IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

11 minutes ago, hizzy said:

"IMO the 2600+ is a marketing driven device, aiming at a certain group of people (not us!), trying to find the sweet spot for profit. This is how business works, and I don't expect any company to be any different. IMO it is not that they don't "get it", IMO they are not even interested. For Atari, AA is an acquisition, which is good for Atari's image and thus marketing."

This is the kind of conjecture around our motivation for business decisions that should probably live elsewhere. I disagree with this idea of "who" the Atari 2600+ was developed for, and I think I've explained my POV a few times in this thread (93 posts in this thread and counting!) Read my analogy to vinyl records. You could also think of the 2600+ as a prosumer device. It is both for the retro core and the general public who cares enough to get the good stuff. 

At PAX West I spoke with a lot of people who own OG hardware but also placed an order for the 2600+. They want an option for physical cartridges that is clean and easy ... direct output to that nice HD TV in their living room. Doesn't mean they are going to toss their CRT TV into the trash, or permanently mothball their original 2600. You can have both and they serve different purposes to their owners.

I also spoke to a ton of people who don't own an original 2600 but preordered the 2600+ .... both core and casual. 

I hope we do produce things that generate a profit and provide value to customers. That is how we survive and ideally thrive. 

• Like 8

I am amazed at the amount of suggestions that involve Atari not making any money. It boggles the mind how many people do not realize Atari has to make money to survive. They cannot pay their bills with good will.

Also, @TrogdarRobusto, any chance on getting the lists of games acquired from the Accolade/GT Interactive and M Network deals?

• Like 6

Not sure if you can answer this, TrogdarRobusto, but do you see the Atari 2600+ being something that will only briefly be available?

Assuming that the joysticks and paddles end up a success like hopefully is the case, it would be great to see these be available for several years and not dry up after the Christmas shopping season has ended.

The idea of brand new controllers for my original hardware is an appealing one and I'd like to have the option of buying more of these accessories down the road if I'm happy (I'm planning to get the system and the paddle controller bundle when they release). The AtGames paddles didn't quite do it for me a few years back, but I'm hoping these manage to approximate how the originals would've performed when brand new back in the day.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

This thread has largely headed waaaaaay off topic and it is getting very repetitive.

That's a good observation. I find this thread is circling into negativity, attracting people who chime in with even more negativity, fear and unfounded claims. I think the frequent posters in this thread by no means represent the avarage AA members.

54 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

All the discussion of what Atari should and should not do, what business decisions we should be making, who we should be partnering with, etc. Not sure how to parse that ... where it lives. Up to Al and the community. We are listening, and will continue to listen and engage. At the same time, as I have said before we are going to do what we think is best and not everyone here is going to agree with all of our decisions.

Thanks for listening. Just realise that there are also a lot of other AtariAge members which look at this with a more positive and hopefull attitude.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Everyone has the right to love whatever he or she wants to love. But I can almost guarantee, that this game would have never made it into the AtariAge store. 

But why it's a great game, perhaps you're referring to the 2600 demake version  (which I haven't played yet) the modern/normal version of the game is a great experience and if that's the version you're referring to then I can't understand why you would say that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

This thread has largely headed waaaaaay off topic and it is getting very repetitive. I looks to me like we have exhausted the discussion around "what does this mean for AtariAge" and it has shifted into a lot of questions about the Atari 2600+, what hardware and games we might re-introduce in the future, what licensing partners we should and should not work with, etc. I'll speak with Al, but I am starting to think we should read through this and make sure we elevate the main questions and answers into the Q&A, and then lock the thread. That is going to be up to Al of course.

