IGNORED

CC2 Update - Indefinitely Delayed

cschell

Hello everyone,

I have some good and some bad news for those of you waiting for the release of the CC2.

The good news is that CC2 beta test has gone well. Nothing in testing has given me a reason to not release the product, nor to do any major redesign. The user interface of the cart is still undergoing a few changes, and the support software and manuals still need work to make the initial setup of the CC2 an easier process, all work currently in progress.

However, the bad news, as you can probably guess from the title of this post, is that I am placing an indefinite delay on the release of the CC2. I'm doing this because things are a little too uncertain for me at this time to be willing to undertake the process of manufacturing, selling, and shipping the CC2.

My last employer decided they no longer required an engineering department, which left those of us in said department without jobs. So I'm currently in the process of looking for a new job. (Yes, shockingly it's true that Schell's Electronics just doesn't pay well enough to replace my full time job. :P)

Given that it's quite possible that I will have to relocate, I simply don't know where I'll be for the near future. This just makes it too hard to have parts delivered, deal with the solder assembly house, collect payments, ship things, etc. Not to mention the hassles of business licenses, tax certificates, etc. Basically I just cannot guarantee an acceptible level of service, so I will have to wait until things settle down before I bring the CC2 to market.

Sorry if this comes as a disappointment to anyone. (It doesn't really thrill me either.)

Chad

My last employer decided they no longer required an engineering department, which left those of us in said department without jobs.  So I'm currently in the process of looking for a new job.  (Yes, shockingly it's true that Schell's Electronics just doesn't pay well enough to replace my full time job.  :P)

Fuck ! :x

I know exactly what you mean, the same thing happened to me and it's rough out there right now. :(

I wish you the best of luck. :thumbsup:

Good luck guys. You know, I almost changed companies a few months ago

but didn't, and heard last week that the other place just had a 30% layoff, so it is scary.

When I got out of college in 1991 and things were horrible, one career counselor

told us not to feel bad because looking for

a job was a job itself. I really liked that mentality.

Can I buy one of your beta-test units, since you may not be able to make the regular units until some time from now?  I'll pay the same as the regular price would've been.

I believe all of the beta test units were sold to the beta testers. So, unless you can talk one of them into parting with theirs, you are probably out of luck.

Mitch

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

In case anyone is curious, I thought I'd post an update.

First, the good news is that the plans for the Cuttle Cart 2 and I have both survived the firestorm in San Diego. The fire came close enough that I got the sheriff knocking on my door saying "Pack and be ready to leave as that hill 1000 yards away is on fire." Which was close enough for me, and 95% of my neighbors to head elsewhere for a day or two. It did get considerably closer, but the fire department did an excellent job and prevented the loss of any structures in my area.

Also good news is that I have accepted a new job. However, the bad news (from the point of view of anyone wanting a CC2) is that the job is in another state, which means I have to relocate. I plan on moving to temporary housing in the new town until my house sells. I do not know how long that will be. There is no way that I will be making or selling Cuttle Cart 2's during the time I'm in temporary housing. (I'm not even sure what type of net access, if any, I will have.)

So I figure it's at least three months until I will be able to start taking preorders for the CC2, and quite possibly longer than that.

Chad

Chad,

I am happy to hear that you are ok and that your home survived.

Thanks.

Since so many people did lose their homes to fire, I suspect that the value of your home just increased quite a bit.

I'm not really sure what effect it will have the market. Most of the people who lost homes have fire insurance (anyone with a mortgage has to have it), which means that they will just rebuild. There will certainly be an increase in rental rates though, as rental occupancy is always high in San Diego, and that many displaced people will really push that hard. I suppose the increase in rent could cause more people to consider buying.

It could also pose a problem though, which is that many insurance companies place moratoriums on writing new policies after major natural disasters. That could mean that people looking to buy homes will have trouble obtaining insurance, which as previously mentioned is required to obtain a mortgage.

All in all I'd have preferred that the fires didn't happen. I'd prefer to make profits off of something other than people's loss. :(

Chad

So I figure it's at least three months until I will be able to start taking preorders for the CC2, and quite possibly longer than that.

Don't fret it, man. The great news is that you came out of a huge disaster OK and that you'll be having a regular paycheck in the very near future! Stuff like the CC2, as cool as it is, is a very minor consideration in comparison. Glad to hear that you're doing well and we'll keep waiting patiently for as long as you need. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Still using the beta unit. It's working quite well. It is very conveinent in that you just modify a text file and drag and drop file to a folder on an MMC to get a game to go. When Chad starts getting these on sale, be sure to get one! By the way, Chad updated his site with a little history of how he got into what he is doing for the classic gaming community. It's under the "Who is this Chad Schell Guy anyway?" spot.

All in all you could call this post a BUMP. Keep the Cuttle Cart 2 in the back of your mind.

Buck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I am finally back online, I'll sort through the email backlog as time allows.

I'm now residing in Tucson, AZ. I haven't even started to look into what's involved in reopening Schell's Electronics in this state, and I still have a lot of unpacking to do.

However, assuming I haven't missed any major developments that have killed all interest in the CC2 (and if I have someone please let me know) I will work to get things back on track for its release.

Chad

I don't think anything has killed any CC2 interest. When you get the project back on it's feet, post some work-in-progress updates for a few weeks and you'll see the rabid following you had a few months ago :)

Good luck with your new place and all.