IGNORED

Just bought an Atari Flashback 2, how to tell if its genuine vs. fake?

Minaz

I have been wanting to get an Atari Flashback 2 unit for a while now, but always hesitated because of the counterfeit Flashback 2 issue that I've read about. However, yesterday I found one for $5 (new in box) and couldn't resist, so bought it on an impulse. Then, I ordered an RCA 4-way splitter from Amazon ($11) so that I could share my one TV with RCA input between my AtGames ColecoVision Flashback and the Atari Flashback 2.

Now that I have time to think about it, I am wondering if it is too good to be true? After all, I think that if it were the genuine item, it would definitely still be worth more than $5? How can I check to see if the Atari Flashback 2 is genuine or fake?

Actually I would like to know what to expect if worst comes to worst, it is fake? Do the fakes use an emulator such as an embedded ARM chip vs the original hardware on the non-fakes? Or do they still use non-emulated original hardware, only of a lower quality? In other words, are the fakes even playable (in case the worst possible scenario occurs), and if they are, do they do so using emulation or original hardware like the non-fakes?

Thanks!

I'd never heard of a fake one either!,  Doesn't mean they don't exist,  but I  hadn't heard.

Then I just looked up this article from 2011 (which is now 12 years old!),   but even older if you read this later than 2023!!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/atari-suing-over-counterfeit-consoles/1100-6322760/

PS  According to one of the comments, all games on the fake are displayed in Black & White.

• 3 months later...

Yeah. I remember seeing a couple of pallets of these at a Smith's store in Carson City NV, well after they were supposed to be available. I bought one and started comparing it to the FB2's that I had and noticed slight differences in the Atari logo on the counterfeit one. I brought it up to Curt (Vendel) at the time and he knew nothing about them. After his research, he found that they were illegally made and distributed. There is an old post in this group about it when it happened with images pointing out what to look for.