IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

24 minutes ago, big_guitar said:

Thank you for the differences and sample file, I tried using a keyboard with the menu, but that didn't work, have you tried that? 

I will try setting some of your differences that I haven't yet implemented when I get a chance, thank you!

Yeah.  Still no keyboard.  I've seen conversations elsewhere about disabled keyboards on RetroArch, not relating to the GsP.  Nothing that helped though, unfortunately.  The keyboard works, up until RetroArch loads, and then the kb is dead until RA exits.  Apparently, the "menu" button issue is also more of a 'feature' of this version of RetroArch, than it is something that MyArcade added.  Newer versions added the ability to completely disable the menu, so the button can be reused without interference.  There is some nuance, people have claimed that remapping the "*menu_toggle" settings to particular button combinations will free that button, but I haven't had any real luck with that on the GsP.  This may only apply to non-GsP controllers, due to the special handling of GsP controllers.

21 minutes ago, big_guitar said:

Is that only when k is a specific value, or if k is passed at all? I have seen intermittent menu button not working, but not consistently.

I've not tried it with anything other than 0 or 1.  I'm pretty sure it's just an  enabled/disabled switch.  IOW, "1" means - force save menu display, save states enabled, and "0" means - force save menu display, save states disabled.  Omitting the switch entirely allows the cfg menu settings to take effect.

Edited by fluxit

27 minutes ago, lucifershalo said:

hello, so which systems work now on Gamestation Pro?

This is what I extracted from other sources (don't recall where) for extension matches (using stock 1.30 firmware). Other cores can be used with patched firmware.

Sega Master System - Extension .SMS
Atari 5200 - Extension .A52
Atari 7800 - Extension .A78
Atari 2600 - Extension .A26
Super Nintendo/SuperFamicom - Extension .SFC
Nintendo Game Boy - Extension .GB
Nintendo Game Boy Color - Extension .GBC
Nintendo Game Boy Advanced - Extension .GBA
Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom - Extension .NES
NEC TurboGraphx 16/PC Engine - Extension .PCE
Nintendo Stellaview - Extension .SFC and .SMC
Sega Game Gear - Extension .GG
Sega Genesis - Extension .MD (all formats work smd, bin, md, gen)
Mame - Extension .zip

Edited by big_guitar
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, fluxit said:

There is some nuance, people have claimed that remapping the "*menu_toggle" settings to particular button combinations will free that button, but I haven't had any real luck with that on the GsP. 

So how are you invoking the menu?  I see you have input_menu_toggle_btn = "16", what does your 16 map to? 

I tried the combo setting as well for L3+R3 ("2"), didn't take, but with the default button at 'nul', the menu came up when I pressed my North button (Y on xbox), but the only option displayed was "Quit Game" (tested under 'Beetle PCE Fast' and also Mame)

Edited by big_guitar

[Menu] Updated more settings, the only thing perhaps is if it would be expecting something from the built-in existing assets directory that I'm missing, but it's odd otherwise... 

Don't see your 'menu_wallpaper_nosave' referenced anywhere online.

Edited by big_guitar

Something I was reading over on the RetroPie side, where people were having gamepad driver issue with RA.  They were resolved by switching from udev to SDL2.  Not sure if that would impact our controller recognition.  Seemed to be an issue with certain versions of Linux.

Make the following changes:
/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

input_driver="sdl2"
input_joypad_driver = "sdl2"

/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/Gamepad.cfg

15 minutes ago, GB_Baker said:

They were resolved by switching from udev to SDL2. 

Except on GSP, there is no SDL2 available to select.  I mentioned this in a previous post, only "udev" is available unfortunately.  I was thinking I might be able to get 3DO to at least start if I could use SDL2.

SDL2:        SDL2 input/audio/video drivers: no

Edited by big_guitar

[Menu] OK I see the "nosave" cfg option must be unique to this implementation of retroarch by MyArcade.  That wasn't it though, neither was assets directory.  Eliminating K altogether didn't help either, unless I need K to be "1" for some reason.

[update] I must have misinterpreted the "no -k or -y on the command line" as unrelated, but after removing those, I still only have the "Quit Game" option listed. Performing multiple file compares between your cfg and mine, nothing remaining stands out to me, some audio & video opacity settings & such, but I can't see how those would make a difference here.... Although, perhaps you aren't even loading a core based on your screenshot... and of course THAT WAS IT... 

Going into the sub-menus though, I could never get back to the main menu screen... Not sure why I thought you were getting there from within a game.  Interesting to check out the info though.

Edited by big_guitar

1 hour ago, big_guitar said:

[Menu] OK I see the "nosave" cfg option must be unique to this implementation of retroarch by MyArcade.  That wasn't it though, neither was assets directory.  Eliminating K altogether didn't help either, unless I need K to be "1" for some reason.

[update] I must have misinterpreted the "no -k or -y on the command line" as unrelated, but after removing those, I still only have the "Quit Game" option listed. Performing multiple file compares between your cfg and mine, nothing remaining stands out to me, some audio & video opacity settings & such, but I can't see how those would make a difference here.... Although, perhaps you aren't even loading a core based on your screenshot... and of course THAT WAS IT... 

