IGNORED

Best Software to develop a text adventure on Apple II

ColecoGamer

As the thread title states, what is the best software on Apple II to develop a text adventure with graphics on Apple II? I don’t believe I asked this question before, but if I have - my apologies.

It’ll be a standard text adventure with no extra bells or whistles, sans images that will be on-screen to depict your location.

Thanks for reading and responding to my thread!

There were a few games created with Graphics Magician, which has support for both hi-res and dbl-hi-res.  And has animation and screen drawing routines included.  I bellieve,The Black Cauldron, was done with Graphics Magician.  The screen drawing is definitely similar.

You might also want to look into the 8-bit multimedia software, such as, Hyperscreen, Hypersoft or TutorTech, which allow buttons to be created and selected on the hi-res screen.  Clicking a button can open another hi-res image, a text file, or save a game, etc.  Perfect for text adventures.  But has no screen creation software.

Although there is no software on the Apple II to create Infocom games, someone just created an Infocom adventure just lately on another platform, and is available to play on an Apple II.

Also, download the game called LeadLight.  Eamon adventure games are a little harder to follow.  And even though they don't have graphics in them, they do allow a reaction based on your choices and show how its all done.  But it wouldn't take much to display a graphics screen while waiting for your input.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Iamgroot said:

There were a few games created with Graphics Magician, which has support for both hi-res and dbl-hi-res.  And has animation and screen drawing routines included.  I bellieve,The Black Cauldron, was done with Graphics Magician.  The screen drawing is definitely similar.

You might also want to look into the 8-bit multimedia software, such as, Hyperscreen, Hypersoft or TutorTech, which allow buttons to be created and selected on the hi-res screen.  Clicking a button can open another hi-res image, a text file, or save a game, etc.  Perfect for text adventures.  But has no screen creation software.

Although there is no software on the Apple II to create Infocom games, someone just created an Infocom adventure just lately on another platform, and is available to play on an Apple II.

Also, download the game called LeadLight.  Eamon adventure games are a little harder to follow.  And even though they don't have graphics in them, they do allow a reaction based on your choices and show how its all done.  But it wouldn't take much to display a graphics screen while waiting for your input.

I appreciate all the useful info you have provided me. I’ll mention what package I choose, after checking them all out.

Edited by ColecoGamer

ColecoGamer, I've got a program for the Apple II called Adventure Master that lets you draw your own graphics for the text adventures you create with it. I can email it to you if you like. I have the documentation with it. The whole thing, between 2 disk images and the pdf is only 8MB. Let me know if you want it.

Edited by magnusfalkirk
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, magnusfalkirk said:

ColecoGamer, I've got a program for the Apple II called Adventure Master that lets you draw your own graphics for the text adventures you create with it. I can email it to you if you like. I have the documentation with it. The whole thing, between 2 disk images and the pdf is only 8MB. Let me know if you want it.

Thank you! PM sent.