This appears to be an attempt to shutdown discussion (suggestion to 'lock the thread').  Yes it is repetitive, but it's still relatively on topic.  People are upset about this.  Let them vent.  Otherwise you're leaning into the fears of censorship by Atari.  Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

This appears to be an attempt to shutdown discussion (suggestion to 'lock the thread').  Yes it is repetitive, but it's still relatively on topic.  People are upset about this.  Let them vent.  Otherwise you're leaning into the fears of censorship by Atari.  Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Agree it could be perceived as stifling discussion which we don't want to do (as if we could anyway).  I am interested in channeling the discussions so that they remain on topic within the forums that are appropriate for them. Also not in a rush. Nothing will happen abruptly. Just thinking out loud and looking for feedback (which you have provided, thank you.)

Edited by TrogdarRobusto
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

But why it's a great game, perhaps you're referring to the 2600 demake version  (which I haven't played yet) the modern/normal version of the game is a great experience and if that's the version you're referring to then I can't understand why you would say that.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the 2600 version. 

• Like 1

It's tough to put things in this discussion in neat boxes. I've always associated Stella with AA even if they were different things. You would come here for Stella support, debate the advantages/disadvantages of Stella vs real hardware, get roms that you would play on Stella in the AA forums. AA is about homebrew/programming, emulation, tech support and community; all stuff that are being talked about in this thread.

It's encouraging to hear that Atari is looking to talk to Plaion about Stella. That was my favorite comment in this thread.

Edited by hizzy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Everyone has the right to love whatever he or she wants to love. But I can almost guarantee, that this game would have never made it into the AtariAge store. 

Why? Does Albert play every game and decide if the game is good enough for the store? If so, how many games have been blocked from being sold in the AtariAge store due to lack of quality?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Not sure if you can answer this, TrogdarRobusto, but do you see the Atari 2600+ being something that will only briefly be available?

Assuming that the joysticks and paddles end up a success like hopefully is the case, it would be great to see these be available for several years and not dry up after the Christmas shopping season has ended.

The idea of brand new controllers for my original hardware is an appealing one and I'd like to have the option of buying more of these accessories down the road if I'm happy (I'm planning to get the system and the paddle controller bundle when they release). The AtGames paddles didn't quite do it for me a few years back, but I'm hoping these manage to approximate how the originals would've performed when brand new back in the day.

Agree with you. We want to see these stay in the market for quite a while, and I would think the demand for controllers would sustain long after demand for the 2600+ waned. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jeremiahjt said:

Why? Does Albert play every game and decide if the game is good enough for the store? If so, how many games have been blocked from being sold in the AtariAge store due to lack of quality?

Yes, Albert is making these decisions. More than once he has been called elitist due to this, but I think he is doing right here.

Only @Albert can tell the numbers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

I didn't see that as such. It's supposed to be a Q&A post, and it's hard for people to find answers to questions about the acquisition. Creating a separate topic for speculation, fears for the future, etc. is probably a good idea IMO.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Agree it could be perceived as stifling discussion which we don't want to do (as if we could anyway).  I am interested in channeling the discussions so that that remain on topic within the forums that are appropriate for them. Also not in a rush. Nothing will happen abruptly. Just thinking out loud and looking for feedback (which you have provided, thank you.)

12 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Agree it could be perceived as stifling discussion which we don't want to do (as if we could anyway).  I am interested in channeling the discussions so that that remain on topic within the forums that are appropriate for them. Also not in a rush. Nothing will happen abruptly. Just thinking out loud and looking for feedback (which you have provided, thank you.)

Hey trogdar I had another question I forgot to ask you , now that Night Dive studios is a part of Atari is it realistic to expect that the system shock remake and any other games night dive makes going forward will also be available on console's , I've been waiting some time now to finally get my hands on system shock but unfortunately  the only system I'm currently gaming on is a PS5, can we expect an announcement soon?

Just now, JPF997 said:

Hey trogdar I had another question I forgot to ask you , now that Night Dive studios is a part of Atari is it realistic to expect that system shock remake and any other games night dive makes going forward will also be available on console's , I've been waiting to finally get my hands on system shock but unfortunately but the only system I'm currently gaming on is a PS5, can we expect an announcement soon?