Going into the sub-menus though, I could never get back to the main menu screen... Not sure why I thought you were getting there from within a game.  Interesting to check out the info though.

I'm not sure what's in there that still might be useful, but at least we can see all of the available options without having to decipher the binary.

The menus have sections, and subsections.  You can only back out of a subsection with the "b" button.  To return from one section to another requires a different key or button, I'm not sure which one, or if it's even one that we're allowed to map on the GsP.

Edited by fluxit
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, fluxit said:

The default "back" keyboard key on my Linux machine in RetroArch is Backspace.

The "B" button was going back to some extent in the GSP-retroarch menu, but under some menus it wouldn't work.  Haven't tried the unified menu setting, but generally A/B/D-pad worked to some extent. Had to go left-right to get to some options instead of up-down.  My menu toggle combo setting is listed there (L3 + R3), but it wasn't really working during a game.  But when I was getting "Quit" only (menu within a game), B would go back, but the menu access with the North button would often stop working, and I'd have to press L3+R3 prior to using the North button to bring up the menu, seemed to reset things to make the main menu button work again.

Edited by big_guitar
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, big_guitar said:

This is what I extracted from other sources (don't recall where) for extension matches (using stock 1.30 firmware). Other cores can be used with patched firmware.

Sega Master System - Extension .SMS
Atari 5200 - Extension .A52
Atari 7800 - Extension .A78
Atari 2600 - Extension .A26
Super Nintendo/SuperFamicom - Extension .SFC
Nintendo Game Boy - Extension .GB
Nintendo Game Boy Color - Extension .GBC
Nintendo Game Boy Advanced - Extension .GBA
Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom - Extension .NES
NEC TurboGraphx 16/PC Engine - Extension .PCE
Nintendo Stellaview - Extension .SFC and .SMC
Sega Game Gear - Extension .GG
Sega Genesis - Extension .MD (all formats work smd, bin, md, gen)
Mame - Extension .zip

SNES struggles for me on the GSP, runs slowly on most games and has sound issues too. Has anyone else noticed this?

I edited my runme so that I could bring up the menu whenever based on a rom path trap, but a couple things-

• It actually seems to be recognizing my Controller CFG file I placed in a custom sdcard path autoconfig/udev directory. I placed a file "Generic X-Box pad.cfg" in there.
    Lists under the first page of system information. May have to put some odd values there to see if it changes controller function.
  • Using the "Load Recent" option has seemed to work fine so far loading games, even loading the entries for the added cores.
    When accessing a game in this manner, you can get back into the RA menu.
    If we could figure out how to save/load with the menu, that would be nice.  Perhaps there's a setting yet that could cause those to work.

20240112_223820sm.jpg

20240112_221645sm.jpg

Edited by big_guitar
  • Like 1

[Config Files]

A proper udev Controller cfg file does have an impact, but it won't resolve button issues with buttons set to 'nul' or buttons set improperly in the passed retroarch cfg file.  It can however resolve axis settings that are nul in the passed retroarch.cfg.

[Menu] - I was actually able to get the menu loaded still passing Y or K as a parm, just without passing a core + game rom (no -L).  With my main cfg files, selecting a game the normal way outside of menu (sdcard navigation), the menu button does bring up options in the RA-type interface (with current cfg settings), but the focus is game-specific for save/load/quit, although save doesn't work.  You cannot get back to the listing of recent games in that scenario (or at least I can't currently).

Edited by big_guitar

5 hours ago, big_guitar said:

[Config Files]

A proper udev Controller cfg file does have an impact, but it won't resolve button issues with buttons set to 'nul' or buttons set improperly in the passed retroarch cfg file.  It can however resolve axis settings that are nul in the passed retroarch.cfg.

[Menu] - I was actually able to get the menu loaded still passing Y or K as a parm, just without passing a core + game rom (no -L).  With my main cfg files, selecting a game the normal way outside of menu (sdcard navigation), the menu button does bring up options in the RA-type interface (with current cfg settings), but the focus is game-specific for save/load/quit, although save doesn't work.  You cannot get back to the listing of recent games in that scenario (or at least I can't currently).

I've been going straight to the menu with the following in my runme.sh using the config(slightly modified) from @fluxit with rgui enabled:

retroarch --config /mnt/sdcard/agsp/retroarch/retroarch.cfg --menu

I've been able to navigate with the GSP stick in the menus and create custom controller bindings, but still have trouble with not all buttons reading with the Pro 2.  It will save udev controller configs to the sdcard autoconfig folder.  The Pro 2 will be seen by udev as three different controllers depending on the mode whether its in A, D, or X mode.  I still have similar issues where not all buttons are being recognized.  The configs attached are examples of what are generated by retroarch, but they are not fully configured. Like you mentioned, I was also able to get it to see the left and right stick.  Right now Sony mode is the closest to having all buttons working.  Sony mode also allows navigation in the GSP main menus where d-input and x-input do not with the Pro 2.

