IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

5 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

I love it when someone is stating what something is when its not even out.   

What has been stated has been confirmed multiple times by multiple sources.  It is an emulation box that doesn't work with Harmony / Melody carts.  Therefore, it is essentially a Retron 77 in a nicer case.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

I don't need to wait for it to come out to make basic observations. We have seen the game compatibility list, we know what inputs/outputs the device has. It's using the same cart dump method the Retron uses, minus the SD slot, plus 7800 compatibility, for twice the price of what Hyperkin delivered years ago. 

I'm not down on the new Atari as a whole or on them buying Atariage but the 2600+ is a joke. If they can't beat what Hyperkin delivered years ago at a lower price they should be ready to accept the criticism that comes with it, because Hyperkin sucks. 

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

I can appreciate the skepticism, there is a lot of history that the current Atari has to overcome to earn back the trust of the classic gaming community.

..Al

will they also provide technical support (like firmware upgrades, hacks,etc.) for the AtGames Flashback 9 and X series consoles to assure full-compatibility with all existing and future ROMs including ARM-based games???

Edited by BIGHMW
spelling error

Just now, BIGHMW said:

will they also provide technical support (like firmware upgrades, hacks,etc.) for th AtGames Flashback 9 and X series consoles to assure full-compatibility with all existing and future ROMs including ARM-based games???

That's beyond my realm of expertise and beyond the scope of this thread as well.  These are also products produced by another company, and as far as I know, only licensed by Atari, so I would expect AtGames to support them.  I don't know what role Atari plays in supporting those consoles.

..Al

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

Yup.  At the very least, the 2600+ is an Atari product.  Not atGames, not licensed, but a real, actual Atari product.  The compatibility list says it will play every cartridge I have in my small but not insignificant library.  A pretty big deal, IMNSHO.  I had some harsh words for the TheC64 and I ate those words and learned my lesson.  I eagerly await the 2600+ as my birthday gift this year.

12 minutes ago, Rev said:

FTA:

[...] acquiring AtariAge makes perfect sense because publishing new Atari carts is what AtariAge has always done best.

Seems a bit reductionist.  Maybe, "AtariAge has always been the best at publishing new Atari carts."

:waving: Welcome, ArsTechnica readers.

• Like 3

Just now, OLD CS1 said:

Yup.  At the very least, the 2600+ is an Atari product.  Not atGames, not licensed, but a real, actual Atari product.  The compatibility list says it will play every cartridge I have in my small but not insignificant library.  A pretty big deal, IMNSHO.  I had some harsh words for the TheC64 and I ate those words and learned my lesson.  I eagerly await the 2600+ as my birthday gift this year.

The problem is Hyperkin already released a device years ago for half the price with an SD card slot to play the games that the cart dumper can't handle. Unless you've been sitting on a pile of 7800 carts with no other way to play them there's nothing that this new device does better than a poorly-received device from an Atgames-tier crap merchant like Hyperkin managed to do years ago at a much lower price.

If this is "Atari" then they should be releasing products that are far beyond the quality of stuff from notoriously awful brands like AtGames, Hyperkin, or MyArcade. If this Atari says they care about enthusiasts? Well, guess what? Releasing less capable devices at higher prices years later is the sort of thing that annoys enthusiasts. 

• Like 2

Congratulations @AlbertSo happy for you and the entire community!  

I haven’t been high on Atari, well, since I saved my paper route money to buy my 7800 😀. But as both a devout gamer as well as a business person, I’ve been pretty energized by the Rosen-era of Atari. They’re releasing great games (love the Recharged games and Kombinera!!) while IMO being respectful of their history. 

I could keep talking, but it’s late here….can’t wait to be a part the great things to come!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, famicommander said:

The problem is Hyperkin already released a device years ago for half the price

Maybe, but I never liked the damned things, and I got tired of the Retron cultists preaching to me every where I went.  Worse than Mac fanboys.

If this is "Atari" then they should be releasing products that are far beyond the quality of stuff from notoriously awful brands like AtGames, Hyperkin, or MyArcade.

We do not know the quality of the product, yet.

Releasing less capable devices at higher prices years later is the sort of thing that annoys enthusiasts.

If the SD card is your primary measure of capability, then I can see your disappointment.  However, the SD card means absolutely nothing to me, even with its convenience for home-brews.  Thus, it still sits in an unknown disposition for me, and I am much more optimistic about it.  Nintendo did right with its classics, Sega did right with its minis... I shall see what Atari does with its plus.  Anyway, I am not certain this thread should devolve into a philosophical debate on the 2600+ when the topic is much more important.

