IGNORED

EVERYTHING on ATR? Is It Possible?

SoulBuster

On 11/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, DjayBee said:

Can you please add a list of all files in the archive to the 1st post? 

I would like to check if I can replace some of the remaining ATXs. 

While taking this list, I found a few magazine disks that were still in ATX format. Changing those will help the percentage.  They will not be included here.

Here are the remaining ATX's

Back to Basics Accounting System - Accounts Payable (1986)(Peachtree Software)(US)(Side A)[AM].atx
Back to Basics Accounting System - Accounts Payable (1986)(Peachtree Software)(US)(Side B)[AM].atx
Cut & Paste (1983)(Electronic Arts)(US)(Side A)(Program Disk)[!][A8SP].atx
Financial Cookbook (1984)(Electronic Arts)(US)[!].atx
Fleet System 2 (1985)(Professional Software)(US)(Disk 1 of 2)(Program Disk)[No Boot][BASIC][req 64K].atx
Fleet System 2 (1985)(Professional Software)(US)(Disk 2 of 2)(Dictionary Disk)[No Boot][BASIC][req 64K].atx
Guitar Wizard (1986)(Baudville)(US)[A8SP].atx
DeathLand (1994)(StanBit)(PL)[A8SP].atx
Guardian!, The (1986)(Computer Software Services)(US)[!][A8SP].atx
Backup Master, The v3.0 (1986)(Duplicating Technologies)(US)(Side A)[BASIC][A8SP].atx
Cassette Operating System (C.O.S.) (1983)(Alpha Systems)(US)[A8SP].atx
DX-Editor (1986)(Hybrid Arts)(US).atx
File Protector!, The (19xx)(Computer Software Services)(US)[f][A8SP].atx
Hard Disk Backup Pro!, The v1.5 (1991)(Computer Software Services)(US)[!].atx

Appreciate the help!!

Full directory listing in POST ONE.

In case you have not found these before

[DB] - Sourced from Diaperboy (EA Games)(Chipmunk 1.61D.025)

I will be using this to crack the remaining EA titles, that CSS did not crack.  All games listed in this version of Chipmunk will be done on the next file release.

• Like 1

This one was a little strange to move from cassette to disk.

The original CAS has two programs on it, Fontedit and Knotwork.

IRIDIS #2 (1980-09)(The Code Works)(US)[!][CLOAD+RUN][BASIC].cas

I setup the Fontedit disk and copied the 3 font files from Cassette to disk. It loads them just fine.

Fontedit - IRIDIS #2 (1980-09)(The Code Works)(US)[!][BASIC][T A8SP].atr

Knotwork was not so easy.  As it sits on the cassette, it does not work.  There seemed to be only two sections for Knotwork. The program and what I thought was a font file which follows. It is not a font file. It is a listing of some BASIC lines of code.

I loaded the BASIC program, entered the lines of extra code and saved it to a bootable disk to make a complete program.  The program was still looking for FANCY.FNT from disk.

I checked to see if any of the fonts from Fontedit would work and it appears that FONT3.FNT does the job. I copied FONT3.FNT to FANCY.FNT on the Knotwork disk and it all appears to be working.

Knotwork - IRIDIS #2 (1980-09)(The Code Works)(US)[!][BASIC][T A8SP].atr

I say appears as I have done very little testing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just received a cracked version of Fleet System 2, Thank You!

Only 4 ATX's left.

DeathLand (1994)(StanBit)(PL)[A8SP]

File Protector!, The (19xx)(Computer Software Services)(US)[f][A8SP]

Guardian!, The (1986)(Computer Software Services)(US)[!][A8SP]

Hard Disk Backup Pro!, The v1.5 (1991)(Computer Software Services)(US)[!]

Interesting move from a Compilation disk to its own disk.

The compilation:

Jungle Hunt;AST Copy Normal;Keystone Kapers;Cohen's Towers;Submission;Pooyan;Trailblazer;Turbo-Copy.atr

All the titles on this disk are found else where with the exception of AST and Turbo-Copy. AST converted to ATR just fine and became this:

Copy Turbo XC12 - Standard (-)(S.N.)(-)[B TOSEC].atr

I was not so lucky with Turbo-Copy.  I tried the same method as above, but DOS's could not recognize it as bootable ML program.

I have been trying the following method from the beginning of this project on tough titles. 

1. Using COS (Cassette Operating System) I copy the file to cassette.
  2. Test to see if the cassette boots.
  3. If the cassette boots, I use "Cassette to Disk Copy (19xx)(Wittmann, Dean)" to make a boot load disk.

This has never worked until now.  Here is the results:

Turbo-Copy (1987)(Krakow, Daiusz Modrinic)(PL)[B TOSEC].atr

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I looked at the directory of this one, it challenged me to crack it.

Laser Wars.atr

It does load under the XL OS, but has a BASIC Rev. A requirement. I wanted to remove that requirement.

This title does quite a bit to fool you into going down the wrong path.  Directory moved, delete files are actually used, false files, etc.  

There are two BASIC programs used for this title.  Hello, is used only for copy protection so I eliminated a USR call from it. This removed the need for BASIC Rev. A.

