IGNORED

Crystal Castles 8-bit

t.skid

Yes, I had forgotten about the Donkey Kong incident. I'll tell you one stranger though, DK Jr. was annouced by Atari for the 5200 on a sales sheet. How could they make DK Jr. for a home console if Coleco owned the rights (at that time anyway)?

I think Kangaroo was released through APX if I'm not mistaken. I'd have to go back and look. Anyone remember Space Dungeon on a disk?

BTW, does anyone else think it's high time someone ported DK to the 5200? We could always call it Crazy Kong.

Tempest

It's too bad some one couldn't do "reverse hacks" from 8-bit to 5200 cart (at least for the 16k 8-bit stuff, but 32k is possible too isn't it?) like the 5200 hacks that I have on my 8-bit. Although, if I have the actual cart on my 5200, I usually play that anyway for the big TV vs. small monitor situation. I kinda' use the hacks as a "trial" to see if I want to get the actual 5200 cart.

I do have Kangaroo, Gremlins, and Xevious on disc but I think they are just 5200 hacks. Jr. Pac-Man is also a 5200 hack, however Beyond Jaggi is a Beta version for the 8-bit.

One other question, a couple of months ago I was surfing and found a list of 5200 proto's with descriptions. Elevator Action and 1 other new title were listed. I thought I bookmarked the page but can't find it. Anyone know where this was ?

DKj on 5200: I guess Atari was probably negotiating rights, or hoped to get the licence - so they promoted the games B4 they had the rights, Atari was infamous for annoncing stuff that never happened

Kangaroo: The APX version looks identical to the 5200 version - what gives?!?!?

I have to say that most of the 5200 ports that I have on the 8 bit play really well with the normal single button stick - I can't imagine why there would be any point to having to struggle with the 5200 stick to play the same game... Although I do want to play Space Dungeon and the other unique titles

sTeVE

BTW- The CC on eBay sold for $46. Remember the T.skid's original post for this thread?

Jet Boot Black, I agree on not needing a 5200. Computers just have a lot more available. Just a personal preference. Also do you recall who at Sculptured did the programming on Mario Bros (64k)

Tempest, just nitpicking, but aren't they 8 inch CPM floppies and not 10"?

Found my note on MB:

Mario Bros. (16k) - RX8051

Anyone have a listing for CXL4023? Could it have been Berserk?

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Mario's Other Brother ]

$46 is too much, like $45 isn't?

Man if you hadn't of bid I would have won it for $32! I felt like as long as I won it for under $50 I'd be happy.

Crystal Castles isn't the rarest cart for the 8-bit, but it IS a hard game to track down. One that's worth hunting down, as it's a damn fun game to play! That's actually the first one I've seen on ebay since I started collecting 8-bit carts.

But according to ebay rules: "If a rare game comes up for auction after a long dry spell, 2-3 more should follow suit in the coming weeks."

So keep your eyes open, I know you're looking for one.

Ouch! 46 bucks....

Yes, feel the same way. Its funny how we look at price. In the 1980's, you would pay between $25 to $50 for software. I am guessing that 15 to 20 years of inflation would nearly double that. In today's dollars, then, we were paying $60 to $75! Additionally most of us didn't have much income in the 80s.

If only 3 or 4 CCs show up per year, I would expect the price to go up. On the other hand, the high price could increase the supply. People will search for them in their closets and put them up for auction expecting big$$. Then the price will slide. You see this phenomenon often. When a "Bounty Bob" goes exceptionally high, say $100. There's bound to be 2 or 3 more for auction in the next month.

Mr. Supply and Demand,

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

- Kangaroo disk version was avaiable from APX (works on 800/XL/XE series)

- Kangaroo cart version (5200 pirate dump) avaiable as so-called prototype; works on 400/800 only (Translator needed on XL/XE)

- Vanguard: no official 800/XL/XE version, only the 5200 pirate version (Glenn the 5200 man)

- Gremlins: pirate version from Glenn the 5200 man

- others games listed are all avaiable as pirated versions from Glenn the 5200 man...

The question is: How did Glenn convert these games from VCS 5200 to 800/XL/XE ?!? would like to convert some more 5200 games to 800/XL/XE machines...

well... u just have to convert the different adresses of the 5200 to the XL ones... thats all....

maybe most 5200 games could be relativly easy

converted... nowadays even quicker with all pc tools... of course it will be difficult when the coders have used "special" tricks or special code routines. then you have to

convert manually... otherwise...let a converter run through the 5200 code and maybe that's it in most of the cases...

but why the hell has atari changed the adresses? so conversion would be even be done much easier & quicker?

hve

• 1 month later...

going back to the original message.. there are two versions of crystal castel..

one is a 32k version that exist on an XEG cartridges.. and one is a 16k rom version.. it can also be found as a file.. i am not sure about the source of the 16k.. if its a port from the 5200 system or something else

It think the 16K version was intended for the Atari 400/800 and being ported to the 5200. From what I hear the 5200 version was very close to being complete, but not quite finished so if the 16K rom you have is complete it would have to be for the 400/800. There are a few games that were planned for the 400/800 back in 83-84 that only got released as enhanced XE titles. I wish I had that list again to check, but I was surprised at just how many there were.

Tempest

Tempest, your partial list is earlier in the thread. Mario Bro, Food Fight, Battlezone, Crystal Castles etc. Apparently these had earlier unreleased versions in the XL era and were updated for the XEGS. They account for the major gaps in catalog numbers between 8045 and 8077.