, newTIboyRob said:

Awesome!  I bet you had every issue of Family Computing and typed those programs in with eagerness!

Actually no...    

My dad did get "Info World" and "The Computer Shopper", but I only got the Home Computing magazines on an occasional basis....

I did get a few FREE Issues of SofTalk, because "new" Apple Owners could register their Serial Number, so I did with the Apple ][e Above..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softalk

I did get a few Books for Computer Programming...

BTW, did you know that you can Download PDFs of Usborne, Classic Computer programming books??

https://usborne.com/us/books/computer-and-coding-books

MarkO