IGNORED

Need help identifying score chasing console exclusives

Hello everyone! I am hoping to crowd source a list of games that fit the following two criteria:

1. top score chasing
  2. console exclusive

I am a teacher running a gaming club and one aspect of the club is playing arcade games and keeping track of high scores (not just initials, but name, grade, date, etc.). Right now I have 4 arcade sticks on raspberry pi 3s running 1942, Dig Dug, Mappy, Pac-man, and a few others. It is a huge hit, but I am out of arcade sticks. I like having club members play games with the controller input that the game was designed around. 

Now, the reason that I am looking for console exclusive score chasing games is that I would like to put out my NES mini, SNES mini, Genesis mini, PlayStation mini, MiSTer, etc. I have a ton of original hardware as well (6x Atari 2600s, 1x 7800, Colecovision, and pretty much everything up and through xbox360/Wii). The reason I am looking for these specific style games is that they all use gamepads for the most part. I realize that Atari 2600/7800 are pretty easy. Anything Activision even has their original "earn a badge" benchmark that I use with the students.

Does anyone have any suggestions that fit this criteria? Single play is fine, but it would be amazing if there were some multiplayer coop score chasers out there as I have a full compliment of controllers for every system.

List of systems I own:

Atari 2600

• Anything Activision

Atari 7800

NES

• RECCA (caravan shooter)
  • Hector '87 (caravan shooter)
  • Star Soldier (caravan shooter)

SNES

N64

Gamecube

Wii

Genesis

Dreamcast

• Crazy Taxi

PlayStation

PlayStation 2

Xbox

Xbox 360

List of systems I could acquire if needed:

TG-16

NeoGeo

Saturn

Jaguar

suggestions welcome...

Edited by Strickhouser
More information added
  • Like 1

Caravan shooters -- look towards Hudson and a couple others.  Their works tend to rest on the Famicom(NES) and the PC Engine(TG16)  Those are very designed for those systems and are all about score chasing, some even have specific timed caravan modes to do it.  Of some of the NES games 3 were popped into a Caravan Collection from Hudson on the SFC(SNES) as well.

Just now, Tanooki said:

Caravan shooters -- look towards Hudson and a couple others.  Their works tend to rest on the Famicom(NES) and the PC Engine(TG16)  Those are very designed for those systems and are all about score chasing, some even have specific timed caravan modes to do it.  Of some of the NES games 3 were popped into a Caravan Collection from Hudson on the SFC(SNES) as well.

That's a good idea. I have put SHMUPS on the back burner since most students don't love them. I meant to list RECCA for NES and I will add the other caravan shooters to that as well. Even at single play they are super fast. I like to put tune the DIP switches on my arcade games to max players out at about 7 minutes of play. Some students get really good though!

Recca is hardcore to the extreme so if they're already put off, that'll run them off.  The 3pack cart I spoke of are just the old NES games that had caravan showcase around Japan in the years they released and they're not a pushover but definitely very much more user friendly to players where it's not a 5sec insta-kill.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on for this question!  Maybe something like the Home Run Contest in Super Smash Bros Melee is the kind of thing you are looking for?

I see you have Crazy Taxi listed under Dreamcast, but that isn't a console exclusive.  (It was released later on GC and PS2.)  Are you looking for standout games per platform, or true exclusives?

11 hours ago, glazball said:

I'll have to put my thinking cap on for this question!  Maybe something like the Home Run Contest in Super Smash Bros Melee is the kind of thing you are looking for?

I see you have Crazy Taxi listed under Dreamcast, but that isn't a console exclusive.  (It was released later on GC and PS2.)  Are you looking for standout games per platform, or true exclusives?

Crazy Taxi is also on PC (and was originally an arcade game as well).

• Like 1