IGNORED

The utilities that others might not know

JKK

Hi!

What are the utility programs for 8-bit Atari that are forgotten or almost forgotten nowadays? Any proposals?

As start of the discussion, video about some Polish utilities (both for "normal" users and for IT geeks):

Polish utilities for Atari 8-bit (music, text editing, programming)

Do you know what software was used to compose music or edit texts decades ago? Or perhaps do you prefer assembly programming? As a bonus, amazing songs played on an 8 bit computer, some in stereo!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, JKK said:

Hi!

What are the utility programs for 8-bit Atari that are forgotten or almost forgotten nowadays? Any proposals?

As start of the discussion, video about some Polish utilities (both for "normal" users and for IT geeks):

Polish utilities for Atari 8-bit (music, text editing, programming)

Do you know what software was used to compose music or edit texts decades ago? Or perhaps do you prefer assembly programming? As a bonus, amazing songs played on an 8 bit computer, some in stereo!

Interesting! I'd like to see a series of videos reviewing the most popular utilities.

On 9/4/2023 at 3:48 PM, Yautja said:

Interesting! I'd like to see a series of videos reviewing the most popular utilities.

The most popular are quite well known. Don't you think that those less popular could be more interesting?

What software would you suggest to put on that list?

A lesser-known one (I think) is the Swifty Utilities, available at Atarimania.  These are credited to Jerry White and Fernando Herrera.  They are Basic utilities, and it was the first Basic utilities package that I bought BITD.  I had a lot of fun with these, and used them a lot.

7 hours ago, JKK said:

The most popular are quite well known. Don't you think that those less popular could be more interesting?

What software would you suggest to put on that list?

I'm one of those who used the computer mostly as a videogame machine. So, I'd be totally amazed to know about the "10 top utilities" for A8.

The few titles I remember now (but never used them more than 10 times AFAIK): 
AtariWriter Plus
SynCalc
Diamond GOS
The Print Shop
The Home Filling Manager
KoalaPainter
SynFile+
RAMbrandt
Xlent Word Processor

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 5:03 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

I'd also suggest adding tools to the list that make working with the machine from a desktop computer easier.  Stuff like atrfs and a8rawconv, for starters.

for PC programs, #1 would have to be Altirra.  When I am working on a project, I have a minimum of 7 Virtual Ataris running.