Open Club  ·  76 members

StellaRT
IGNORED

Community-Built Unnamed 1970's Video Game Console-Compatible System (WIP)

Al_Nafuur

I tried to redirect the console output into a file:

./stella -plr.timemachine 0 -dev.timemachine 0 /path/to/your-ROM-dir/CartridgePort.bin > myLogFile.log

But Stella (or the cartridge and the PlusCart) are behaving different (black screen). Also the content of the files don't look like what I see on the terminal without a redirect.

🤷‍♂️ 

On 11/6/2023 at 9:03 PM, Kroko said:

Not sure if it is relevant, but lets talk about step #3, especially the "(predecrement S?)"

I thought this means that the stack pointer is decremented before it appears on the address bus, but in stella code it seems the original value of SP would appear on the bus ?
I don't think the original value of SP ever appears on the bus on the real console.
The way I understood above description of the cycles, in step #3 and 4, the wrong addresses would appear on the adress bus of our emulated console...

Do you have a Decathlon cartridge? Can you provide a capture (log) from your logic analyzer, so we see what happens on the bus around accesses to $1FE?

6 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

If the previous RTS is not doing the bank switching correct the execution continues at the correct return address in the wrong bank. If the code then hits a new RTS the stack pointer rolls over.

Yes, but I cannot see this error in that log. All bank switches look fine until then.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

A Interface to peek/poke addresses manually (like discussed here) would be handy now.

Alternatively we might build a FE test-ROM to use with the PlusCart.

By the way, has anyone tested Decathlon with the Harmony cart on our setup?

Sorry, I don't get it. Again.

This seems to test JSR, not RTS. Also, what do the JSR and RTS in the red blocks mean? And what are the error numbers meant for?

Also, shall the code stop at an error? Or how should it continue?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I think i have an Idea of what might happens. Our address bus changes are fast than the real 6502 ones. This might bei an issue if the same address is requested in two consecutive cycles, then it might look like one cycle for the cartridge 

6 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Do you have a Decathlon cartridge? Can you provide a capture (log) from your logic analyzer, so we see what happens on the bus around accesses to $1FE?

Unfortunately I do not have a FE cart. To make it worse, I also don't have a flash cart that can emulate FE  ...

I think these logs would be useful:

* real console and real cart
* emulated console and real cart
* real console and PlusCart
* emulated console and PlusCart

For the emulated console logs .. I am a bit disconnected from the latest development.
Is there some git repo commit that I can use out of the box without extra hardware to try it ?
(got confused with all these NOP loops etc 😁)

Edited by Kroko

14 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I think i have an Idea of what might happens. Our address bus changes are fast than the real 6502 ones. This might bei an issue if the same address is requested in two consecutive cycles, then it might look like one cycle for the cartridge 

So a timing problem after all, as I suspected?

Do FE carts work if you increase the delay? 

33 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

So a timing problem after all, as I suspected?

Not exactly. It is not about how long a cycle takes. It is about how long the 6502 needs to setup the address on the bus (30ns) and how long we usually need to setup the address (~5ns)

33 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Do FE carts work if you increase the delay? 

No. I tried different delays (10-80 NOPs, ~20-180ns) in our address setup process, but I couldn't get Decathlon running stable (cartridge and PlusCart). I had a look into the logs again, and it looks that $1FE is not requested twice consecutively,  so my idea is not relevant.

13 hours ago, Kroko said:

For the emulated console logs .. I am a bit disconnected from the latest development.

Is there some git repo commit that I can use out of the box without extra hardware to try it ?
(got confused with all these NOP loops etc 😁)

I switched to a new branch "feature/cartridgeportThread" for the threaded timer/counter. So you will have to switch to this branch.

I'll update/check the setup instructions today:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Not exactly. It is not about how long a cycle takes. It is about how long the 6502 needs to setup the address on the bus (30ns) and how long we usually need to setup the address (~5ns)

No. I tried different delays (10-80 NOPs, ~20-180ns) in our address setup process, but I couldn't get Decathlon running stable (cartridge and PlusCart). I had a look into the logs again, and it looks that $1FE is not requested twice consecutively,  so my idea is not relevant.

Are you still interested into a test program? If yes, please describe in a bit more detail what you need.

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Are you still interested into a test program? If yes, please describe in a bit more detail what you need.

A test program would be good to test if it always fails on RTS or JSR (or both).

22 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

image.thumb.png.853555f744e81058d9ce33770cb333db.png

22 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Sorry, I don't get it. Again.

This seems to test JSR, not RTS. Also, what do the JSR and RTS in the red blocks mean? And what are the error numbers meant for?

Also, shall the code stop at an error? Or how should it continue?

Basically we need three display kernels one when the bank switching runs correct and one in every bank if a RTS or JSR fails.

