IGNORED

What works on 800?

phoney

So my project is coming along NICELY. I got my Fujinet. I got my 1056K board. (https://www.tindie.com/products/5cfab/1056k-memory-upgrade-board-for-the-atari-800/) I have hooked up my monitor. I have set up and am running a TNFS server which is gorgeous.

However I have noted some of the Fujinet software out there in TNFS world does not seem to be running. I wonder if that's because I'm on an 800 (and if this is a RAM issue, can all of my Axlon banked RAM help in any way?) 

News - The main menu loads. I can't enter any section. The SELECT and ESCAPE buttons work.

www.bas - Loads, runs

Mastodon.bas - Just created graphical chaos on my screen

Fuji-AI - more graphical chaos.

ISS - loads, runs

Weather - UI loads, no weather displayed

Warships - gets to the opening screen and then doesn't respond to keystrokes

Hmm ... any guide to what I should expect to be able to run, and what I shouldn't?

20230917_133223.jpg

• Like 1

My 800 does every thing I do, but I have the Incognito board, got it 2012 and there still made today. Lothar builds and sells. to bad you bought that memory card, not much to do with it. I bought one

Back around 1990 .

Anyway alot of stuff requires the XL/XE ,

Edited by bandit

1 hour ago, votraxman said:

Get Incognito. Not much soldering required.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=276

24 minutes ago, phoney said:

"not much" != "none"

Come on fellas.  We're talking about upgrading 1970's era machines to 1MB.  If you can't manage 4 wires to solder, you won't be using a 1970s machine at all, let alone one with 1MB of RAM!

We've gotta stop this bullshit of "everyone needs a participation trophy".  Sometimes, there is a minimum barrier for entry.  (But I'll be called any numbers of boomer, get off my lawn, exclusionist, etc.)

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Come on fellas.  We're talking about upgrading 1970's era machines to 1MB.  If you can't manage 4 wires to solder, you won't be using a 1970s machine at all, let alone one with 1MB of RAM!

We've gotta stop this bullshit of "everyone needs a participation trophy".  Sometimes, there is a minimum barrier for entry.  (But I'll be called any numbers of boomer, get off my lawn, exclusionist, etc.)

I used it for many years without soldering.

But the real question which everyone seems to be avoiding is, is there a way to know what Fujinet software is compatible with the 800 OS and which requires the XL/XE RAM or OS?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I wouldn't do any upgrades just to use fujinet. If it's doesn't work well with a 48k 800, I'd just give up on it. As far as Atari 800 OS B versions of software. People have modified those files and others in similar ways. Sometimes they update the filename, sometimes they don't. It's a bit of a mess. You could end up with a file that was originally intended for 48k 800, but will only work in XL/XE.

Edited by invisible kid

Well, its an exciting adventure. The tactile object is very important to me. I was an 800 user, and seeing that unit and touching the keyboard just makes me smile and feel joy. The XE feels ... flimsy? I have no emotional connection to those units. So I will nurture my 800 for now and pursue it! I've already been learning so much about Axlon ramdisks ...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, phoney said:

But the real question which everyone seems to be avoiding is, is there a way to know what Fujinet software is compatible with the 800 OS and which requires the XL/XE RAM or OS?

It's up to each app developer to determine which system they support and how much RAM is needed. A handful of apps are made by the FujiNet team itself and all of us pretty much have XL and up systems, some with RAM upgrades and most apps probably not tested on older machines. I do have a 48k 400 that I could confirm some apps if needed. There is no definitive list of Fujinet apps and their requirements that I'm aware of. Perhaps you could make a list of what does/doesn't work for you and it could be added to the wiki so others know. I have heard that weather needs XL/XE OS, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

It's up to each app developer to determine which system they support and how much RAM is needed. A handful of apps are made by the FujiNet team itself and all of us pretty much have XL and up systems, some with RAM upgrades and most apps probably not tested on older machines. I do have a 48k 400 that I could confirm some apps if needed. There is no definitive list of Fujinet apps and their requirements that I'm aware of. Perhaps you could make a list of what does/doesn't work for you and it could be added to the wiki so others know. I have heard that weather needs XL/XE OS, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

OK. I'll step through all the apps I can find and post the results here so they could be added to the wiki. I'm happy to help with knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK. I deliver. Tell me if there are any other apps you want me to test.

Test system: 48K 800 w/AXLON, MyDOS 4.53

chatari - runs, but buggy

COVID - main screen loads but unresponsive (aka MLU)

fujinews - MLU

fujitalk - screen is just random chaos (aka SRC)

lingua-XE - MLU

neon-ndevice - frame around screen flashes

weather - MLU

wikipedia - WORKS!!!

www - WORKS!!!

apod - WORKS!!!

chessnet - MLU

cavemush - timeout on server

fuji-ai - SRC

iss - WORKS!!!

netcat - WORKS!!!

ra8key - WORKS!!!

uptodate - WORKS!!!

shoutbox - loads but then everything I type is in ATASCII graphics?!

mastodon - SRC

warships - MLU

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I've been enjoying using an Atari 800 with FujiNet here recently.  Mostly use it for getting on BBSs to write other users on those systems.  I use mainly Bobterm for ATASCII and Flickerterm for ANSI.

I've gotten on some of the games that are FujiNet modified and played them through that.

And of course while there is much that I have not tried, the lists of what you've tried also help.