IGNORED

Fixing Burgertime's background music

save2600

6 hours ago, sometimes99er said:

I enjoyed the game back when. Now the short music, when looping constantly, is actually rather annoying. Sorry'

I have to agree.  I always thought that the stopping/starting music was really obnoxious but now I realize that the music track is really really short.  The music doesn't seem to loop well because of that lower part at the beginning with the quick notes.  Maybe if they were raised in pitch it might help meld in with rest of the track when it loops?   I actually own a Burgertime machine so I know how repetitive the music can get, but somehow it seems worse on the TI99.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tursi said:

Huh.. those little pauses are kinda weird.

And the unmodified cart works fine on your Classic99? I didn't change anything I'd have expected to have that effect.

(Also, CPU speed is set to 100%? That is, not overdrive and not changed in Options->Options? It's grasping at straws a bit, but I ran a lot of hours without seeing that one. ;) )

Oops. It was in Overdrive. Works fine with Normal. Sorry. 🤕

• Like 3

If you just stop the console list player, that will stop music. Sound effects run in the custom code so won't be affected. ;)

I was listening to the NES version and I think it's actually worse for BGM (better Sfx though). Burgertime is just annoying, live with it. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, retrodroid said:

Oh, one of those uppity "Intellivision" kids, were you?? 😆

Haha, no, actually, I wasn't a fan of the system. But my repairman uncle left someone's Intellivision with Burgertime at our place when he moved, and it was literally the only video game in the house (since I didn't have any software for the TI save what I wrote myself in TI BASIC), so I ended up playing a lot of it. It was a pretty good port. ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, save2600 said:

Seeing how Burgertime's music has been fixed, any chance something similar could be managed regarding the siren in Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man's background sound? Or is that a totally different scenario?

IIRC, when I looked at them previously, there is not enough space in the ROM to put proper sound lists.  But, it has been a while and I have some much better lists prepped.  Maybe if I have time this weekend.

• Like 3

I took a quick peek at Pac Man tonight.  There is plenty of space in the ROM, but the game only knows one level of siren, so the quickening of pace would require extra lists (no big deal) and some hacking of the game itself (out of my league.)

EDIT: Oh, I also forgot the game has the same problem as Burgertime with the lack of differentiation between background sound and sound effects.

• Like 2

Not to hijack the subject at hand in this thread, but for me, I think Pac Man and Ms Pac Man both suffer more because they are painfully slow when it seems like they don't need to be.  I find that more irritating than the sound effects :)  I also think the screen should flash when a round is cleared rather than just go to black.  Munch Man is just more fun to play.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Not to hijack the subject at hand in this thread, but for me, I think Pac Man and Ms Pac Man both suffer more because they are painfully slow when it seems like they don't need to be.  I find that more irritating than the sound effects :)  I also think the screen should flash when a round is cleared rather than just go to black.  Munch Man is just more fun to play.

For the longest time, I too thought that both Pacmen (slight Goldberg's reference, ha) games were a little slow. BUT... played both just now and could maybe stand to revise my feeling on that, especially since they speed up as the game progresses. Besides a little slowdown when things get hectic though, I think they play very well all things considered.

Agree about the maze flashing between levels.  :)

Fun facts I quickly remembered: in Pac-Man, pressing the fire button slows the game down big time. Opposite is true in Ms. Pac-Man, but don't expect cardinal movements when doing so. 🙃 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, unhuman said:

Honestly, I think lowering the volume of the music, so the game sound effects are more apparent, would be an improvement.  But, music like this has always turned me off...  Tetris gets it right where so many just grate...

@Tursi modified the sound engine, I made changes to the bgm volume, @acadiel packaged up both fixes, here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2