IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

16 minutes ago, Giles N said:

What are the additional benefits again…?

https://forums.atariage.com/subscriptions/

I'll probably tweak this at some point, I really haven't changed the benefits in a significant way in some time.  We've been discussing ways to add Atari-specific benefits for AtariAge subscribers as well.  You can see that I have, "Advertisements hidden from Subscribers", as I was exploring placing ads on AtariAge at some point in the past, and if I had gone that route, I certainly didn't want Subscribers to see them.  Nothing came of that, though.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'll probably tweak this at some point,

Ok, - so it was actually a 5% discount in the AA-store for 1year+ subscription.

That is 5% off at a the checkout (before adding shipping) for the entire subscription-time?

I see there are forums for subscribers only; do any exist yet, only that I don’t see them (as non-subscriber)?

As to the discount and the AA-store and all the things have been on pre-order, do you know when all that gets going…? (Not asking a date, just whether its been up, and some rough estimation to which Q or season, or whether all of it is just too uncertain yet.

Edited by Giles N

16 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I see there are forums for subscribers only; do any exist yet, only that I don’t see them (as non-subscriber)?

They are there, you can't see them

You Cant See Me John Cena GIF by WWE

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

@CPUWIZ  You worked at Namco for 8 years?  Wow, I did not know that.  I respect that.  

Privacy Policy Discussions

@Albert Mr. Albert and @CPUWIZ, Regrets, my attempt to have focused discussions about the Privacy Policy in a separate thread has failed.  The guys told me that they like the current Privacy Policy the way it is and see no reason to talk about it.  I am not satisfied with that response from the guys, though, however.  I think that just because some people don't want to talk about topic X, that should not mean that nobody can talk about topic X.  Do you see what I mean?  Why should one person or one group of people have to stop talking about something just because another person or another group of people don't want to talk about it?  They all could have simply ignored my thread.  

Your responses, please, gentlemen.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

@Living Room Arcade I can understand your concerns. Privacy means a lot to me, therefore I don't use F*book, WhatsApp, X or whatever "social" media where I am the product, paying with my privacy. Therefore I am also interested what happens with the data I once provided to AtariAge (= @Albert). I want to know if this data might be spread/sold/shared eventually or if that's not possible (by contract). Else I would consider to withdraw any information provided.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@CPUWIZ  You worked at Namco for 8 years?  Wow, I did not know that.  I respect that.  

Privacy Policy Discussions

@Albert Mr. Albert and @CPUWIZ, Regrets, my attempt to have focused discussions about the Privacy Policy in a separate thread has failed.  The guys told me that they like the current Privacy Policy the way it is and see no reason to talk about it.  I am not satisfied with that response from the guys, though, however.  I think that just because some people don't want to talk about topic X, that should not mean that nobody can talk about topic X.  Do you see what I mean?  Why should one person or one group of people have to stop talking about something just because another person or another group of people don't want to talk about it?  They all could have simply ignored my thread.  

Your responses, please, gentlemen.  

Privacy policy is important, but I think the way you are handling this topic and how you are reacting to people is putting people off. Please take a look at your own behaviour before blaming others.

I think it is a better idea to wait for the new Privacy Policy Atari is already workin on, and then give your comments.

Please do not see this as a personal attack. English is not my native language, so it is more difficult for me to use the proper words.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I think it is a better idea to wait for the new Privacy Policy Atari is already workin on, and then give your comments.

Are they? I am not following all discussions.

Anyway, for me it would be irrelevant, because I do not want that my data leaves AtariAge. I gave it AA and AA only.

5 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Anyway, for me it would be irrelevant, because I do not want that my data leaves AtariAge. I gave it AA and AA only.

Here you can read the statement of TrogdarRobusto:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I believe that transferred with the sale, so told your profile places you in EU so you could have more control over it, given Atari SA is French the reverse could also be true wrt info on US citizens ...

Outside of personal info which is important what about game roms (I mean original) and demos homebrewers attach to posts? Atari spokesperson  said Atari makes no claim over it (or any content) so I take it means it stays property of the author.