• Like 3

I sure hope this doesn't end up like the Tramiel era of Atari, I hope that this ownership group will encompass the entire 51-year history of this great brand and all of the great products and programs that have been put out for their entire family of computers and gaming consoles both home and portable and not just certain ones. What I mean is, that ST, 5200, Lynx, and Jaguar owners should be just as embraced as 2600, 7800 and 8-bit computer owners are.

5 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Maybe, but I never liked the damned things, and I got tired of the Retron cultists preaching to me every where I went.  Worse than Mac fanboys.

We do not know the quality of the product, yet.

If the SD card is your only measure of capability, then I can see your disappointment.  However, the SD card means absolutely nothing to me, even with its convenience for home-brews.  Thus, it still sits in an unknown disposition for me, and I am much more optimistic about it.  Nintendo did right with its classics, Sega did right with its minis... I shall see what Atari does with its plus.  Anyway, I am not certain this thread should devolve into a philosophical debate on the 2600+ when the topic is much more important.

The SD card is the only differentiator between the two devices as far as 2600 games are concerned. I'm no fan of the Retron or anything Hyperkin has ever done but there's no denying that if your aim is to play 2600 games, the Retron is the more capable device. 

Unless the (incomplete) 7800 compatibility is your deciding factor you're literally going to be paying twice as much for the option of playing fewer 2600 games. 

Surely you can see how we should be holding a company that calls itself "Atari" to higher standards than what Hyperkin was able to crap out 6 years ago?

If not, what's the point of any of this? We don't need another AtGames. One AtGames is too many. 

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

I can appreciate the skepticism, there is a lot of history that the current Atari has to overcome to earn back the trust of the classic gaming community.

The following is fundamentally the same as a reply that I was writing earlier to a different post but decided to let go.  However, I believe that in this context it's worth mentioning; @Albert, this is not specifically directed at you.

At the heart of a lot of the animosity shown towards modern Atari (which includes its other recent incarnations) is culture clash.  The current iteration is headed by a CEO who wasn't born when the 7800 was first released, and I do not say that as any sort of personal attack towards him. I do mention it, however, because culture comes from the top down, and this is a company headed by a person who has no roots in its history.

Nolan is there in an advisory capacity, and that's a good thing.  Having Albert on board as historian has a lot of potential to shape things for the better.  But neither of these people are the ones running the company, and as such can only effect so much change in their respective positions.

In 1984, I got my first Atari 800 and 410 tape drive.  I can point to that machine as having had a very definite impact on my life: it ultimately led to a 27-year career in a number of facets of IT, starting out in Tier I tech support and ending up in executive management.  It was responsible for me being able to feed, clothe, and house myself.  It was also responsible for leading me to people and experiences that I would have otherwise never met or had.

This is where an aspect of the culture clash comes in: those memories and lived experiences are not things that can be repackaged and resold.  Slapping a Fuji logo on the latest rehash of <insert hardware or software here> and expecting me to buy it because Atari is, quite frankly, insulting to experience that shaped my life in some incredibly significant ways.

My suggestion would be for Atari, SA to make a concerted effort at actually understanding that culture.  Be a part of the communities that exist, both here and elsewhere and not just for the sake of marketing.  This would go a long way towards bridging certain gaps, and hopefully improving communication and understanding in the process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Unless the (incomplete) 7800 compatibility is your deciding factor you're literally going to be paying twice as much for the option of playing fewer 2600 games. 

Not me, sir.  I got a coupon for setting up my new account.

Surely you can see how we should be holding a company that calls itself "Atari" to higher standards than what Hyperkin was able to crap out 6 years ago?

Absolutely, but, again, the product is not yet in my lap, so any conjecture I can make about its quality is purely conjecture.  Cost is not as important as value, and value has yet to be determined and, again, I am optimistic.

If not, what's the point of any of this? We don't need another AtGames. One AtGames is too many. 

Agree 100%.  Atari's future outlook would be bleak if it shits on us with the 2600+.  Where I skipped the VCS, I am taking that chance here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

Not me, sir.  I got a coupon for setting up my new account.

Absolutely, but, again, the product is not yet in my lap, so any conjecture I can make about its quality is purely conjecture.  Cost is not as important as value, and value has yet to be determined and, again, I am optimistic.

Agree 100%.  Atari's future outlook would be bleak if it shits on us with the 2600+.  Where I skipped the VCS, I am taking that chance here.

