IGNORED

EVERYTHING on ATR? Is It Possible?

SoulBuster

This one took some time.

Computer Command (1983)(C.S. Software)(GB)[CLOAD+RUN][BASIC][A8SP].cas

There are three BASIC programs on the cassette with one data file (font file?). The first program needed to be recovered (messed up line numbers, etc.), but the other two were list protected and also needed recovery.

The cassette is designed to load each section using ML USR strings from BASIC.  I REMed those out and added appropriate RUN commands.

Then I used: 

Cassette Operating System (C.O.S.) (1983)(Alpha Systems)(US)[A8SP].atx

to copy the data section of the tape to a data file. I changed the code of the 2nd BASIC program to load the data from disk instead of cassette to create the following:

Computer Command (1983)(C.S. Software)(GB)[BASIC][T A8SP].atr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

uDOS (German)

I also could not find DOS 2XL but it seems to be written by @thorfdbg who hopefully will be summoned by this.

And another one: 3 Sector read only DOS

The 3 sector DOS looks interesting. It currently does not autoload a BASIC program. When it does, I will take a look again.

Dos 2.XL is attached (or rather, its system disk with the complete toolchain). But note that this Dos is in so far minimal as it has a minimal RAM footprint on the XL machines (about 163 bytes if I recall), though is a full-fledged DOS that keeps its DOS under the OS ROM. Otherwise, it is a precursor of the Dos 2.++ which is the built-in Dos of the Atari++ emulator and ROM based. Thus, it is no surprise the Dos 2.++  system disk is quite similar, just maintained better. I have not worked on 2.XL since a long time, 2.++ is the "active branch".

The drawback is, of course, that you cannot combine it with TurboBasic as Turbo also uses the RAM under the Os. There is a special version for that case (Dos 2.XA) which is feature-wise identical, and very close to the features of Dos 2.++.

It requires, however, a 1050 extended density disk drive - formats to 963 sectors, and keeps the "DOS.SYS" in the (otherwise non-reachable) sectors, i.e. every disk it formats is "bootable". It is not suitable for "keeping all files on a single ATR" as it is limited to a single VTOC with a maximum capacity of 963 sectors (as said).

dos2xl.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, thorfdbg said:

Dos 2.XL is attached ...

It requires, however, a 1050 extended density disk drive - formats to 963 sectors, and keeps the "DOS.SYS" in the (otherwise non-reachable) sectors, i.e. every disk it formats is "bootable". It is not suitable for "keeping all files on a single ATR" as it is limited to a single VTOC with a maximum capacity of 963 sectors (as said).

dos2xl.zip 32.62 kB · 5 downloads

Errmm, DOS2XL also works with single density / 90k (but then the DOS.SYS is not invisible and occupies some sectors). Just run the file "Single" or "Single.COM" to format with 90k and write the DOS.SYS file.

Running ML files with DOS2XL is easy, just rename them to Autorun.SYS. Running Basic files is also easy, just use one of the dozens (or hundreds?) of Autorun.SYS creators for Basic files which can e.g. be found in Analog, Antic, Compute or almost any magazine that published listings for the A8. Even Atari themselves had such an Autorun.SYS creator available for Basic files (on the DOS 2.5 masterdisk and elsewhere). The attached Basic file RUNBAS.BAS is such an Autorun.SYS creator, when loaded simply type in the name of the file you want to run automatically e.g. RUN"D : Filename.EXT" or RUN"D1:Filename.EXT" ; it will then create an Autorun.SYS file, so make sure you inserted the correct disk (the one that has the file you want to run automatically). This Autorun.SYS file does not show the name of the program which is loaded, you simply see the READY prompt and then loading continues...

-----

Regarding Bas2Boot, this can only load single stage files. But if a program consists of multiple files (2, 3 or more files), then Bas2Boot cannot load it, since Run"D:File2.BAS" does not work (no DOS loaded! no D device available) and Run"C:" also does not work. CasDis has no problem loading multi-stage programs with RUN"C:" from diskette, as long as there are no more than 8 stages. (Note: CasDis 1.0 has a bug and cannot load Basic files, since it uses CLOAD:RUN which does not work, version 2.0 uses POKE 842,12:RUN"C:" which works - and loads from diskette.)

CasDIS also loads ML tape files from diskette, with max. 8 stages and no stage longer than 42.5KBytes. Thus, Thomahawk, California Run, Roulette Simulator and many others cannot be copied with it, since they have at least one stage longer than 42.5KBytes. And there are also many ML tapes with more than 8 stages, e.g. Phantom, Gauntlet, Nightmares, etc. which do not work due to this limitation. CasDis was originally written for Atari 800 with max. 48K RAM, even the newer version 2.0 supports only 48K RAM, with 42.5KBytes available to copy tapes to diskette.

