IGNORED

Kirby Super Star Stacker is lovely

Here's a game I didn't even know about until today, but the visuals just look gorgeous:

That whole coloured pencil look really holds up, with really great use of colour and tone.

Looks even nicer in pixel perfect mode, although the video won't show here due to restrictions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-RbUqHTpt0

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

I was so miffed when this one failed.  This was supposed to be the last first party game, if not last game for the system period.  Nintendo at the last moment (more or less) scrapped the US release of the game back in 1997-98 for the US.  Japan still got it, and looking at the captured image above, someone hacked what was intended back into the Japanese release.  I used to play the hell out of the Gameboy game and had been looking forward to it which is a real shame.  The game takes that look Dream Land 3 went with and ran with it on a puzzle game.  The game was originally one of those downloads in Japan, but stunningly got a cart release well into 1999 which is super late (like Wrecking Crew 98 did.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 9:24 AM, Tanooki said:

I was so miffed when this one failed.  This was supposed to be the last first party game, if not last game for the system period.  Nintendo at the last moment (more or less) scrapped the US release of the game back in 1997-98 for the US.  Japan still got it, and looking at the captured image above, someone hacked what was intended back into the Japanese release.  I used to play the hell out of the Gameboy game and had been looking forward to it which is a real shame.  The game takes that look Dream Land 3 went with and ran with it on a puzzle game.  The game was originally one of those downloads in Japan, but stunningly got a cart release well into 1999 which is super late (like Wrecking Crew 98 did.)

Where did you hear the game was coming out in the US? That's new info to me...

11 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Where did you hear the game was coming out in the US? That's new info to me...

I don't have the issues anymore, but in the 90s NP had it listed as a future title in the N64 issues era, much like how Earthbound and SimCity got listed for the NES and both got scrapped.  I also recall the crusty old Netscape Navigator/altavista/yahoo days of the early internet website for NOA had something too, but that's way lost media at this rate I imagine.

• Like 1