IGNORED

Another eye-melting SNES mockup

Yeah, all of this content is so similar at this point it would seem obvious for a MOD or ADMIN to simply group it all into one big "Kirk Thunderdome" Thread at this point. It's all related, all the same self-absorbed points and nonsense, barely anything to differentiate one topic from another. 😝🙄Maybe call it the "Kirk_Johnston Circle Jerk Extravaganza" 

Michael Che Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

There's a lot wrong with your demos. First of all for your Mario Gallery you didn't properly reduce your colors here:

BrokeGallery.thumb.png.323fc45d5ff86bed3de84413059fe33c.png

You're trying to do only 128 colors in this entire part correct? Well you forgot to reduce the colors on your last picture, so you have tens of thousands of colors here as a result. SNES can't display that. If we color reduce it properly we get this:

FixGallery-8x8-1p128c-tc.thumb.png.94b4422ba2537c2bbed5adca8062678f.png

Which isn't bad, but no where near as nice looking as what you had because it's actually only 128 colors. It does look like you should fit into VRAM now though, so kudos there. I will say this is a clever way to try and get 8bpp viable for scrolling, but it's honestly still pretty wasteful of VRAM, especially since you're limiting to 128 colors already. Here's an example of how it would look with the same color count but at 4bpp:

FixGallery-8x8-8p16c-tc.thumb.png.1b1c982aa11ba6dc60704c24b40f40db.png

Is there a noticeable hit? Sure. But it still looks decent and acceptable. But the big benefit here is you've now freed up a lot of VRAM that you can have more interesting things, you could even use Mode 1 now and have 3 scrolling layers and not have to bother with sprites for your background objects. Honestly I think that would be more worthwhile because you'd be able to do so much more and wouldn't have to jump through hoops for something so basic.

However you still have the problem with your shadows and lights and not being able to have both at the same time. However with your shadows there's now a new issue with some of your background objects also being done with sprites. The shadow sprite being a lower priority sprite is most likely going to clip with the low priority background sprites. Next the shadow sprite is performing color math on background sprites. This can't work. Sprites cannot apply color math to other sprites. This would probably cause it's own odd visual issues.

As for this:

colour-window-masks.thumb.png.4096d9ebb9ecadd780effa3032271494.png

This isn't even close to how this part of the hardware works and flat out isn't possible. You've taken Kulors statement of "Using the window like another 1bpp layer" far too literally and extrapolated it further into thinking each window is it's own layer. That's not how any of that works. This is flat out nonsense.

As for your Toy Story demo, again cutting down your 8bpp tiles does get you to fit in VRAM now, but just barely. Since you're using 8x8 tiles you're gonna need to use a 64x32 tilemap now otherwise you're gonna get NES style jank on the sides. So now you need 6-8KB for your tilemaps. 6KB if the 8bpp layer is using 16x16 tiles, 8KB if both are using 8x8 tiles. The other issue is your using the 2bpp layer for scrolling platforms, objects, and your HUD. This is fine if you don't plan to do anything more complex than Mario 1. But if you want to have vertical scrolling on that layer it's gonna look weird and not work correctly. Which is why I assumed you were using sprites. If you switch to sprites you're gonna probably go over that limit. If you wanna throw some more enemy types at it you're going to have a problem. Which is still really an issue here. Your maxing out your VRAM for what? Alucard walking in 1-1 from Mario with a few Goombas and a Toy Story background? This wouldn't really make an interesting game and it's not even an interesting tech demo. It's just kind of silly and not really possible for the reasons already mentioned.

As for your new Demo, as previously mentioned it's not that impressive, just Mode 0 and sprites. But as previously stated the giant goomba with windows wont work. And on top of it all what is this even trying to do? From a game stand point it would be pretty silly and a waste of your background layers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

As for your new Demo, as previously mentioned it's not that impressive, just Mode 0 and sprites. But as previously stated the giant goomba with windows wont work. And on top of it all what is this even trying to do? From a game stand point it would be pretty silly and a waste of your background layers.

This is the thing. I've never seen him actually mention what use any of this crap would be in an actual game even if it could work. Like, what about his Mode 0 shmup idea makes it need Mode 0 and be worth the fucking horrendous hit to the graphics? What's he going to do with a Mode 0 platformer that make it NEED Mode 0? Or the Mode 4 stuff? 

