IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

16 hours ago, Riko said:

Narc works though suffers from intense slow down. Wizard of Wor works good, Holey Moley cant hit the first 2 rows, the game Flower is broken and garbled with at least the copy i have, Defender can't turn around. Alot are hit and miss.

Look at page 34. I made and uploaded a Defender cfg configuration file that uses up/down and all 5 buttons on Joystick #1.  Joystick 2 starts the game.

MAME arcade games on the GSP need input controller configuration within the game.  That is the #1 mod request on my list.

6 hours ago, Atari8264 said:

Look at page 34. I made and uploaded a Defender cfg configuration file that uses up/down and all 5 buttons on Joystick #1.  Joystick 2 starts the game.

MAME arcade games on the GSP need input controller configuration within the game.  That is the #1 mod request on my list.

I guess adding mods are easy?

8 hours ago, Atari8264 said:

Any chance for Mame Wild Western cfg configuration file? It is so awesome of you to share.

On 12/28/2023 at 5:29 PM, MattJH said:

@SoulBlazer has done a great job testing various controllers earlier in this thread, and GenXGrownUp posted an equally helpful video on YouTube, but neither have mentioned the two controllers I have handy and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm/deny that they'd work. I have an Xbox Wireless Controller model 1708 which came out in 2016 alongside the Xbox One S, and I have 8BitDo's SN30 Pro. If I have a Micro-USB to USB-A cable and a USB-A to USB-C adapter, am I all set for both controllers?

Tangential question. Based on reports I've read, it seems that wired controllers (e.g. ones with no Bluebooth and no 2.4GHz, just an integrated cable) won't work at all on a GSP. Does anyone know the technical reason why those are duds, but Bluetooth versions of those same controllers with a USB-C cable run into the GSP work fine?

I can speak for the wired 8BitDo's SN30 Pro. The d pad does not work at all, so selecting any game other than tic-tac-toe is not possible w/out using the included controllers. However, once a game is running, the left stick does work as expected. The A/B/X/Y buttons are all active (I think), but not mapped how they should be, they seem to be mapped like an xbox controller, so A and B are swapped and X and Y are swapped (I think)...Left trigger is Select and right trigger is Start. I did not find any buttons that mapped to true L/R (though, now that I think of it, I did not try pushing Select or Start). L2/R2 don't seem to do anything. The right stick doesn't seem to do anything.

Bottom line: many games are playable, but the controls are not intuitive and the triggers don't work (so no 'jumping' in super mario cart). As others have mentioned, the GSP sorely needs a setting to configure controllers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fluxit said:

Here's the working RAM info for the GsP:

MemTotal:            249668 kB
MemFree:            170372 kB
MemAvailable:     175672 kB

so not much. 

I passed -y and -k to RA without values (separately) hoping it would reference what they represent, but just the simplistic result (which I guess i normal for retroarch)

retroarch: option requires an argument -- 'y'

I tried Pac-Man 5200 on the Gamestation pro, and there is a high pitched whine when starting the game. Game is playable but that high whine is really bad on the ears. happens sometimes with the intermissions too. Do I have a Bad ROM or is this an emulator issue?. No other 5200 game I tried does this. 

2 hours ago, captcapcom said:

I tried Pac-Man 5200 on the Gamestation pro, and there is a high pitched whine when starting the game. Game is playable but that high whine is really bad on the ears. happens sometimes with the intermissions too. Do I have a Bad ROM or is this an emulator issue?. No other 5200 game I tried does this. 

It's an emulator issue.  It affect a couple of other games as well.  I forget which.

I had a request on one of my YouTube videos. Someone was having problems configuring Video Pinball and he is following stuff here as well. I made 3 .cfgs for it for anybody interested. The ACFlip one was how he wanted it. a and C buttons for flippers, down to launch, up to nudge. (Doesn't seem to do anything). LeftRightFlip has left and right for the flippers. I made one more for PSClassic controllers (and Xbox). L2 and R2 act as the flippers. Bumpers on Xbox. X to launch, up to nudge. Hopefully you have the old artwork file for the game or it won't make much sense how the ball is bouncing around. Deleting it now.  Just configured it quick.