Again, we already know the parameters of the device. It's not conjecture to say that this has the same limitations as the Retron 77, but at a much higher price, and minus the SD card slot. Unless you're buying it as a 7800 it's a less capable device than what a horrible company released for a lower price six years ago. That's not spin, that's not conjecture, and waiting until the device releases won't change it.

Not AtariAge/merger related, but the good gentleman from Atari said they want to listen to their fans.  Very well, I'll speak for myself.

- We WANT you to succeed.  Really.  Really really.  I don't give a crap how many iterations of owners and shenanigans the company has gone through over 50 years, I care about good product that both tickles my nostalgia itch and *makes me believe YOU care about your company and reputation*.  That part's kinda big, because (and I'm going to focus now only on things the current iteration of the company has done)...

- Stop goofing around with crypto and hotels.  _Immediately_.  Don't be That Company(TM) that will slap it's iconic logo on toasters to make a quick buck.  Innovate.  Captivate.  Make us cheer for you.  You can do that by...

- Stop letting AtGames abuse your brand.  Period, full stop.  They are *HORRIBLE*.  We don't need another Flashback, EVER.  (Yes, that includes the latest two mini iterations, which had the potential for such greatness but ended up in such a bad state due to software that let the whole thing down...well, that, and the older great We Promise Paddles(TM)!  No, wait, we lied... debacle.  Not your manufacturing, but your name on the box, Atari!)  We need QUALITY kit from Atari!  What do you think gave them so much staying power in the 70s and 80s?  Hint: It wasn't junk.  (More on the software thing later)  Not saying we don't like minis...they became their own market segment.  But YOU make them - or at least get someone qualified and competent to do so!

- Stop doing semi-creative things like the Atari VCS and then effectively abandoning it.  Your hardware was good (OK, decent), and I'll forgive the launch price because you're still trying to get your sea legs as a company, but again, the *software*.  You can't update to apply bug fixes out of the box because of bugs!  HOW did this slip through?  EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER experienced this...but the maker didn't notice?  WHY did you not put a HUGE banner at the top of your corporate and product home pages warning customers and giving them CLEAR direction on resolution _as soon as you knew_?  Does writing HTML cost too much?  Poor customer service kills, consistently.  Also please don't make the customer apply their own thermal paste to prevent your product from sounding like a jet engine, please and thank you.  That's embarrassing.  (See my final words)

- Stop assuming that if you don't wall off customers from using things in a manner enjoyable to them that they won't buy anything new.  I'm looking at you, 2600+.  It's a RetroN 77 in prettier casing and without the micro SD card slot.  Why?  There's a LOT of 40+ year old games we want to play that _you can't support by definition_ and are COMPLETLY UNOBTANIUM in the real world.  You don't even get a dime off cartridge resales, so why block our ability to enjoy the old content by just loading it ourselves?  That ONE absence *ruins the product*.  As for the cartridge dumper and the front port control code, YOU own it now, not Hyperkin.  Fix it!  Expand it!  Make it work with as many cartridge types as possible - people on THIS VERY FORUM already laid out _exactly how you can achieve this_ in enough detail any engineer could do it in software in minutes!  No, it won't be perfect...but it will be _better_, and *we care about that*.  Make sure paddles work CORRECTLY, right out of the box, and don't forget keypads and driving controllers!  Yes, we know, some of you weren't alive when we were using this stuff...but you're the ones doubling down on your legacy, so grab it in a big bear hug and own it.  We WILL notice.  It WILL matter to both current _and_ future customers.  No more half-assed cash-ins on nostalgia...build a product worth owning.  The cost delta of manufacturing is shockingly less than you think.  And for that matter, yes, we WILL entertain buying future new cartridge releases for your shiny hardware, _even if_ it has a SD slot!  To be fair, again outside the high cost of the XP releases (which again I admit are currently a bit beyond your control being a new-ish commercial concern), the packaging itself is brilliant and lauded!  We LIKE it!  We WILL buy it!  But not at the exclusion of your legacy!  If you can't add a card slot to the thing (because I know there are LONG lead times on shipping and stocking), give a day-1 software update that will let us use an OTG adapter with a USB flash drive to run anything Stella or the 7800 emulator will accept.  YOU CANNOT LOSE BY DOING THIS!

