IGNORED

Fixing Burgertime's background music

save2600

16 minutes ago, save2600 said:

If the source is available for Burgertime, I wonder if the annoying start-restart BG music could be fixed today? 

It uses the ISR sound player for sound effects and music, so I figure the current player position would need to be saved before the sound effect, then restored.  Might be enough space left over in the ROM or GROM to redirect the sound effects routine to a new routine which does just that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

It uses the ISR sound player for sound effects and music, so I figure the current player position would need to be saved before the sound effect, then restored.  Might be enough space left over in the ROM or GROM to redirect the sound effects routine to a new routine which does just that.

Likely there would need to have that routine patched to jump to a new routine that worked better then return properly  - no source is available that i have seen so this will have to be done in GPL/assembly by Op codes patched in the cart image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, save2600 said:

If the source is available for Burgertime, I wonder if the annoying start-restart BG music could be fixed today? 

There's no source, but here it is fixed.

BurgerTimeTursiHack.zip

Sound effects are pretty much all single channel, and the musical tunes all use only 2, so they probably intended to have them overlap and didn't know how with the documentation they had only covering the console player. There was just enough unused space at the end of the cart to insert a new player for sound effects. Details are in the zip for those interested.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

Amazing @Tursi, thank you!!

I played a few quick games and it was interesting to hear the differences between your version and the old. I hear a little bit of distortion in some sound effects now, like when the baddies get squished or taken for a ride (who cares/not a criticism), but wonder if it's possible to reduce the volume of the BGM so that it plays a little quieter (or at the same volume) than the sound effects? Certainly not a request if it's a PITA* and as it stands now... WOW! After all these years, TI Burgertime fixed.  :love:

*Took a look through your notes, but didn't catch anything related to volume levels. Not sure if channel levels on the TI can be controlled independently like that... just individual sounds and notes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

wonder if it's possible to reduce the volume of the BGM so that it plays a little quieter (or at the same volume) than the sound effects?

Should be easy.  The sound list for the BGM is in the GROM at >268A through >275A.  Channels 1 and 2 are in use, and both are attenuation >0, which is set at the beginning of the list.

Actually, try this.

BurgerTursG.bin

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Should be easy.  The sound list for the BGM is in the GROM at >268A through >275A.  Channels 1 and 2 are in use, and both are attenuation >0, which is set at the beginning of the list. Actually, try this.

That's it, that's the sweet spot right there! Thank you @OLD CS1  

Never ceases to amaze how much you guys really know your way around this stuff.  👍 🙂

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tursi said:

There's no source, but here it is fixed.

BurgerTimeTursiHack.zip 12.69 kB · 14 downloads

Sound effects are pretty much all single channel, and the musical tunes all use only 2, so they probably intended to have them overlap and didn't know how with the documentation they had only covering the console player. There was just enough unused space at the end of the cart to insert a new player for sound effects. Details are in the zip for those interested.

Awesome You Are Awesome GIF - Awesome You Are Awesome GIFs

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Several sound effects in Burgertime are multi-channel.  I have some time this weekend to play to see how the sound player changes how they sound.  I am not sure it makes much of a difference.

EDIT: Interesting method for marking priority sounds.  I still have not quite figured out the multi-channel sound effects, but I did make a couple of minor changes to allow the bonus item and the get bonus sfx to play through the background music.  In the ROM file, change the first two index table entries at >7A4C (>1A4C relative) from >BB00 and >BB18 to >3B00 and >3B18.

In playing, the effect making these changes has is the bonus sounds do play with the bgm, but they can be overridden by other sfx, so sometimes you do not hear that the bonus item is available.  I think that might detract a little from play, more so than the bgm restarting after the bonus effects.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Several sound effects in Burgertime are multi-channel.  I have some time this weekend to play to see how the sound player changes how they sound.  I am not sure it makes much of a difference.

EDIT: Interesting method for marking priority sounds.  I still have not quite figured out the multi-channel sound effects, but I did make a couple of minor changes to allow the bonus item and the get bonus sfx to play through the background music.  In the ROM file, change the first two index table entries at >7A4C (>1A4C relative) from >BB00 and >BB18 to >3B00 and >3B18.

