IGNORED

Gauging interest: Anyone using the Atari Jaguar with Jaglink/JagAIOA Plus?

TheRealOC

Evening all,

I'm currently working on some videos and wiki articles about classic online gaming, and one interesting topic that caught my attention is how multiple Atari Jaguars communicated with each other during Battlesphere sessions.

Out of the three games that supported Jaglink (Aircars, Battlesphere, and Doom), two of them (Aircars and Doom) only allowed for two players in a one-on-one multiplayer setup. However, Battlesphere takes it to the next level. In Battlesphere, you become a space pilot, and the game supports multiplayer gaming with up to 8 players. I've come across reports that by connecting multiple Jaguar consoles via the Jaglink, a 32-player daisy-chain network could be formed.

I haven't found any pictures or videos of such a massive Jaguar/Battlesphere network setup. Some sources suggest that the network was indeed a daisy-chain, with each JagLink II port connecting to the Jaguar on either side of it. There are also mentions of the first Jaguar acting as a "server Jaguar" for the other "client Jaguars" in the network. On the other hand, I've read about a device called a Catbox being necessary to act as a hub. The conflicting information leaves me wondering what to believe.

So, I'm wondering if there's any interest among fellow owners of the necessary hardware (Atari Jaguar console, Jaglink II interface or Humble Bazooka's JagAIOA Plus, and a Gamedrive or original copies of Aircars/Battlesphere/Doom). in organizing an in-person meet-up to enjoy a few hours of Battlesphere multiplayer gaming and capture the experience for posterity.

If you have the required equipment and are interested, please drop a reply in this thread and mention the country you're based in. It would be fascinating to know if such an event is workable.

Looking forward to your responses

• Like 1

Meeting with Jaguar enthusiastics and playing the networkgames as you mentioned, is great but not for the casual gamer I guess.

Therefore setting up such an event with people who have the consoles/games/equipment/time/motivation and live in the same area might not be an easy task?

Your enthusiasm is nice and I wish you good luck, however seeing the lack of responses to your invitation I would not set my hopes too high.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm down for a meet up in So Cal.  I currently live in Arizona, but go to So Cal all the time, mainly the San Diego area, but going up to the LA area is no problem.  I have two Jags, Jag-Link, two copies of Doom and one copy of Battlesphere.  I also have a 13" 4:3 lcd monitor that is easy to travel with. 

Is TheRealOC from Orange County? 

• Like 2