IGNORED

HSC20 Round 15: JUNGLE HUNT

therealbountybob

JUNGLE HUNT

Often HSC played, fun game - turn off overscan on the emulators so you don't see the edges in the screenshot below!

image.png.054227b18b30f23014a583df9a7898d7.png

Fandal has XEX

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2144

Instructions on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/a8b_Jungle_Hunt_1983_Atari_US_k_file

Play on default settings "Regular" Difficulty

Bonus Challenge - high score for 1st level (all 4 stages) in 1 life ;)

BONUS GAME

JUNGLE BOY

Think this one was terrible but a happy looking Bounty Bob seems to make an appearance :!:

image.png.97d4787b7d9e1271c322f4a41646e759.png

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2110

Round ends 10pm Fri 15th September

Hints for both games on post below.

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY :waving:

• Like 1

Some tips from previous HSC plays

[trbb]

@CC - any tips on the boulders stages for Jungle Hunt - I seemed to duck some of the big the boulders and try and jump the rest - sometimes doubled up. Did you walk under any?

@McK - Jungle Boy - the start of the 2nd screen really put me off this game - I could only get to the disappearing platform with my feet over the right edge of the start platform; otherwise I couldn't get to the first vine? Is this right?

[CaptainClassic]

I never duck under the rocks. It seemed to me that usually the best course of action was to jump towards a slowly descending big rock, or jump vertical (must hold up to jump big) for the fast descending rocks and he small ones. For the slow big ones I usually back up until I can jump a fast slow one at he same time.

As for L2 of jungle boy, you can jump from the far left to land in the disappearing platform, or the far right to go immediately to the vine.

[McKong]Yes I was jumping from the very far right of that 1st platform on level 2.

57 minutes ago, AtariSphinx said:

I was able to walk under some of the big boulders.  Most of the time I duck the big boulders.

:thumbsup:Hmmm - sure I didn't have much success with that last tine -  are you running up to them or trying to pick a spot in advance?

Just played my first session of Jungle Hunt - Regular is a bit hard but we'll stick with it - if anyone really can't get anywhere play on Beginner for a bonus. At least on Regular you get to confront this sooner than playing through Beginner then getting frustrated. Managed to defeat the big boulders on my 4th go. Jumped over them found it better to be over half way across the screen so you can attack it sooner. Seems to be 1 big one on it's own then one with a smaller one soon after.

Completed the first round with a score of 18,180 and reached the boulders again on the 2nd round 20,980 :)

Jungle Boy oh Boy, some insane stuff but still fun, aren't those baddies out of Candy Factory or something :ponder: Think I've figured out the first board, need to be patient :!:

May shorten this round slightly and then roll into ROF and a Season Catch up at the same time :idea:

[]my screenshots seem to have disappeared 😦

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

- sure I didn't have much success with that last tine -  are you running up to them or trying to pick a spot in advance?

Running up to them and past them if I see it has a large bounce.    I did it on level 2 and 3. Don't think I saw any chances to walk under in level 1.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AtariSphinx said:

Running up to them and past them if I see it has a large bounce.    I did it on level 2 and 3. Don't think I saw any chances to walk under in level 1.

Thanks AtariSphinx, will try that again next session :)

Jungle Boy somehow got to the third level 1,151 Simultaneously annoying and fun to play :!:

Photo4270.jpg.0d49b10bdbeae1ca31211d470ff07400.jpg

Season 20 Current Standings Updated: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/348454-hsc20-current-standings/

• Like 2

Jungle Boulders Second Round

Note: I nearly always play these games on the keyboard. Just noticed on the Rocks that I could jump higher 🙂  

Ctrl + < + ^  (< Arrows Keys) 

Jump the little ones, duck the big ones.

Might help. But not one of favourites games, so far.

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Wonder if that's the end of the game sort of looks like hone :!: Away from Atari again until next week, will play both games more then :)

]

Maybe :).   This game was annoying at first but it grew on me.    Bit strange the used bounty bob and if you do that why not also copy signature his death

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Maybe :).   This game was annoying at first but it grew on me.    Bit strange the used bounty bob and if you do that why not also copy signature his death

It was too graphic to recreate :D

How about a

Jungle Hunt level 1 high score bonus challenge (all 4 stages) - in one life :!:

• Haha 1

Had a long session on both games

Jungle Hunt didn't crack the 2nd (advanced) boulders stage but got close.

24,260 & 17,900 for first round (regular) in 1 man challenge :)

Photo4275.jpg.136a8776abc0e0afa0c663c39404b580.jpgPhoto4273.jpg.7cd8cc19380ac69c96c68b79a6504522.jpg

Jungle Boy :-o Eventually managed to complete the first round of 4 screens and saw the stunning Mrs Bob (grabbed a photo but it's not great!) for a quickie before I made a poor show of it on the 2nd round where it's much faster but you have a full set of lives again. 3,214 I need a  medal :D

Photo4277.jpg.181111bcf0df4ccfae09f35a70f4298f.jpgPhoto4279.jpg.07b2d597b53b91522069a07b1888801c.jpgPhoto4280.jpg.e0d49fa38c8df47d1b87c54029d58718.jpg

Reminder this round ends Friday 15th Sept. 10pm UK time

• Like 3

Jungle Hunt - 40680 (Level 3 Rocks)

Jungle Hunt Level 1 - 18900

Jungle Boy - 5536 (3-3)

Jungle Hunt is always great fun.  I used to be able to reach level 4, but not this time.  Scoring tip: The crocs in the swimming scene are worth more points if you can knife them when their jaws are open.

Jungle Boy...shouldn't exist.  This is NOT the real Bounty Bob. 😁  I did manage to beat the game a couple of times.  Once you figure out all 4 stages, it's pretty simple (if touchy).

image.thumb.png.19722bcfffb7c55c9d980abe7da2a06e.png image.thumb.png.4428a0e8b23f3db5c672d328ec684c12.png

image.thumb.png.b916514809dea3c5180b288c9292e667.png

• Like 2

Congratulations to rdrunner for the win, thanks for playing everyone. Jungle Hunt is a good game but the 2nd boulders (Advanced Boulders) is just a bit too hard and even with all my lives on several goes I didn't get past that bit. Jungle Boy is a killer but I'm glad to have completed the first round and seen Mrs. Bob :love: :D

final tables

Jungle Hunt       HSC
  Player   Score   Points
1st rdrunner   40,680   12
2nd AtariSphinx   33,890   11
3rd therealbountybob   24,260   10
4th McKong                 21,500   9
5th RedThunder   18,620   8
6th MichaG   6,200   7
7th carlsson   6,100   6

Jungle Hunt Bonus Challenge  
  Player Score Pts