The main program, "WAR", was list protected.  I used Backup Master 3.0 to unlock it.

After checking my work, I noticed that the graphics did not come over.  I found them on raw sectors in the middle of the disk. 

I copied, just those sectors to my newly created disk and here is the results:

Laser Wars (1981)(Crystalware)(US)[BO AM].atr

2 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

Hello, is used only for copy protection so I eliminated a USR call from it. This removed the need for BASIC Rev. A.

There is no copy protection on any of the Crystalware titles I stumbled upon so far.

The affected BASIC command line initializes some stuff in DOS 1 and ends with a call into DOS.

10000 POKE 10,35: POKE 11,242: POKE 12,136: POKE 13,7: POKE 1804,48: POKE 1805,18: TRAP 10100: X=USR(1928)

Unfortunately - like many other "needs BASIC Rev.A titles" - there is no PLA at the beginning of the machine language routine to draw the parameter count from the stack. (Why should there be any if you jump directly into DOS? ;))

These titles do not crash on BASIC Rev.A only out of pure luck. The correct return address is $B0A8 which puts $A7 $B0 onto the stack.

Due to the added (and not pulled) count of #0 parameters the actually used return address is $A701 ($00 $A7 on the stack). This is by pure coincidence somewhere in the initialisation code of BASIC. The only real drawback is that with every one of the USR calls the stack gets cluttered with unpulled data, making it wrap around after a certain number of calls.

Fortunately the below two commands have the exact same number of bytes. So I could replace one with the other in the disk image.

X=USR(1928)
? USR(ADR("hL◢╲"))

The second one does:
PLA
JMP 1928

Please be aware that there might be more of these non-PLA USR-calls in the game, making it fail at a later time with non-Rev.A BASIC.

Laser Wars [any BASIC][OS-B].atr

• Thanks 2

These are part of the project, but I though I would post them here.  The only way to make new ones is to either copy one of these or you need to have the UltraSpeed+ OS install in your computer (I do). Unless, of course, someone has figured out how to extract the generator as a file from the the UltraSpeed+ OS.

Mach Ten Menu - Ultra Speed+ (-)(Computer Software Services)(US)[SB].zip

• Like 1

This title came on an enhanced density disk.  Any time I run across a disk that is not SSSD, I try to make it SSSD.

Magic Read (-)(w.f. und s.r. Software)(DE).atr

It first renames DOS.SYS as inverse Magic R.ead. Then stores a hidden file (ZAHLRAT.BIN) on the enhanced sectors.  If you just try to sector copy it from ED to SD it does not work because of this.

So I unhide ZAHLRAT.BIN and copy all the files to a new SD DOS disk.  All the files fit so this is the result.

Magic Read (-)(w.f. und s.r. Software)(DE)[F TOSEC].atr

• Like 1

Hi.  Magic Spell is one of my creations.  It was published in the September 1986 issue of Analog magazine.  I've attached an ATR with Magic Spell on it.  I also included Fastload which allows you to build up a personal dictionary faster.  When you run Fastload, you point it to a document which already has correctly spelled words in it.  It will load all the words in the document to the dictionary without any prompts to the user.  Make sure you only feed it documents containing correctly spelled words.

Have fun!

Angelo

Magic Spell.atr analog_no_46.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Magic Window (1982)(Quicksilva)(GB)[cassette].zip

It is a font editor geared towards cassette.  The fonts are loaded and saved using LIST and ENTER in BASIC. Lines 0-11 are used for this purpose.

Yesterday I spent a few hours trying to get this one from tape to disk. Getting it to a disk and making it interact with a disk was easy.  The problem was working within the Graphics mode of the program. I nearly gave up, but gave it another shot this morning. 

I added a routine to the basic program to cover both Disk and Cassette only to find out that the graphic mode used only allows lower case inverse characters to be displayed.  I tried an INPUT statement to get the file name that a disk would need, but again upper case characters are not displayed, scrapped.

So this morning, I came up with "Disk Slot Number".  This version of the program can have 10 fonts per disk 0-9.  You need to make another disk if you want more fonts. 

Magic Window (1982)(Quicksilva)(GB)[T A8SP].atr

I found a reason to actually combine titles into one.  These came separately on tape.

Mathe-Stunde - Lektion 1 (Die).cas

Mathe-Stunde - Lektion 2 (Die).cas

Mathe-Stunde - Lektion 3 (Die).cas

Here is what it looks like when combined and moved to disk:

Mathe-Stunde, Die - Lektionen 1-3 (1986)(Europa Computer-Club)(DE)[BASIC][T AM].atr

Found this a little while ago.

adir_bin.zip

It is an extractor for a multitude of DOS/OS/Booting systems for the Atari.  It does BAS2BOOT files, YES!!!! 

It runs under Windows XP. It does not run under Windows 11.

This is the results of the first run using it.

Mathematics (1983-02-13)(Roy R. Dugan)(US)[B2B TOSEC].atr

@www.atarimania.com needs this program.

I have 3 others that I will use it on.

THERE WILL BE NO MORE BAS2BOOT FILES IN THIS PROJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1