IGNORED

Gotek for your IBM PC JR use for essentially about $1

15 hours ago, newTIboyRob said:

Let's keep something in mind about my particular situation if we can. If you scroll up to my first post on this thread, you will see that getting a spreadsheet and a word processor to work in my PC JR  was my only goal, and getting those on a 5.25 floppy disk I could use in my PC JR were as far as I really wanted to go with the machine.  I really don't plan on using it much in the future for disk images and the like to justify that purchase.

Yes, I am aware of the length of that basic program. But.... I am used to typing in programs in the past, and if I can average like 3 lines per minute, we are talking like under 3 hours, with practically no stress, no cables, nothing on the hardware end mod-wise, and no need for any extra devices, thus not even a cost involved, just time. I could even do it in bits and pieces. Again, let's factor all that in to my specific situation/goal here.

That being said... if I type in the basic program above, on my 5150, and save to a 5.25 floppy, is it likely it will work on my PC Jr?  If you don't foresee any snags, and since I could type it and save it on either machine, which machine would be the safer choice to type it out and save it on do you think?

If you have a 1990s era compatible PC, you can take one the 360k floppy drives from your 5150, temporarily connect it to your 1990s PC, and make the floppies you need.  Wouldn't have to buy anything else, not even a transfer cable.

Good to know that, mr_me.  I don't have any 1990's era PC... just these "vintage" computers and a 2021 PC. But thank you anyway. It's just ironic that such a simple need such as this is turning out to be such a complex concept!  But I guess that's what you get when you have to mix old time machines with new time machines....or go on a hunt for like ancient software.

Thus.. I would still need to find someone who does have the above and who would be willing to make those Supercalc-2 and Wordstar 5.25" floppy disks for the PCJr...

Edited by newTIboyRob

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 10:47 AM, newTIboyRob said:

Good to know that, mr_me.  I don't have any 1990's era PC... just these "vintage" computers and a 2021 PC. But thank you anyway. It's just ironic that such a simple need such as this is turning out to be such a complex concept!  But I guess that's what you get when you have to mix old time machines with new time machines....or go on a hunt for like ancient software.

Thus.. I would still need to find someone who does have the above and who would be willing to make those Supercalc-2 and Wordstar 5.25" floppy disks for the PCJr...

I happen to have the Lotus 123 carts that you previously mentioned.  One of my unfinished projects is putting together a PC Jr, so I was saving them for that reason.  But honestly, I probably would get much use out of Lotus 123 after the initial test and playaround. Send me a PM, maybe we can work out something.