IGNORED

CoolCV PAL?

In light of recent events I am trying to keep my mind occupied by going back to work on some games and developing more routines.

I am now revisiting Haunted House in order to get the Candle effect to work which I have make great progress.
In working on this I have come across anomalies that I wanted to share and get your opinion.

I have tried Haunted House on every name brand emulator and real hardware to make sure I have the best possible scroll effect.
All of them work flawlessly, or near, without going overboard on speed and engineering.

The only emulator that is giving me mixed results is CoolCV.
The screen jitters when scrolling which my routine is based on a combination of proper pattern placement, registers, vram location and proper use of the NMI

CoolCV seems to come up short until I put it into PAL mode and then it works as it should.  Go back to NTSC and it gets the shakes again.

Being as CoolCV is a one stop emulator.  My meaning, the BIOS was compiled into the code.  I wanted to know was this a PAL version?  NTSC version or is there some other deal?

CoolCV is the goto for a quick routine check because it is drag and drop with the code running smoothly for the most part.

I use ColEM or Mame for the closer to release code and real hardware for finals.

Being as I do not see ColEM being worked on anymore, same a CoolCV, I would like to get the last version out there to run my code properly by swapping out a BIOS or something.

All comments are welcome.

CC

From my own personal experience I found that BlueMSX is very good at revealing unwanted behaviors due to my code not beating the refresh, not beating the VDP send window, writing to VRAM to quickly, etc.  Things that appeared fine with ColEm, CoolCV, VColeco, Gearcoleco, and others would appear as problematic in BlueMSX and I could confirm that behavior in both my Phoenix and classic CV.  Just my $0.02  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

That's .02 cents more than I had yesterday...Thanks

BTW if you haven't discovered Gearcoleco yet, it has the best assembly debugger that I've found so far.  For instance it supports setting memory breakpoints which can save so many hours of debugging

1 hour ago, AnalogKid said:

BTW if you haven't discovered Gearcoleco yet, it has the best assembly debugger that I've found so far.  For instance it supports setting memory breakpoints which can save so many hours of debugging

GearColeco works great, I'm the one who got Ignacio to port it from his MasterGear.
The only issue with GC is that it is not complete and Ignacio has no incentive to work on it.

I had high hopes for ColeEm but I think the author sold it off or some deal like that.
Also EmuTwo but again, everyone has other things going on to work on their respective &&&t.

If Tony Cruise did not release that graphics program then I honestly would focus my time somewhere else because I used to do all of this by hand 40 years ago and it was no fun.

So, I would recommend anyone with a few extra $$ to support these people as an incentive to stay the course.  Especially Tony and Akumel.
Tony is supposed to add sound functionality down the line to the tile editor and EmuTwo seriously has issues despite being open source.

Edited by Captain Cozmos