IGNORED

What are the chances of mylar failing during shipping? Receiving unworking unit from AtariAge member

donjn

43 minutes ago, TZJB said:

This can be a common fault of some Atari XE keyboards. Long ago it was found that bridging the three keys with 3 KOhm resistors to ground will lower their operating resistance which then allows them to be recognised by the GTIA input pins. Solder the resistors to the right side of R134, R135 and R136 and connect the other ends to a ground plane. Also check that R95 is 1 KOhm as a 220R was factory fitted on some batches which can cause premature failure of the tracks.

Thank you, I'll open her up and have a look

Pulling the LED can allow just enough energy to overcome marginal console key registration, normally letting you know the tracks are good but too resistive, the resistor fix will work if that's the case. Replacing the mylar will also fix that.

I don't think most of us, including people doing repairs or selling stuff respond as quickly as one might wish. Even stores that have been in business for years/decades don't respond the same day or the next few days let alone within hours. The China sellers on ebay sure don't. In any event I wouldn't get worried about things within a day or few days. Patience is something all retro enthusiasts learn.

Most of us just look in on this when we aren't doing other stuff. It's not quite like a zoom call etc.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Pulling the LED can allow just enough energy to overcome marginal console key registration, normally letting you know the tracks are good but too resistive, the resistor fix will work if that's the case. Replacing the mylar will also fix that.

I don't think most of us, including people doing repairs or selling stuff respond as quickly as one might wish. Even stores that have been in business for years/decades don't respond the same day or the next few days let alone within hours. The China sellers on ebay sure don't. In any event I wouldn't get worried about things within a day or few days. Patience is something all retro enthusiasts learn.

Most of us just look in on this when we aren't doing other stuff. It's not quite like a zoom call etc.

Is there an easy way to remove the LED to test it out? I am just curious what I could have tried, even though I am not going to keep it.

it makes contact with a couple of conductive rubber pad, and sit in the holder. you can remove the screws that hold the keyboard together and it will be out in a jiffy. Or just jump the resistors as was shown in the fix up thread.

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

it makes contact with a couple of conductive rubber pad, and sit in the holder. you can remove the screws that hold the keyboard together and it will be out in a jiffy. Or just jump the resistors as was shown in the fix up thread.

Thanks Doc, but I've agreed to take the unit off @donjn hands, so I'll be investigating this myself when it arrives and be sure to report back in this thread as to what was found.

EDIT: It's a nice looking 65XE judging by this photo I was sent...

20230821_182651.jpg.ce4354a49ad3f218a808

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

@mytek How about making a youtube video of it's repair?   :-D

Yeah I was thinking of that - starting at the unboxing and initial hook-up and test.

It could serve well as a 'How-To' on diagnosing keyboard issues.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, mytek said:

Thanks Doc, but I've agreed to take the unit off @donjn hands, so I'll be investigating this myself when it arrives and be sure to report back in this thread as to what was found.

EDIT: It's a nice looking 65XE judging by this photo I was sent...

20230821_182651.jpg.ce4354a49ad3f218a808

Nice to see that he's including two of the three games I basically gave him a week ago, but he's decided to keep the copy of Q-Bert that he claims doesn't work.

Nice looking machine for an XE. Looks like a good deal. I bet it doesn't take much to make it work again. Stuff like this is why I hate trying to sell anything at all. I can daily drive a car for years, but the thing will fall apart on the first test drive when I try to sell. Actually had the trim fall off a chevelle I was selling years ago. I mean why/how? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is a little sidebar but, I seem to be plugging this show everywhere today so why not here?

It seems the 8 bits are getting some attention from folks who don't have any experience with them.  Great! 

Anybody looking to learn about what is involved in caring for these old machines should check out Adrian's Digital Basement channel on you-tube.  It isn't specifically about how to use an 8 bit Atari.  It is about problems and repairs on many old machines like Atari, Apple and Commodore.  I think it would be a great idea for anybody looking to get into retro collecting to check out his show.

