IGNORED

Need Help - Bluescsi v2 on a Mega STe

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the BlueScsi V2 to show some kind of drive on the desktop.  The images are working (according to the log) but I don't see a drive.  I imagine there must be something missing.

I followed the setup for Ataris for the INI file.  Any ideas?  Is this a driver issue or something?

Which hard disk driver are you using ?

For BlueScsi I think HDDriver is probably the best option.

I don't know which steps you already did, so I will try not to forget one.

- launch the driver program via a floppy (or another HD) so your Mega STE will recognize the hard drive

- Launch the driver utility

- If your image disk on the SD card is an Atari hard disk image (already formatted), skip the next step

- If you have put a blank image disk on the SD Card, you must format it, and partition it.

- If you have another hard drive with a driver installed on it skip the next step

- You have to install the hard disk driver on your main partition so you will no more need to launch the driver from a floppy (HD will be recognised at boot)

- Reboot the Mega STE, the driver should laucnh and recognise your hard drive at boot

- Back on the desktop, select a floppy icon, and chose install icon option in the menu, give it the name C (uppercase) to create the icon for the C partition

- Do the same for every partition

- Save the desktop to keep the HD icons

Edited by Fadest

5 hours ago, snarkdluG said:

MegaSTe SCSI controller can't handle parity so that needs to be turned off in "bluescsi.ini" file. 1Gb max.

You are correct.  I added to the ini file the following:

[SCSI]
Parity=0 ; Off
MapLunsToIDs=1 ; On

I get a log entry on the SD card that the partition images were mounted.  I created two 512mb images. 

12 minutes ago, thedocbwarren said:

You are correct.  I added to the ini file the following:

[SCSI]
Parity=0 ; Off
MapLunsToIDs=1 ; On

I get a log entry on the SD card that the partition images were mounted.  I created two 512mb images. 

I just thought something.  The SD card is 32GB.  I don't know if that makes any difference considering the RPi Pico is mounting it and exporting the images. 

10 hours ago, thedocbwarren said:

The SD card is 32GB.  I don't know if that makes any difference considering the RPi Pico is mounting it and exporting the images. 

The partition limit is a TOS thing, although I currently use a NetUSBEE as my hard drive interface has failed and boot

from a floppy, I have to use BIGDOS, but I am using two 2GB USB drives with no problems

20 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

The partition limit is a TOS thing, although I currently use a NetUSBEE as my hard drive interface has failed and boot

from a floppy, I have to use BIGDOS, but I am using two 2GB USB drives with no problems

I'm not sure what you are saying.  I did understand the TOS limit.  So I wonder if there is a hardware config issue here preventing the ST from seeing the HD images?

3 hours ago, thedocbwarren said:

So I wonder if there is a hardware config issue here preventing the ST from seeing the HD images?

When you boot, do you see a SCSI device or any partition information from the drive as it boots.

If you see nothing, then there is probably hardware problem. Even if you don't see any partitions

you should at least see the hardware device and it's SCSI ID No.

15 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

When you boot, do you see a SCSI device or any partition information from the drive as it boots.

If you see nothing, then there is probably hardware problem. Even if you don't see any partitions

you should at least see the hardware device and it's SCSI ID No.

Ahhh, no I don't see anything.  I'm booting with no drivers, just TOS and BlueSCSI connected.  The old SCSI (real HDD) did boot but I think it had drivers.

Ok I tried with the ICD Pro drivers and it does see the SCSI Lun 0/ID 0 Pico.  I is unable to format the partition.  Throws an error $47, TOS error 0.  Would this likely be an image problem?  

Want to sincerely thank you for helping here.  I love this machine and plan to start developing again on it and want to modernise the persistence devices to make this easier. 

Bit more tinkering and it seems ICD tools can see the drive and able to kind of partition (not really) but fails trying to write at sector 2 if I wish to format a partition.  I created two images in the BlueSCSI and it only sees the first as a disk.  I think the issue is the image or maybe this device is just not compatible with the Atari at this point.

I'm beginning to consider this and maybe if I can't get this working I'll close this project up and see what I can do from here.  I don't have any idea how people run these machines these days to enjoy them as before.  I had to replace the mouse as well and it's quite bad with the usb/mouse device so I think I'm running out of ways to use this machine. 

From the logs:

[10ms] Platform: BlueSCSI Pico
[10ms] FW Version: 2023.01.25-release Jan 25 2023 08:22:29
Flash chip size: 2048 kB

=== SD Card Info ===
SD card detected, FAT32 volume size: 29648 MB
SD Name: SL32G, MID: 0x03, OID: 0x50 0x54

=== Global Config ===
Reading configuration from bluescsi.ini
-- MapLunsToIDs is on
-- Parity is disabled

=== Finding images in / ===
== Opening /HD00_512 512MB.hda for ID: 0 LUN: 0
---- Image ready
== Opening /HD10_512 512MB_2.hda for ID: 1 LUN: 0.  ---> I can't see this drive on the ST
---- WARNING: file /HD10_512 512MB_2.hda is not contiguous. This will increase read latency.