I also tried enabling glui and ozone, but they did not work.

Sony Computer Entertainmen Wireless Controller.cfg 8BitDo 8BitDo Pro 2.cfg Microsoft X-Box 360 pad.cfg retroarch.cfg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GB_Baker said:

It will save udev controller configs to the sdcard autoconfig folder. 

So are you using both GSP and pro 2 at the same time?  Are the saves working with the A button on one vs the other?  I haven't gotten saves to work from the menu so far, but not sure I tried GSP controller.

On 1/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, GB_Baker said:

The configs attached are examples of what are generated by retroarch, but they are not fully configured.

Interesting that your xbox values for [a,b,x,y] don't match what I'm using. 

In order to get normal Y-north (built in menu trigger) assigned elsewhere to do what Y would do otherwise in the core+game, that must be set to "306" in my cfg. 

For identical letter matching also on my controller, mine has x=304,a=305,b=307, so only B matches with yours.

I've had GSP for about a week.  I'm not playing it much but was poking around the software a little.  While it isn't as straightforward as a Flashback, I can modify the rootfs and the UI selection fairly easily.  This is pretty much a brute-force firmware change.  Anything sdcard-based or more user friendly would be a bit more work, and I don't know if anybody else is working on this.

20240114_140653-Copy.thumb.jpg.5156ca324916dfae4d8fe673e640d159.jpg20240114_140702-Copy.thumb.jpg.1121c14610b412c133d34361886b2e9d.jpg20240114_140721-Copy.thumb.jpg.5897b88cb25d1a8979a730dfa9c5a92b.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I've had GSP for about a week.  I'm not playing it much but was poking around the software a little.  While it isn't as straightforward as a Flashback, I can modify the rootfs and the UI selection fairly easily.  This is pretty much a brute-force firmware change.  Anything sdcard-based or more user friendly would be a bit more work, and I don't know if anybody else is working on this.

20240114_140653-Copy.thumb.jpg.5156ca324916dfae4d8fe673e640d159.jpg20240114_140702-Copy.thumb.jpg.1121c14610b412c133d34361886b2e9d.jpg20240114_140721-Copy.thumb.jpg.5897b88cb25d1a8979a730dfa9c5a92b.jpg

Glad to hear you got a GSP. If you could do for this system what you did with the Flashback systems that would be awesome!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

We've just been playing around with a tiny hack I did to start_local_sd.sh to investigate the system, add RA cores and alter the RetroArch configs.  Nobody else has been public with their GsP mods on AtariAge so far that I've seen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fluxit said:

We've just been playing around with a tiny hack I did to start_local_sd.sh to investigate the system, add RA cores and alter the RetroArch configs.  Nobody else has been public with their GsP mods on AtariAge so far that I've seen.

I see.  I did something similar for Flashback devices, so I can probably incorporate that into whatever I can figure out.  Basic idea is to shift menu data and roms to sdcard if feasible and then figure out best way to enable people to customize.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, big_guitar said:

Interesting that your xbox values for [a,b,x,y] don't match what I'm using. 

In order to get normal Y-north (built in menu trigger) assigned elsewhere to do what Y would do otherwise in the core+game, that must be set to "306" in my cfg. 

For identical letter matching also on my controller, mine has x=304,a=305,b=307, so only B matches with yours.

There is some weirdness with the controller binding page.  I would start with the controller config and it would always default those buttons to 304, 305, 307 ...etc.  The attached config is what I am using now.  It's basically the SDL2 config switched to udev.  I also set:

input_player1_analog_dpad_mode = "1"

I have downloaded the current armhf MAME2003 core from buildbot and am playing content launched within the rgui menu.  R2 gets me the config menu in game play and I am able to make controller adjustments.  Some of the buttons still are not getting recognized in with the 8bitdo Pro 2 in Xbox 360 mode.  Since I am using analog dpad mode, I am controlling most everything with the left stick.  I only just started running the mame2003 core from my SDCARD.  Going to explore other controller settings with my Pro 2 and other cores when I get a chance.

X360 Controller.cfg retroarch.cfg

2 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

From SD card...

20240115_142033-Copy.thumb.jpg.579628f4c378ba347fd80f3b022e78a2.jpg

The UI is not the best.  It seems to have no sort order, just pulls things in the order they appear in the database.  Anyway I need to clean this up a little and then I can post a custom firmware in the next few days maybe.

That is awesome! Is there a way to update the database to sort the games in the order you would like them to appear?

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 3:00 PM, Brad_from_the_80s said:

While it isn't as straightforward as a Flashback, I can modify the rootfs and the UI selection fairly easily.

Thanks for experimenting with that and sharing.  It would be nice [IMO] if we could get the rootfs modified, such as to include SDL2 input drivers for example, which for some cores may perform better.  If the partition size must match, I suppose other unused files would have to be deleted for that, but I'm sure you'd have a better idea of the related limitations.