- Listen to us when we tell you what we want and what's missing from the market space.  You OWN THE JAGUAR CODE.  Use it to make a mini Jag that will work with new controllers (because others are already making them, you know!) and blow our socks off with the legacy of that library...that will cost you VERY LITTLE.  It's not niche!  It's iconic and your customers have shown STRONG interest!  Tap that market NOBODY has touched before!  (Of _course_ there are others...but THIS is a quick win for you at the cost of making plastic molds and a software wrapper.  Why aren't you already working on it?  :)

- You've done some very, VERY positive things.  You licensed to LEGO.  _Very_ smart move...I've yet to read a bad review.  The Tiny Arcade VCS was brilliant...but would have been moreso with actual 2600 games, not NES retreads.  I'll say it again...it's the _SOFTWARE_!  Anyone can make a pretty box.  YOU are ATARI.  YOU can make a distinguished product!  Atari 50...probably one of the most lauded and respected software collections from ANY publisher for years.  The beautiful design and presentation mixing history and live gaming was absolutely inspired.  Good job on that front!  Get the people that put that together to shepherd the software that goes into your physical products!

Overall, the greatest fault lies with poor software and testing, period.  Eat your own dog food.  Take a manufacturing sample home and, I dunno...PLAY IT.  See where the flaws are.  Better yet, send a few home with US and let US tell _you_ where things fall short before you commit!  It's not hard!  Many of us, including YT influencers, would no doubt be willing to sign (and respect) NDAs if necessary to improve the end result product.  Use us!  We know what we are doing and talking about...most of us have more time in this field than you do!

We want to believe.  *I* want to believe.  Gone are the days when you can make 60% returns on licensing your name to cheap-assed annual churn products sold at CVS every Christmas.  Your customers are adults, with refined tastes and higher levels of disposable income.  Treat them with respect and they will give you all you desire and more.  Fail to pay attention to them and you will suffer the fate of the many iterations of Atari that came before you.  For once, I see a small glimmer of hope that you ARE different.  Show us.  We will be patient...but not forever.

Welcome back, Atari.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Albert said:

..Al

You didn't answer the question I, Thomas, and a bit Sauron had about a possible exit clause, so I'll take it no exit clause was in your agreement.

You have sold your lot and trust this version of Atari for some reason, as well as versions of Atari this place will get passed on to when this version is no more. 

Hope it works out well in the long run for all the community that helped make this place a success.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

The following is fundamentally the same as a reply that I was writing earlier to a different post but decided to let go.  However, I believe that in this context it's worth mentioning; @Albert, this is not specifically directed at you.

At the heart of a lot of the animosity shown towards modern Atari (which includes its other recent incarnations) is culture clash.  The current iteration is headed by a CEO who wasn't born when the 7800 was first released, and I do not say that as any sort of personal attack towards him. I do mention it, however, because culture comes from the top down, and this is a company headed by a person who has no roots in its history.

Nolan is there in an advisory capacity, and that's a good thing.  Having Albert on board as historian has a lot of potential to shape things for the better.  But neither of these people are the ones running the company, and as such can only effect so much change in their respective positions.

In 1984, I got my first Atari 800 and 410 tape drive.  I can point to that machine as having had a very definite impact on my life: it ultimately led to a 27-year career in a number of facets of IT, starting out in Tier I tech support and ending up in executive management.  It was responsible for me being able to feed, clothe, and house myself.  It was also responsible for leading me to people and experiences that I would have otherwise never met or had.

This is where an aspect of the culture clash comes in: those memories and lived experiences are not things that can be repackaged and resold.  Slapping a Fuji logo on the latest rehash of <insert hardware or software here> and expecting me to buy it because Atari is, quite frankly, insulting to experience that shaped my life in some incredibly significant ways.

My suggestion would be for Atari, SA to make a concerted effort at actually understanding that culture.  Be a part of the communities that exist, both here and elsewhere and not just for the sake of marketing.  This would go a long way towards bridging certain gaps, and hopefully improving communication and understanding in the process.

Does that mean no speaker hats and Atari Camp clothing? 😅

• Haha 4

In terms of the site, I fall into the cautiously optimistic camp, please don't turn this into a second Atari merch store. Using AtariAge plus the rest of the Atari media team to make a little semiannual Atari emagazine could be fun. Also, I reiterate they should consider doing arcade stuff(maybe with DSM Arcades) and officially sell DRM-free ROMs. I am currently in the process of designing a small local arcade for the city where I live, and there is even a cabinet manufacturer within two hours of me, but there are no local Atari units/PCBs for sale and I wanna be able to set out legitimate Atari arcade games. 

• Like 2