IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

7 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Everything remotely modern on the market (except the original Flashback and Flashback 2) that plays Atari 2600 games uses GPL software, including products like the Evercade or Polymega.

Well, yes I was not 100% correct. If they will not provide the GPLed sources. If Stella is not LGPL then we can request to get the source of anything linked with it and thus maybe enhance the dumper/emulator. 

I apologize if this has been brought up before the 30th page of this post.   One thing that might help bridge this merge would be an opportunity for input on future products.   I know that there would probably have to be Non Disclosure Agreements needed, but I feel this would help demonstrate Atari was actively listening to the passionate gamers, collectors, and enthusiasts of this site.   I think that this gesture could really help build community input and be an action that showed that Atari was serious about making the best product possible and listening to an audience that would want them to succeed.    I am aware that this may not apply to everything offered, but too many times I see something released and say "If they asked for my input, I could've made that product better".  

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

I apologize if this has been brought up before the 30th page of this post.   One thing that might help bridge this merge would be an opportunity for input on future products.   I know that there would probably have to be Non Disclosure Agreements needed, but I feel this would help demonstrate Atari was actively listening to the passionate gamers, collectors, and enthusiasts of this site.   I think that this gesture could really help build community input and be an action that showed that Atari was serious about making the best product possible and listening to an audience that would want them to succeed.    I am aware that this may not apply to everything offered, but too many times I see something released and say "If they asked for my input, I could've made that product better".  

This is absolutely something we've spoken about, and using the Clubs functionality in the forum to do so.  :)

..Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

Wouldn’t Pico-8, Scratch, or a multitude of other languages be a better starting point? (Just surprised)

You wouldn't be the first to be surprised by that. 

They start on scratch, then python, then assembly before moving on to micro controllers and C++. It helps them understand binary as switches and really opens up their minds when it comes to just-in-time programming, management of limited resources, and computer architecture. Also, when you tell them that they are going to program games they work a lot harder. Most of my students eventually go into engineering programs at schools like Purdue, Stanford, and UC Berkeley to name a few.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

In a way, I'd rather that Atari didn't take every suggestion we offer on board.  If they did, we'd end up with something along these lines but capable of playing video games:

image.thumb.png.d5748137e83c249ec57834c1e72e0689.png

Joking aside, more community input is a good thing.  But it has to go both ways: we can't just shovel ideas at Atari and they can't just remain unresponsive to the community.  That's not happening in this thread, and I hope the trend continues.  We'll see how things pan out in the longer term, but as an initial statement of intent, there does seem to be a level of interest in being an actual part of the community and and not just engaging it as a source of free ideas, market research, and consumers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xyla said:

Wouldn't concealing that it is Stella running on it be a violation of the GPL?

As long as they are not shipping the current situation (no acknowledgement, no source) is fine. Once they ship their product they will have to disclose that they are using Stella so that customers have access to the source, and any changes they may have made to Stella have to be equally disclosed and licensed under the GPL. The same goes for any other GPLed software that may be part of the firmware. I am pretty sure they are aware of this.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Fred_M said:

🤣 I am waiting for CharlieChaplin to respond to this (sorry for my words) ridiculous remark.

Personally I think you should not state these kind of remarks. This has nothing to do with any country and that was also not what Charlie was saying, please do not try to mock countries and put words in someones mouth.

whoa ... I was not mocking anything. Just some light humor. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

So just to for more clarification.  The forums will continue to allow sub forums of brands/hardware not related to Atari for the foresseable future, or will there be a situation where it will be only Atari talk? 

No intentions to restrict discussion to Atari platforms only ... none at all. Been discussed a bit, but I realize the thread is quite long.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hizzy said:

One thing that will make me less worried about this merger is if I can get a 2600+ in Canada. Also a firmware update that can get the 2600+ to play everything in the AA store. :)

https://www.amazon.ca/Plaion-Atari-2600-Hardware/dp/B0CG7LMFKY viola .. Canada is online. Firmware updates I can't speak to, but maximizing compatibility is the goal so ... seems likely.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

As long as they are not shipping the current situation (no acknowledgement, no source) is fine. Once they ship their product they will have to disclose that they are using Stella so that customers have access to the source, and any changes they may have made to Stella have to be equally disclosed and licensed under the GPL. The same goes for any other GPLed software that may be part of the firmware. I am pretty sure they are aware of this.

It's worth emphasising that an important part of GNU GPL compliance is the right (or the ability) to install modified copies of the compiled source on the hardware. I assume the 2600+ allows this but have not read anything specific (I could well have missed that detail)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I'm cautiously optimistic after reading what Albert and Atari's representatives are saying. That said, I fully agree about the whims of corporate America and the community's concerns around that. We'll just have to hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the end and that this ends up not marking the beginning of the end, but instead is looked back on down the road as a bright new start to a bigger and better AtariAge.

And since Atari SA is participating here, someone there needs to crack the whip and start cranking out some DLC for Atari 50. Let's start with Berzerk for the 2600, Frenzy for the 5200, and Warbirds for the Lynx. I know Digital Eclipse is ready and willing. ;) 

Digital Eclipse is super busy actually, but that does not preclude dropping some DLC. I'd stayed tuned ... 

Edited by TrogdarRobusto
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

It's worth emphasising that an important part of GNU GPL compliance is the right (or the ability) to install modified copies of the compiled source on the hardware. I assume the 2600+ allows this but have not read anything specific (I could well have missed that detail)

Afaik this is only the case for GPLv3, and Stella is GPLv2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtyHairy said:

Afaik this is only the case for GPLv3, and Stella is GPLv2.

The GPLv3 makes the requirement explicit but it is arguably a requirement of GPLv2 too https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2021/jul/23/tivoization-and-the-gpl-right-to-install/ but opinions differ on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyHairy said:

As long as they are not shipping the current situation (no acknowledgement, no source) is fine

That's kind of odd. I would have thought they would have to disclose it as soon as a product is sold.

I also wonder what's the definition of shipping is. Does shipping preview/review devices count?

Can we have links to the Atari 2600+ sources already please? 😁

• Like 1