---- Image ready

=== ROM Drive ===
Platform supports ROM drive up to 1692 kB
---- ROM drive image not detected

=== Configured SCSI Devices ===
* ID: 0, BlockSize: 512, Type: Fixed, Quirks: Apple, Size: 524352kB
* ID: 1, BlockSize: 512, Type: Fixed, Quirks: Apple, Size: 524352kB

Initialization complete!
WARNING: Host used command 0x1A which is affected by drive geometry. Current settings are 63 sectors x 255 heads = 16065 but image size of 1048704 sectors is not divisible. This can cause error messages in diagnostics tools.
WARNING: Host attempted read at sector 2088450+1, exceeding image size 1048704 sectors (512B/sector)

I’m a new ZuluSCSI owner with a 1040STE, so here are my comments. BlueSCSI Pico is similar to the ZuluSCSI RP2040, but not identical.

1.  You are running the initial Firmware on your BlueSCSI. There have been 3 releases since then, that make lots of enhancements. You’ll find the newest releases here https://github.com/BlueSCSI/BlueSCSI-v2/releases

2. In your log file above, I see multiple references to .hda file and Apple images. This looks incorrect if you are using ICD Pro drivers, which require a .img drive drive. Try rebuilding your BlueSCSI.ini using one of the IMG types at the bottom of the list.

Just my two cents. 

Edited by Forrest

22 hours ago, Forrest said:

I’m a new ZuluSCSI owner with a 1040STE, so here are my comments. BlueSCSI Pico is similar to the ZuluSCSI RP2040, but not identical.

1.  You are running the initial Firmware on your BlueSCSI. There have been 3 releases since then, that make lots of enhancements. You’ll find the newest releases here https://github.com/BlueSCSI/BlueSCSI-v2/releases

2. In your log file above, I see multiple references to .hda file and Apple images. This looks incorrect if you are using ICD Pro drivers, which require a .img drive drive. Try rebuilding your BlueSCSI.ini using one of the IMG types at the bottom of the list.

Just my two cents. 

Got it.  I may try to flash it.  I have no idea how to create an image that works properly for this.  I used the DD command to make a new image with no luck.

• dd if=/dev/zero of="HD00_512 1024mb.img" bs=512b count=4096
Edited by thedocbwarren

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 8:51 PM, Forrest said:

I would definitely update the firmware first - there are enhancements for the Atari computers

Hello, I wanted to followup.  I've upgraded to latest (non-beta) firmware for V2 with no luck.  Log now says:

== Opening /HD00_512 1024m.img for ID: 0 LUN: 0
---- WARNING: This image does not appear to be a valid Macintosh Device image. See: https://github.com/BlueSCSI/BlueSCSI-v2/wiki/Disk-Images
---- Image ready

Obviously this is not for a Mac.  It was created via DD.  Using the ICD latest drivers is says unrecognizable device for Lun 0 on boot.

full log:

[10ms] Platform: BlueSCSI Pico
[10ms] FW Version: 2023.08.10-release Aug 11 2023 01:25:40
Flash chip size: 2048 kB

=== SD Card Info ===
SD card detected, FAT32 volume size: 29648 MB
SD Name: SL32G, MID: 0x03, OID: 0x50 0x54

=== Global Config ===
Reading configuration from bluescsi.ini
Active configuration:
-- MapLunsToIDs is on

== Opening /HD00_512 1024m.img for ID: 0 LUN: 0
---- WARNING: This image does not appear to be a valid Macintosh Device image. See: https://github.com/BlueSCSI/BlueSCSI-v2/wiki/Disk-Images
---- Image ready

=== ROM Drive ===
Platform supports ROM drive up to 1692 kB
---- ROM drive image not detected

=== Configured SCSI Devices ===
* ID: 0, BlockSize: 512, Type: Fixed, Quirks: Apple, Size: 1048576kB

Initialization complete!
INFO: Pico Voltage: 3.164V.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Raisin54 said:

For me, it was use a newer version of the firmware.  The version I had was not working with my MSTe.  After I did so I needed to make a disk imager that was under 512mb enough till it stopped complaining. Once I did, it worked perfectly and has ever since.  It's not so much step by step as it's certain combos that did it for me.  I used the ICD drivers vs paid stuff like HDDriver, for example.  No issues so far.

• 5 months later...

SO I am trying to do the same thing.

You should be able to make say a 2gb or 4gb image on the SD card and then it is seen, and you can then format it or divide it into multiple 512mb partitions.

I have tried to get this working with a 20mb partition or 50mb partition and have not had it working. 

Can you post a ZIP of your working SD card files? I would like to try them on mine.  Thankyou.

James