Edited by phoenixdownita

4 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Outside of personal info which is important what about game roms (I mean original) and demos homebrewers attach to posts? Atari spokesperson  said Atari makes no claim over it (or any content) so I take it means it stays property of the author.

Yes, and if people want for such things either to be explicitly mentioned in a Privacy Policy, or deliberately not mentioned at all, or anything inbetween or something else, they need to word it out.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, phoenixdownita said:

given Atari SA is French the reverse could also be true wrt info on US citizens ...

I don't think so ;-) else all EU websites of American based companies would not have to follow the EU rules.

It depends on where the website visitor is coming from which rules have to be followed. For example I (as an EU citizin) can not access every American website. Some American companies do not want to follow the EU rules and block access when they see your IP is from an EU country.

At the moment AA is not following these rules for EU/EEA visitors as a cookie banner is required where visitors can opt out of third party cookies.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I don't think so ;-) else all EU websites of American based companies would not have to follow the EU rules.

It depends on where the website visitor is coming from which rules have to be followed. For example I (as an EU citizin) can not access every American website. Some American companies do not want to follow the EU rules and block access when they see your IP is from an EU country.

At the moment AA is not following these rules for EU/EEA visitors as a cookie banner is required where visitors can opt out of third party cookies.

Wrt the last paragraph.

Do you mean AA is not in compliance or that AA just is not under obligation?

I noticed many eu website with the cookies opt-in selection flow but not sure why I see it most of the time, maybe my ISP IP make them trip?

For reverse I meant to say there is something retaliatory I believe the us had done to “protect” us citizens info hosted on eu sites … but I may as well have dreamt of it. Been a few years I had to deal with any of it at work.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Wrt the last paragraph.

Do you mean AA is not in compliance or that AA just is not under obligation?

I noticed many eu website with the cookies opt-in selection flow but not sure why I see it most of the time, maybe my ISP IP make them trip?

For reverse I meant to say there is something retaliatory I believe the us had done to “protect” us citizens info hosted on eu sites … but I may as well have dreamt of it. Been a few years I had to deal with any of it at work.

AA is not in compliance with the GDPR of the EU. If AA accept visitors from the EU AA should follow the rules of the EU GDPR. Personally for me, I do not really care as my browser is able to block tracking cookies.

more info here: https://gdpr.eu/

Websites themselves are responsible to follow the rules. Many websites look at the IP you are using and based on that they offer the visitor the right policies for citizins of their country. But ofcourse there are websites which do not do that. As for the rules of the US, I don't know, but probably this article can explain this a bit: https://www.forbes.com/sites/conormurray/2023/04/21/us-data-privacy-protection-laws-a-comprehensive-guide/

On my website I use a compliance plug in that does exactly what I am describing ;-)

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

AA is not in compliance with the GDPR of the EU. If AA accept visitors from the EU AA should follow the rules of the EU GDPR. Personally for me, I do not really care as my browser is able to block tracking cookies.

more info here: https://gdpr.eu/

Websites themselves are responsible to follow the rules. Many websites look at the IP you are using and based on that they offer the visitor the right policies for citizins of their country. But ofcourse there are websites which do not do that. As for the rules of the US, I don't know, but probably this article can explain this a bit: https://www.forbes.com/sites/conormurray/2023/04/21/us-data-privacy-protection-laws-a-comprehensive-guide/

On my website I use a compliance plug in that does exactly what I am describing ;-)

from https://forums.atariage.com/privacy/

For European Economic Area Residents

If you reside in a country in the European Economic Area (EEA), then under the GDPR and applicable data protection laws you have the rights, among other things, to access your personal data, have us erase it, and/or restrict its further processing.  If you wish to access or delete your personal data (if any) maintained by us or AdThrive related to advertising on the Site, you can contact us at editor@atariage.com and contact AdThrive at info@adthrive.com. If you wish to see a list of the advertising partners we work with or change which of those partners track your behavior using cookies, click the ad preferences link at the bottom of the site. (Available in the EU).

isn’t the link at the bottom enough?