In my example the start display kernel (just a green background?) runs at the beginning of the first bank. The main loop performs a JSR to "Sub1" at the middle of the second bank. "Sub1" performs a JSR to "Sub3" on the same bank. After returning to the main loop the loop does a test JSR to Sub2 on the first bank. 

The red areas are the areas where the PC jumps when a RTS or a JSR fails. Here the error number can be set and then a jump to the error display kernel of this bank (red background + error Nr.), maybe the error display kernel can restart the main loop if the joystick button is pressed (could be difficult for the error display in the second bank)

Tricky. I can easily write code that executes if everything works as expected. But if anything fails, how can I prevent the code to crash?

E.g. if an RTS doesn't change the bank, the code will continue in the same bank. So how can I get back to the correct bank? Only with a JSR. Now, if the fixing JSR fails, the code will still be in the wrong bank. And then I am screwed.

I think we need two test programs. One that assumes that JSR is OK and tests RTS only. And one for vice versa tests. Would that be OK for you too?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Tricky. I can easily write code that executes if everything works as expected. But if anything fails, how can I prevent the code to crash?

E.g. if an RTS doesn't change the bank, the code will continue in the same bank. So how can I get back to the correct bank? Only with a JSR. Now, if the fixing JSR fails, the code will still be in the wrong bank. And then I am screwed.

I think we need two test programs. One that assumes that JSR is OK and tests RTS only. And one for vice versa tests. Would that be OK for you too?

The code in the two banks has to be aligned (with ORG and NOPs ?) like this:

Bank0                          Bank1

ORG $F000                      ORG $D000

MainLoop     
; Display OK Kernel     
; e.g. green background     

JSR Sub1
CallTestSub1                     ORG CallTestSub1 - $1000
  NOP                            LDA #RTS_Sub1_error
  ; More NOPs to pad             JMP DisplayErrorBank1

JSR Sub2
CallTestSub2                     ORG CallTestSub2 - $1000
  JMP MainLoop                   LDA #RTS_Sub2_error
                                 JMP DisplayErrorBank1

ORG TestSub3 + 1000          TestSub3
  LDA #JSR_Sub3_error            NOP
  JMP DisplayErrorBank0          NOP
                               ; More NOPs to pad
                                 RTS

ORG TestSub1 + 1000          TestSub1
  LDA #JSR_Sub1_error            NOP
                               ; More NOPs to pad

JSR TestSub3
  ORG CallTestSub3 + 1000      CallTestSub3
  LDA #RTS_Sub3_error
  JMP DisplayErrorBank0          RTS

To show the alignment, I have written the code here side by side. To compile it, it must of course be placed one behind the other.

Edited by Al_Nafuur
Fix code (v1)

16 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

The code in the two banks has to be aligned (with ORG and NOPs ?) like this:

Bank0                          Bank1

ORG $F000                      ORG $D000

MainLoop     
; Display OK Kernel     
; e.g. green background     

JSR Sub1
CallTestSub1                     ORG CallTestSub1 - $1000
  NOP                            LDA #RTS_Sub1_error
  ; More NOPs to pad             JMP DisplayErrorBank1

JSR Sub2
CallTestSub2                     ORG CallTestSub2 - $1000
  JMP MainLoop                   LDA #RTS_Sub2_error
                                 JMP DisplayErrorBank1

ORG TestSub3 + 1000          TestSub3
  LDA #JSR_Sub3_error            NOP
                               ; More NOPs to pad
                                 RTS

ORG TestSub1 + 1000          TestSub1
  LDA #JSR_Sub1_error            NOP
                               ; More NOPs to pad

JSR TestSub3
  ORG CallTestSub3 + 1000      CallTestSub3
  LDA #RTS_Sub3_error
  JMP DisplayErrorBank0          RTS

To show the alignment, I have written the code here side by side. To compile it, it must of course be placed one behind the other.

Ah, so you want the code to stop in case of an error? That's much easier.

6 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Ah, so you want the code to stop in case of an error? That's much easier.

No

JMP DisplayErrorBank0/1

A kernel at then end of every bank to show the RTS/JSR_SUB1/2/3_error numbers.

28 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Yes, and then stop. :) 

5 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

..., maybe the error display kernel can restart the main loop if the joystick button is pressed (could be difficult for the error display in the second bank)

Thanks to Al_Nafuur I can provide first logs:

These are logs from a real 2600 console running a real Decathlon PAL cartridge. Once in 10Mhz sampling rate and once with 1 MHz.
Not yet sure what is the best sampling rate ... any opinions ?

So in 10MHz logs the sample number needs to be multiplied by 100ns to get the real time and in 1 MHz its 1us per sample.

I am currently triggering on the reset vector $1FFC $1FFD. If there is a different trigger point you would like to see, let me know.

Decathlon2600Junior_RealCartridge_1MHz.CSV Decathlon2600Junior_RealCartridge_10MHz.CSV

Edited by Kroko
  • Thanks 1