IGNORED

Production of new 130XE or 800XL machines

Ray Gillman

Given the popularity of these machines I find it hard to believe that nobody has considered producing a run of 2023 machines with all new components. Are there certain parts which are impossible to produce now because they are just too outdated and no way to substitute newer components to complete the checklist of parts? Surely someone has tried to build like an arduino strawberry PI emulation but thats not the same as an actual original and the argument is always oh but nobody would pay $299 for a 2023 800XL but I disagree. I think a million people would buy it 

33 minutes ago, Ray Gillman said:

Given the popularity of these machines I find it hard to believe that nobody has considered producing a run of 2023 machines with all new components. Are there certain parts which are impossible to produce now because they are just too outdated and no way to substitute newer components to complete the checklist of parts? Surely someone has tried to build like an arduino strawberry PI emulation but thats not the same as an actual original and the argument is always oh but nobody would pay $299 for a 2023 800XL but I disagree. I think a million people would buy it 

Please see this post

46 minutes ago, Ray Gillman said:

One thing that also complicates this is the securing the rights to publish software to include with the machines. The software ownership is all over the map so software can be included in a commercial release.

On another note, in one respect, this is has happening on a small scale. We already had the XE remake that allowed people to build a (mostly) brand brand new 65XE/130XE motherboard. Hopefully, there will be another production for those who want in on it who misses the earlier production runs.

@ScreamingAtTheRadio has already produced a wonderful keyboard replacement for the 65XE and 130XE. He has also hinted that he is close to releasing so a new 130XE case too. So in one sense, we are close to a “new” Atari computer release. 

37 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

One thing that also complicates this is the securing the rights to publish software to include with the machines. The software ownership is all over the map so software can be included in a commercial release.

On another note, in one respect, this is has happening on a small scale. We already had the XE remake that allowed people to build a (mostly) brand brand new 65XE/130XE motherboard. Hopefully, there will be another production for those who want in on it who misses the earlier production runs.

@ScreamingAtTheRadio has already produced a wonderful keyboard replacement for the 65XE and 130XE. He has also hinted that he is close to releasing so a new 130XE case too. So in one sense, we are close to a “new” Atari computer release. 

On that note, new 800XL system boards are also available.  Including the one I made, there are two possible system boards.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

On that note, new 800XL system boards are also available.  Including the one I made, there are two possible system boards.

Well, @ScreamingAtTheRadio is also working on a new keyboard for the 800XL as well! All we need is a new case for the 800XL and we would have another “new” system

@foft and @santosp have already demonstrated with the eclaire XL that it is feasible to recreate the Atari computers with FPGA.  Whats missing is a case (or a form factor that would fit the existing case(s) and the ability to attach a real Atari keyboard.  I have one of them, and it sure feels real to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djglish said:

Aren't the MyTek computers modern day XL clones?  The 1088XEL and the 576NUC+ say they use the same chips as the original.

I haven't looked too closely at them but they seem interesting.

Mytek's NUC would also be considered a "new" system too! I would not consider it a "clone" since it uses the authentic Atari chipset.

It is amazing to think how talented some the users here are not only in producing software to fill in the gaps, but also in creating new hardware in imaginative ways as well. I am looking at getting a NUC kit as my next project soon.

• Like 1