I can’t see if there’s one.

And this too:

https://forums.atariage.com/cookies/

Edited by phoenixdownita

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

I cannot see any such link. @Albert can you help?

Or is there no such link because there are no ads at AtariAge?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

from https://forums.atariage.com/privacy/

For European Economic Area Residents

If you reside in a country in the European Economic Area (EEA), then under the GDPR and applicable data protection laws you have the rights, among other things, to access your personal data, have us erase it, and/or restrict its further processing.  If you wish to access or delete your personal data (if any) maintained by us or AdThrive related to advertising on the Site, you can contact us at editor@atariage.com and contact AdThrive at info@adthrive.com. If you wish to see a list of the advertising partners we work with or change which of those partners track your behavior using cookies, click the ad preferences link at the bottom of the site. (Available in the EU).

And this too:

https://forums.atariage.com/cookies/

No, a cookie banner with opt out option is mandatory when you visit AA the first time.

(Ofcourse I read the privacy policy of AA before making this statement ;-) )

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

No, a cookie banner with opt out option is mandatory when you visit AA the first time.

(Ofcourse I read the privacy policy of AA before making this statement ;-) )

Oh wow

https://www.gdpradvisor.co.uk/does-gdpr-affect-us-companies

Impact of GDPR on US Companies

GDPR Compliance Requirements

US companies that process the personal data of individuals in the EU are required to comply with the GDPR. Compliance entails implementing appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure the security and confidentiality of personal data, obtaining valid consent for data processing activities, appointing a data protection officer (DPO) if necessary, conducting data protection impact assessments (DPIAs), and maintaining records of data processing activities.

Penalties for Non-Compliance

Non-compliance with the GDPR can have severe consequences for US companies. The regulation empowers supervisory authorities to impose significant fines, which can amount to up to 4% of the company’s annual global turnover or €20 million, whichever is higher. Additionally, non-compliance can lead to reputational damage, loss of customer trust, and potential legal actions by affected individuals.

Extraterritorial Scope of GDPR

One critical aspect of the GDPR is its extraterritorial scope. Even if a US company does not have a physical presence in the EU, it will still be subject to the GDPR if it offers goods or services to individuals in the EU or monitors their behaviour. Therefore, US companies that interact with EU residents must ensure GDPR compliance to avoid legal ramifications.

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Ich bin genau so wie Du, mache alle ZuckerMuskTok Dinge auch nicht, aber Albert hat nur Deine Addresse und so.  Ich kann Dich Glaube Ich ohne Albert finden und deine Posts kann Jeder lesen, was fuer Daten hat Er, die Dir Sorgen machen wuerden?  IP's, Maschinen die Du benutzt?  Echt Interessiert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenixdownita said:

Therefore, US companies that interact with EU residents must ensure GDPR compliance to avoid legal ramifications.

Atari is a French company anyway.

GDPR is certainly no joke. While its goals are laudable the plastic of cookie opt-out banners has ruined the experience of browsing the web.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Guys, it does not matter if Atari is French of American.

When a company interacts with citizins in the EU they must comply to EU's GDPR.

(but again, I personally do not care at all. Everyone who visits websites can block cookies themselves in their browser or use a VPN)

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Ich bin genau so wie Du, mache alle ZuckerMuskTok Dinge auch nicht, aber Albert hat nur Deine Addresse und so.  Ich kann Dich Glaube Ich ohne Albert finden und deine Posts kann Jeder lesen, was fuer Daten hat Er, die Dir Sorgen machen wuerden?  IP's, Maschinen die Du benutzt?  Echt Interessiert.

In Germany people generally value their privacy more than in other countries. For example Google street view was a complete disaster in Germany a few years ago, because many Germans objected to publish images of their houses. https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/germany-street-view/

I have attended many German Atari meetings and was always surprised that Germans want to follow each rule litteraly 🙂 I respect that, but for others it can look a bit like nitpicking.

Edited by Fred_M