All he wants to talk about is technical stuff, but he doesn't understand it and also can't articulate any practical game design use for it. Everything he says is pointless as a result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I've made some tweaks to a few of my representative SNES mockups, so here's a new video to go along with that:

Read the video description.

Your Mario Gallery is still using a 24bpp image in the background sot hat wont work. Though kudos for finally fixing the way the shadows would work. Though you're still doing the giant window goomba that flat out wont work because the hardware doesn't work the way you think it does. You need to address that if you really want this to be representative of what an actual SNES can do.

As stated previously, the Mode 0 demos could all easily be done with less layers, which would give you the benefit of having more colors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Beautiful blog post, by the way, Kirk.

Thanks, jeffythedragonslayer. :)

Just thought it would be useful to have something to go along with the latest mockup(s) to give an idea of how I might go about doing some of the stuff. Possibly not perfect/ideal solutions in every case, but some of the effects have alternative options too just in case they're needed.

35 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Thanks, jeffythedragonslayer. :)

Just thought it would be useful to have something to go along with the latest mockup(s) to give an idea of how I might go about doing some of the stuff. Possibly not perfect/ideal solutions in every case, but some of the effects have alternative options too just in case they're needed.

Yeah.  I hope you aren't discouraged by the negative replies here.  The way I see it, if there was a legitimate problem with the way someone is posting, people would just hit the report button and ignore the thread, but that's not what's happening here.  People are giving you quite a lot of attention, making you more and more famous - I think they secretly admire you but are too proud to admit it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

The way I see it, if there was a legitimate problem with the way someone is posting, people would just hit the report button and ignore the thread, but that's not what's happening here.

If people see something they disagree with/see an issue with, they don't blind themselves towards it. They try to communicate that to the author. That's how forums work.

Kirks strategy seems to be exactly what you recommend however, and as a result of that he's left with mostly talking to himself in his threads.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Yeah.  I hope you aren't discouraged by the negative replies here.  The way I see it, if there was a legitimate problem with the way someone is posting, people would just hit the report button and ignore the thread, but that's not what's happening here.  People are giving you quite a lot of attention, making you more and more famous - I think they secretly admire you but are too proud to admit it.

I'm just doing my own thing, ignoring anyone who I think is mostly automatically trolling anything and everything I say or do at this point, and only engaging with people who actually want to have authentic conversations with me. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mittens0407 said:

Kirks strategy seems to be exactly what you recommend however, and as a result of that he's left with mostly talking to himself in his threads.

Perhaps he has simply blocked hypercritical people who communicate in a mean-spirited manner, and that's why nothing else they write is going through.  And as the post above shows, he gets to live in a wonderland of only people he likes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Perhaps he has simply blocked hypercritical people who communicate in a mean-spirited manner, and that's why nothing else they write is going through.  And as the post above shows, he gets to live in a wonderland of only people he likes.

Eleven hypercritical, mean-spirited people? Ten of which (IMO, I won't speak for myself) appear to act amicably in other places on this forum? One of them being a MODERATOR of the forum?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mittens0407 said:

Eleven hypercritical, mean-spirited people? Ten of which (IMO, I won't speak for myself) appear to act amicably in other places on this forum? One of them being a MODERATOR of the forum?

You'll have to ask Kirk how many people he is ignoring and why, not me.  I don't have any trouble at all getting him to reply to me, so whatever I'm doing works.

1 hour ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I'm just doing my own thing, ignoring anyone who calls me out on my nonsense or disproves my concept of reality, and only engaging with people who actually ignore my inaccuracies and enable my delusions of grandeur. :) 

FIXED IT, and that's OK he won't know anyway.............😝🤷‍♂️😁

Screenshot2023-09-21151957.thumb.png.70d8e723e3a4cfe668dfbc5ab20eb785.png

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Haha 1

Authentic conversations are not always positive or in absolute agreement with the person they're had with. Kirk is not interested in ideas, opinions, or even actual facts that contradict him, so saying he's interested in authentic conversation is ridiculous. That's a problem when he wants to talk about technical topics in and of itself, but the bigger problem is that he takes any dissent with what he has to say as a personal attack. Most of us here started out trying to be nice and engaging with him, and now we're here. I think it's pretty hard to argue that he hasn't earned his status as a pariah.

• Like 3