In playing, the effect making these changes has is the bonus sounds do play with the bgm, but they can be overridden by other sfx, so sometimes you do not hear that the bonus item is available.  I think that might detract a little from play, more so than the bgm restarting after the bonus effects.

Yeah, that was why I changed the bonus item to main music instead of sfx... because sometimes you didn't hear it (also because it was clearly a main tune with two channels). I had it as sfx at first too. It's infrequent enough I felt it was acceptable, and it's important that you hear it. Picking it up can probably be SFX though.

I thought some effects might be multichannel, but I didn't mean to spend too much time on it. Ultimately that would throw them into the noise channel. I didn't hear any serious issues so I ran with it. ;) It took about three hours and I was hoping for 1.5 as it was!

I didn't want to find and edit the sound lists in the GROM, that's why they are shifted in software. But if you're doing that anyway, you can save a few instructions in the sfx player and manually specify the channels you want each sfx to play on.

The change I was happiest about was now you get multiple run-over-burger sounds when you run over the parts, which is more like the arcade. Only hearing the sound once annoyed the heck out of me. ;)

• Like 3

@Tursi Ah, I did not realize that the sfx flag was your edit.  We came to the same conclusion on that one (about the sfx status of the bonus.)  I was thinking that if I edit the sound lists directly, instead of shifting the sfx to the third channel, the dual-channel sfx could still be played over the bgm, the bgm then sacrificing one of its channels for the sfx (seems pretty common.)  In any case, your edit is awesome and I think it really does make the game play easier as you get the ambience you expect out of it.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:52 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Should be easy.  The sound list for the BGM is in the GROM at >268A through >275A.  Channels 1 and 2 are in use, and both are attenuation >0, which is set at the beginning of the list.

Actually, try this.

BurgerTursG.bin 16 kB · 19 downloads

Tried this in js99er, and got an "Illegal" when I tried to run it.  Thoughts?

Load module
PC reset to >0024
Frame 1005 running
Speech: reset
Cassette motor on
Executing disk DSR power-up routine.
Executing disk DSR FILES routine (n = 3).
Frame 1240 running: 58.7 / 58.8 FPS
>0010 >02B2: Illegal
>0012 >0008: Illegal
Cassette motor on
Executing disk DSR power-up routine.

1 hour ago, acadiel said:

Distributing single files, eh? :)

Well, it was not my intention to change his original distribution, just make the quick-and-dirty modification.

I played it last night in a short livestream to test out a couple of new cameras.  This is one of the best arcade conversions we had.

• Like 4

Huh.. those little pauses are kinda weird.

And the unmodified cart works fine on your Classic99? I didn't change anything I'd have expected to have that effect.

(Also, CPU speed is set to 100%? That is, not overdrive and not changed in Options->Options? It's grasping at straws a bit, but I ran a lot of hours without seeing that one. ;) )

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

I certainly do not experience these pauses in either Classic99 or on real iron.  Very strange, indeed.  The looping bgm matches the arcade version, so I likes it.

One thing for sure is the game benefits from F18A emulation.  No disappearing Mr. Egg.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tursi said:

Huh.. those little pauses are kinda weird.

And the unmodified cart works fine on your Classic99? I didn't change anything I'd have expected to have that effect.

(Also, CPU speed is set to 100%? That is, not overdrive and not changed in Options->Options? It's grasping at straws a bit, but I ran a lot of hours without seeing that one. ;) )

If can be of any help:

on Classic99 V399.063 and 399.050 the game paused also for me, but I was in CPU overdrive. Once changed back to normal it was working fine. At first, I've not noticed that I was in overdrive, since the speed of the game is not changing too much in that mode.

• Like 1

Played fine yesterday for me on both MiSTer and DS99.  Not a bad implementation at all of the game.  The music is far too repetitive, but is also on the arcade version. Kind of puts your mind into a trance-like state though, all part of the process. :)

Much improved over the constantly restarting music of the original ROM for sure, so thanks!