RUNBAS.zip

• Thanks 1

OK.  I've settled on uDOS. 

udos.zip

What I like:

• It is a boot sector DOS (3 sectors only).
  • It has the basic DOS commands needed for file access after loading a program. (D1: and 1 file only please).
  • It does not show [RUN"D:XXXXXXXX.XXX"].  Thank you!
  • The file system is still available to DOS, even in Sparta DOS. Thank You!
  • It can load multiple segments.

What I do not like, but can live with:

When autobooting BASIC files you use RUNBAS.COM renamed to AUTORUN (no, not AUTORUN.SYS).  This loads AUTORUN.BAS in BASIC.  All programs that RUNBAS.COM boots must be named AUTORUN.BAS. I prefer using an AUTORUN.SYS that uses a file name that I provide.  To get around this I wrote a small INTRO that will be used as the AUTORUN.BAS. It allows me to use a more descriptive names for the actual programs.  INTRO has only 3 lines:

10 GRAPHICS 0

20 ? "PLEASE WAIT!"

30 RUN "D:XXXXXXXX.XXX" (FOTBALOV in this case)

This INTRO will then run the MAIN program.  It is also handy when there is a long delay before a BASIC program changes the display.

FOTBALOVY TRENER 3 with uDOS.

Fotbalovy Trener 3 (1994)(Datri Software)(CZ)[BASIC][uDOS][T TOSEC].atr

3 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

I tried SINGLE and SINGLE.COM for DOS2XL.  I even tried INIT SINGLE. None of them work with the file provided.

I would like to use it, but for this project I cannot unless I can get SD ATR's from it.

I just ran SINGLE.COM on the command line, switched the disk image to an empty one, formatted the disk (menu 1.) and afterwards wrote the DOS (menu 4.).

dos2xl-sd.atr

With auto-starting Fotbalov:

dos2xl-sd-fotbalov.atr

9 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

OK.  I've settled on uDOS. 

udos.zip 25.28 kB · 1 download

What I do not like, but can live with:

When autobooting BASIC files you use RUNBAS.COM renamed to AUTORUN (no, not AUTORUN.SYS).  This loads AUTORUN.BAS in BASIC.  All programs that RUNBAS.COM boots must be named AUTORUN.BAS. I prefer using an AUTORUN.SYS that uses a file name that I provide.  To get around this I wrote a small INTRO that will be used as the AUTORUN.BAS. It allows me to use a more descriptive names for the actual programs.  INTRO has only 3 lines:

Well,

regarding RUNBAS.COM and RUNCOM.COM, there are disk/sector-editors available which you can use to change letters and numbers. Simply use a disk/sector editor and change D:Autorun.BAS (7.3 filename) into something else, like D:Mygame.BAS. I have a newer version in my collection that allows for 8.3 filename, my RUNBAS.COM file simply says RUN"D:FILENAME.EXT" which I always change into the filename I want. Same for RUNCOM.COM.

---

Regarding DOS2XL, simply type in Single at the D1: prompt and press Return. It should now load the file which presents a german menu where you can choose if you only want to format single density, format and write DOS.SYS, go back to DOs, etc. These are the six menu options:

1. format in single density (90K)

2. format and write DOS 2.XL (uses RAM under ROM, very low memlo)

3. format and write DOS 2.XA (does not use RAM under the OS, higher memlo)

4. write only DOS 2.XL

5. write only DOS 2.XA

6. back to DOS

With Atari 800 Win loading Single does not work, Error 139 appears (no clue why), but with Altirra the file gets loaded and you get the above mentioned german menu which you can use to fomat 90k and write DOS 2 XL.

---

The attached picture shows the contents of two disk images, on top of the screen you see the contents of a DOS2XL image with 90k, notice that the DOS is named DOS810XL.SYS there and has a length of 43 sectors. 810 means that it uses single density (90k) and XL means that it uses RAM under the OS with a memlo of $0786 (or was it $0768 ?). Autorun.SYS is an ordinary Autorun file that loads a Basic file automatically (here the file Loader.BAS which is used with all Europa tapes)

In the middle of the screen you see the contents of a uDOS disk image, it has the same files as the DOS2XL image, uDos is hidden in the boot sectors (and therefore invisible), Autorun loads the Basic file LOADER.BAS

On the bottom of the screen you can see the contents of the (uDOS) Autorun file, I simply used a sector-editor and changed D:Autorun.Bas into D:Loader.BAS and so the program I want gets loaded. Note that udos provides the D : device, thus loading multi-stage programs is possible and it is also possible to save to diskette - but saving works only to an already existing file (overwriting mode, uDOS cannot create a new file). Furthermore the file you are saving (e.g. highscore) must have the same length as the file that is already on diskette.