I don't want to speak out of turn on this, but as I understand it one of the reason's Nightdive was looking to get acquired was so that they could do more with the titles they are releasing, and this would include bringing the games to more platforms (and markets). Their proprietary Kex engine is awesome, but some of the iterations predate the modern consoles so there is probably work that needs to be done on some of the older releases to bring them to the current gen. The public stance on System Shock has not changed: console ports are still in the plans, but were delayed past the originally planned release date. 

I'd say there is a desire to make all of their games broadly accessible in digital and physical format. 

• Like 3

Just now, Karl G said:

I didn't see that as such. It's supposed to be a Q&A post, and it's hard for people to find answers to questions about the acquisition. Creating a separate topic for speculation, fears for the future, etc. is probably a good idea IMO.

He specifically suggested 'locking the thread' which is an attempt to shutdown discussion.  That is my understanding when someone suggests 'locking a thread'.  If he had suggested moving the discussion to it's own thread, then that would be perceived differently and we wouldn't necessarily be talking about it.

This is a forum so there's going to be discussion in a Q&A thread that is not specifically people asking questions and getting answers directly to the topic at hand.  Like your post to my response... it's not a Q, it's not an A.

---

I agree on the point that the primary post should be updated with more Frequently Asked Questions with Answers.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

I don't understand it that way. There are just too many things discussed at once to keep track. Unless you are constantly following the thread. Asking for a bit more structure is a good idea.

• Like 9

Just now, splendidnut said:

He specifically suggested 'locking the thread' which is an attempt to shutdown discussion. 

"Locking" was a poor choice of words. I'm looking to Al and the mods for guidance on how to focus and distribute. We are def going to expand the Q&A/FAQ ... might help a little. I can also just start linking back to previous answers. If I keep answering the same questions again and again fatigue is going to set in ... maybe I am just need to better define the questions I am willing and able to answer and start redirecting some of the off topic questions vs trying to respond to them. 

• Like 10

@TrogdarRobusto If you find yourself answering literal frequently asked questions, a numbered FAQ could help everyone. Then they could be referred to the appropriate link instead of wearing down everyone’s patience. 

I do not think “what happens to AtariAge if Atari changes hands” is a question that anyone can meaningfully answer. I would hope everyone understands that everyone is doing the best with the skills, resources, and information they have at the time. 

Also, we need to accept that while “Atari” and “AtariAge” are important to the community, the community is important to A/AA, it’s reasonable to have boundaries. Nobody here is a financial or business stakeholder of Atari, no matter how much stock we hold or how many old cartridges we have accumulated. Just be gentle, we are old and cranky. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Atarian7 said:

Sorry if this has been asked but: Will subscriptions and the benefits there of stay the same?  I haven't subscribed yet but I am considering it.

I believe they said they were deciding what to do with them going forward, so may want to hold off until that is decided.
Would be a good question for the suggested FAQ.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

@TrogdarRobusto If you find yourself answering literal frequently asked questions, a numbered FAQ could help everyone. Then they could be referred to the appropriate link instead of wearing down everyone’s patience. 

I do not think “what happens to AtariAge if Atari changes hands” is a question that anyone can meaningfully answer. I would hope everyone understands that everyone is doing the best with the skills, resources, and information they have at the time. 

Also, we need to accept that while “Atari” and “AtariAge” are important to the community, the community is important to A/AA, it’s reasonable to have boundaries. Nobody here is a financial or business stakeholder of Atari, no matter how much stock we hold or how many old cartridges we have accumulated. Just be gentle, we are old and cranky. 

some of us crankier than others. 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Atarian7 said:

Sorry if this has been asked but: Will subscriptions and the benefits there of stay the same?  I haven't subscribed yet but I am considering it.

I haven't made any changes to this, so everything is the same.  I've never wanted to hide any important features behind the subscriptions, nor have I ever really gone out of my way to promote them.  I don't anticipate making any changes to this short-term, and even if changes were made, at a minimum I'd allow the existing subscriptions to run out their terms.

..Al

• Like 4