IGNORED

Atari acquires AtariAge

Andrew Davie

Yeah... Just the games not impacted by the sale was enough to make me strongly suspect Atari were involved. I thought it might have been a legal slap down, I suppose this makes even more sense. Really not sure how I feel about this given how it will almost certainly have a knock on effect to the homebrew scene.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

I feel strongly about this as well, anytime a big company absorbs another it tends to change things, and not necessarily for the better. I like independent sites and distribution, there's a sense of pride, commitment and community that doesn't really exist outside of independent ownership.

• Like 5

I'm happy for Al.

I fully expect that, under corporate guidance, that the site will devolve into the fan-boy-drama-driven, just-like-the-others, gaming site in which I will not participate. The mature, cool, casual culture that has kept me here all these years will eventually be no more.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'll still take this opportunity to that it was fun while it lasted.

• Like 7

Reading through the Q&A thread, I think a lot of the worries should be put at ease. It's going to be business as usual for the time being. I didn't know this, but MobyGames was purchased a year and a half ago by Atari. They were left with free reign and haven't changed in that time, and it's been clarified that the same will be true of AtariAge. For myself I am cautiously optimistic. I suggest reading through the thread: 

Edited by Austin
  • Like 7

Also happy for Al.  I'm sure it is a dream come true to be an official historian.

As for Atari over this site, we got plenty of cease and desists back before Atari was officially over this place.   I guess now they don't have to employ as many lawyers for what goes on here.  :P

I'd also hope that Atari would tend to listen more to suggestions given here, but I'm sure they will be able to ignore those ideas even more easily now that they don't have to watchdog this place quite as much.

Yep, business as usual.  :D

• Like 2

I'm happy for Albert, since it means he'll have a lot less work stress in his life handling every aspect of the forum and be able to focus more on doing the things he enjoys as well as helping guide Atari as a company to make more of what Atari fans really want and less of what they don't. It sounds like things should be mostly business as usual around here too, so the only thing I'm sad about is that I wasn't able to get a copies of Venture Reloaded, Zippy the Porcupine, and Scramble before they were pulled from the AtariAge store. Such is life though.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

I'm happy for Albert, since it means he'll have a lot less work stress in his life handling every aspect of the forum and be able to focus more on doing the things he enjoys as well as helping guide Atari as a company to make more of what Atari fans really want and less of what they don't. It sounds like things should be mostly business as usual around here too, so the only thing I'm sad about is that I wasn't able to get a copies of Venture Reloaded, Zippy the Porcupine, and Scramble before they were pulled from the AtariAge store. Such is life though.

^^^This!

I'm happy for Al, and grateful for running the site in all these years and hosting this great community. And I wish him all the best for the future,

But the site being owned by a corporate is incompatible with my idea of this community, and I think after 17 years this is the right time for me to move on.

It's been a ride!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Based on what I'm reading from some of the people I respect most in the community (Andrew, Alex, Thomas, et al) and the fact that what is being said chimes with my own instincts, I feel there is now a need for a third-party forum for collective discussion of the 2600 (and 7800 etc.). I don't know what it would look like but a mailing list is probably a good starting point.

(I realise that's highly ironic but that's all I have this morning)

• Like 3

I watched the video on Youtube from GenXGrownUp.  I agree with GenXGrownUp's ideas about "the separation of church and state" and "checks and balances."   

there's the part that nags at me is like
there ought to be the separation of
church and state right there's there's
Atari the official entity and then there
should be then this entity that can
can work independently of an of Atari to
kind of you know the checks and balances
to keep one another in check you know

IMO a forum, independent from Atari, is needed

for the reason that GenXGrownUp has said

so that people can (and I mean this in a loving way) criticize Atari.

So my opinion is that I think it's alright that Atari has purchased Atari Age

that's fine

but IMO now we all need to go somewhere else to discuss Atari.

Just my thoughts.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1