RUNBAS.jpg

There is something wrong with your DOS 2XL disk image since there are "000 FREE SECTORS" and no files in the directory. Normally the disk should have approx. 608 free sectors and two dozen (or so) files on it... You should boot the disk image and display the directory from within DOS2XL (looks like other DOS versions will not see the entire directory).

Attached you will find "my" versions: a) the 130k disk image I downloaded many moons ago from Thor's webpage (approx. 608 free sectors) and b) the 90k disk image (DOS2XL_SD.atr, approx. 565 free sectors) I just created for you.

DOS2XL_090k.thumb.jpg.b5e5e3b2936053564f5976e8af165e87.jpg

DOS2XL_130k.thumb.jpg.b9c1172dd141ed3eb63dcf7732d98744.jpg

NOTE: Both images and formatting do work fine in Altirra, but do NOT work with Atari 800 Win. And errrm, the file SINGLE also requires the files DOS2XL.OBJ and DOS2XA.OBJ to be present. (It also looks like Altirra sets the DOS2XL images to virtual R/W, you have to change this into R/W if you want to format a new disk image.)

DOS2XL_SD_ED.zip

Cymbal Software has a 20 game cassette set that CharlieChaplin reconstructed with CasDis (Games 20)

Also included in that set was a DOS disk set of just the files.

With the exception of Maze Master, Senorita (still CasDis ATR's) and Demon Hunt (DOS 2.5 worked, my default DOS), I was able to set up each of the games to access their Data Files through DOS instead of CASSETTE using uDOS. 

Cymbal Software.zip

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

When I load the ATR and try a DIR and SINGLE, I get this

I get this from SpartaDos

Also the Fotbalovy ATR does not boot into the BASIC program for me.

Both images work fine.

Do you have an active "D: patch"? Deselect it!

image.png.85e7a278dafcd2823bdde522f41e8657.png

• Thanks 1

New file v.08 available on POST ONE. Titles processed through the letter 'G'.

Always pick up the new file as I have been changing titles that I have completed previously, but found a new/better way to convert them.

Files   5,180
ATR's  5,013 96.7%
ATX's  26
CAS's  23
CAR's  40
XEX's  75
ROM's I am removing these as they are not bootable by any device
         364 Tape Conversions
         47 Removed OSB/OSA requirements.

• Like 1

I spent a few hours on this one.

There are 3 parts to loading these, 1 ML and 2 BASIC.  The ML does not matter as it only loads the first basic program, eliminated.

First BASIC Program.

They were list protected that even Backup Master could not unprotect.

I used Cassette Operating System (C.O.S.) to copy the first BASIC program to a data disk.

Cassette Operating System (C.O.S.) (1983)(Alpha Systems)(US)[A8SP].atx

Then used BASIC XE Detokenizer to list the program to disk

Basic XE Detokenizer v1.11 (1989-06-04)(Psycho).atr

Entered it in and changed it to load the next BASIC program from disk instead of cassette.

Second BASIC program.

These programs were too big for COS to copy.

I used Disk-Cassette Manager to copy the program from cassette to disk sectors.

Disk-Cassette Manager (1984)(MAO)(US)[AO].atr

Then I used my K-File Extractor at 128 bytes per sector to create a file.

K-File Extractor v1.4 (2023-10-22)(Naber, Tim)(US)[BASIC][SB].atr

Here are the original CAS files:

Historia Polski Original.zip

And the results:

Historia Polski 8 Czesci (-)(-)(PL))[T AO].zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 5:53 PM, SoulBuster said:

That was the problem. Good to know. I will stay with uDOS, though.

To give you a bit more background: The reason is that 2.XL also keeps the drive buffers behind the Os ROM. To make this happen, serial transfer - as it is initiated by the SIO in ROM - needs to be intercepted such that the received bytes can be moved to the drive buffer that sits in a place were SIO (as ROM component) cannot reach them. That, of course, only works if there is actually a serial interrupt coming, and that only works if SIO remains unaffected and the transfer is not bypassing the usual hardware mechanisms. It is quite unlikely that uDos will have a smaller RAM footprint.

In 2++, the issue is solved in a slightly different way, with another external component (FMSOVL.SYS).