BTW, I am not associated with Adrian in any way.  Just a fan.

Edited by SIO2
re order some words for better
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SIO2 said:

Anybody looking to learn about what is involved in caring for these old machines should check out Adrian's Digital Basement channel on you-tube.  It isn't specifically about how to use an 8 bit Atari.  It is about problems and repairs on many old machines like Atari, Apple and Commodore.  I think it would be a great idea for anybody looking to get into retro collecting to check out his show.

Yep I agree, That is a good show for sure, and he does a great job of showing how to diagnose problems. He also did a show recently on getting an 800XL up and running that had various issues, as well as an original 800.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adam242 said:

Nice to see that he's including two of the three games I basically gave him a week ago, but he's decided to keep the copy of Q-Bert that he claims doesn't work.

Gee, I wonder why I didnt include a non working Q-Bert?....I threw it away, it does not work. Im not gonna send someone non working items...cough...cough.

And you didnt give them to me I paid $20 for Star Raiders and Centipede.

Note to buyer: it's 70$, not 700 - so just eat it up: sell it on as is, buy new one elsewhere. Buying old machines is a bit of a lottery, and you did not lose much here, in fact it's really cheap. Damn, you even got 30$ back!

Note to seller: it's 70$, not 700 - so (next time) just eat it up: take it back and save yourself a lot of grief. Though judging by this buyer's attitude he'd probably ask you to pay shipping too 😁

6 hours ago, donjn said:

Gee, I wonder why I didnt include a non working Q-Bert?....I threw it away, it does not work. Im not gonna send someone non working items...cough...cough.

And you didnt give them to me I paid $20 for Star Raiders and Centipede.

Q-Bert may have been repairable, too.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, youxia said:

Note to buyer: it's 70$, not 700 - so just eat it up: sell it on as is, buy new one elsewhere. Buying old machines is a bit of a lottery, and you did not lose much here, in fact it's really cheap. Damn, you even got 30$ back!

Note to seller: it's 70$, not 700 - so (next time) just eat it up: take it back and save yourself a lot of grief. Though judging by this buyer's attitude he'd probably ask you to pay shipping too 😁

Im still being dragged through the mud here.

I cant delete this thread.

Ive said I was sorry.
Id like to move on.

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

just PM Albert and asked for it to be removed :)

Well I was kinda hoping that the this thread could remain since it already contains some good troubleshooting procedures that I provided over several earlier posts ;-)

Maybe better still everyone can just cool their jets and refrain from posting what the seller and buyer should have done. At this point it's all water under the bridge anyway, and I've already made arrangements to take the unit off of the buyers hands. Which I plan to use for an upcoming video on diagnosing and repairing keyboard related problems. And it would seem to make sense to post that video in this thread ;)

If someone has a bone to pick with the buyer, it would be better to take that into a PM.

• Like 5

@mytek  I agree although you know what happens with these threads is that your message soon gets lost as others read the first few posts and the whole thread perpetuates.

I wonder if it's worth deleting this but copying over the useful copy and trouble shooting suggestions into a new thread which you will be updating as you go through the motions and fix it. Would need Alberts approval but there it then becomes the new thread and this one can just fade away. Everyone's happy. Just a suggestion. Plus of course your new thread title can then be tailored to the topic.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I wonder if it's worth deleting this but copying over the useful copy and trouble shooting suggestions into a new thread which you will be updating as you go through the motions and fix it. Would need Alberts approval but there it then becomes the new thread and this one can just fade away. Everyone's happy. Just a suggestion. Plus of course your new thread title can then be tailored to the topic.

Yes I can see virtue in going through these motions if this thread continues to sink into the abyss. But is it really asking too much for people to exert some self control and let bygones be bygones? Oh that's right... this is AtariAge what am I thinking :lolblue:

As for the title of this topic, I think it's very descriptive and to the point of what could possibly be the actual problem. Or at least something that has been and might continue to be investigated, possibly leading to a solution.

• Like 2