IGNORED

Star Trekish for TI 99/4a

99V

So, once upon a time I created a PC Star Trek type game in compiler BASIC. I would like to do it for the TI.

Forty years ago I was ahead of a few people in the TI game market, and now I see I'm way behind most if not all people. 

Here's how the game works:

Four scanners show you the world of game play. Forward scanner for SDS area, a 10x10 overhead SDS, a 100x100 overhead MDS, and a 1000x1000 overhead LDS. The last one is the entire playing field with Asteroids type wrapping boundaries.

Then you have

----

Warp drive up to warp 10

Impulse drive moves you any of four directions one screen pixel at a time for precise coupling with a space station or star base. You use the arrow keys.

You could turn your ship eight directions and you move straight ahead at current warp speed.

Impulse drive can be used with warp drive for precise movement

Characters and other cool stuff

---- 

Player ship looks a lot like the Enterprise

One base station is located at standstill randomly to dock with. It has four docking stations. If docked exactly in the docking space your ship is repaired over time. Same thing with the two flying starbases which fly at random speeds and directions and have one docking station. They keep the same speed and direction for each round.

Klingon type enemy ships are attacking you. They use phasers. They have created a new weapon and are guarding it. It is a self-made black hole which sits in the center of the playing field. This weapon always draws you in. If you get too close you will not be able to escape and you will be destroyed. The closer you get, the faster you get pulled in. Once all the enemy ships are destroyed that round, the black hole is deactivated and you can fly through it to start the next round. 

Weapons for you are phasers and photon torpedoes. Phasers are more accurate but photons are more powerful.

You also have mines to avoid constantly as well as energy pellets to collect constantly. The energy pellets repair your ship slowly. The mines cause a small amount of damage per hit. 

Enemy ships cause damage to your ship in many ways: warp drive, impulse drive, four scanners, phasers, torpedoes, and other areas. Damage goes up from 1-10. The higher the damage the more problems you have with your ship. Your ship will self destruct if damage reaches a certain level, or if dead in the water it will eventually be pulled into the black hole and be destroyed. 

Each round gets harder: more and stronger ships against you, stronger black hole, more mines and less energy pellets, enemy ships stay closer and closer to the black hole, and so on. 

--------------

So in 2023 how would I go about this? I don't know anything new out there. 

Should I use an emulator with a new compiler dedicated game BASIC? 

I can do it all, or as a team or even just as a consultant or designer. If you want to be involved at all PM me. 

Is it worth doing? Are there games out there that are so close it's not worth doing?

So much more can be added to what I did the first time. When compiled, game play was fast and you were never bored because even when just flying around those mines and energy pellets kept you busy. 

I just got a brand new baby sized laptop. Can this be used to do everything? 

Let me know what you think. I just want people to have fun.

Tom D. 

Edited by 99V
  • Like 1

Not a BASIC expert here but here are my 2 cents:

Should I use an emulator with a new compiler dedicated game BASIC?   Yes. Classic99 is great on windows. Way faster development times. 

I can do it all, or as a team or even just as a consultant or designer. If you want to be involved at all PM me.  There is a ton of talent in this forum.

Is it worth doing? Are there games out there that are so close it's not worth doing?  Always (It's a hobby) :)

So much more can be added to what I did the first time. When compiled, game play was fast and you were never bored because even when just flying around those mines and energy pellets kept you busy. 

The BASIC compiler is amazing compared to what we had  40 years ago.  Not sure how it handles really large programs, but I think you can chain.

Expert input required here.

I just got a brand new baby sized laptop. Can this be used to do everything? 

I can't think of a reason why not. 

Check the resources link at the top of this Forum to collect your tools and books to get you started.

Let me know what you think. I just want people to have fun.

Fun seems to be what we do here.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:30 AM, 99V said:

Wow thanks a bunch. I will try to dig deeper into the forums. This is the laptop I got. If anyone knows if something about it will be a problem please let me know. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VJYQW44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are number keys on the glide-pad!  

3 hours ago, Retrospect said:

There are number keys on the glide-pad!

Is that a problem or are you just excited? 🙂

I have a different Asus laptop that has the same thing. I actually forgot the number pad was there. I just tested it now and it works great.

See video here:

edit: video fixed

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 8:26 PM, chue said:

Is that a problem or are you just excited? 🙂

I have a different Asus laptop that has the same thing. I actually forgot the number pad was there. I just tested it now and it works great.

See video here:

edit: video fixed

Beautiful table cloth

• Haha 1