VideoPinballGSP.jpg

VidPinCFG.zip

• Like 1

17 hours ago, big_guitar said:

so not much. 

I passed -y and -k to RA without values (separately) hoping it would reference what they represent, but just the simplistic result (which I guess i normal for retroarch)

retroarch: option requires an argument -- 'y'

Well, that's something.  I've tried several different color combinations in the cfgs, and changed the various "opacity" settings, but the RetroArch menu always ends up being just black.  The selection rectangle moves, but I can't see what the options are so it's useless.  Have you had any better luck?

RAMwise, the GsP has twice the RAM of the Retron 77, and the same as the 2600+ at 256MB.

On another note, I may have found a way to survey controllers that are connected, in order to know exactly which button or control is seen as what by RetroArch,  I've been going through each binary and script on the GsP, one by one.  I'm convinced that evtest is the ticket, if it runs.  I've not actually tried it yet on the GsP.

From start_local_sd.sh:

12)
    GAME_LIB=a5200_libretro.so
    ;;
  13)
    GAME_LIB=a5200_libretro_new.so

From my allgames survey of the GsP:

0 12 /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch/a5200_4_3.cfg /data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari 5200/Centipede.a52
0 12 /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch/a5200_4_3.cfg /data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari 5200/Frisky Tom.a52
0 12 /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch/a5200_4_3.cfg /data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari 5200/Millipede.a52
0 12 /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch/a5200_Baseball_4_3.cfg /data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari 5200/RealSports Baseball.a52
0 12 /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch/a5200_Baseball_4_3.cfg /data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari 5200/RealSports Basketball.a52
0 12 /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch/a5200_MissileCommand_4_3.cfg /data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari 5200/Missile Command.a52
0 13 /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch/a5200_Meebzork_4_3.cfg /data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari 5200/Meebzork.a52

As you can see by the "12"s, all but one of the built-in 5200 games on the GsP use a5200_libretro.  a5200_libretro is also used for 5200 games that are loaded from the SD card.  I wanted to know why, so I had them all use a5200_libretro_new instead, and found that "new" has slightly better compatibility.  I'm still not sure why they are primarily using the other.

Here's my current "runme.sh" that always uses the "new" core for 5200 games.

always-new.zip

Edited by fluxit

4 hours ago, fluxit said:

I've tried several different color combinations in the cfgs, and changed the various "opacity" settings, but the RetroArch menu always ends up being just black.  The selection rectangle moves, but I can't see what the options are so it's useless.  Have you had any better luck?

No, but I threw a bunch of different numbers at the Y and K options (leaving the other out), and nothing really changed, although in my testing without the K I think there were some times I couldn't get the controller to do anything after launch. 

I also loaded a Core without the game rom which displayed the menu screen, but yes just black other than the core name at the lower left corner (such as "Plus GX v1.7.4 c9c3b18" for Genesis). 

I hadn't thought about trying colors or opacity settings, so perhaps the menu is actually there black text on black.  Previously I had tried --appendconfig FILE in some testing, supposedly that takes priority over "-c", but you'd think it would be good enough in the primary config. I suppose we could see if append behaves any differently. 

I was hoping to find a way for more keyboard keys to work while in retroarch.  The "whoami" command reports "root", but the inability to write to the squashfs partition limits, although perhaps there's another way.

7 hours ago, fluxit said:

I'm convinced that evtest is the ticket, if it runs. 

Wow, great call on that!  Got some data passed to stdout redirect... 

I had been trying to manually map the controls for FreeIntv via Xbox controller.  The values and descriptions don't match of course, but it reveals other values to test with.

Without passing parms, it listed all devices.  Showing my connected xbox controller and lenovo keyboard.  

/dev/input/event0:	gpio-keys
/dev/input/event1:	Generic X-Box pad
/dev/input/event2:	Chicony Lenovo Fingerprint USB Keyboard
/dev/input/event3:	ShanWan Twin USB Joystick
/dev/input/event4:	ShanWan Twin USB Joystick

Now the GSP controller options listed by default with no parms passed to evtest (image with columns to take up less space).  

twin-usb-keys.jpg

Where it states "Testing ..." is where it locked up, but I had my GSP controllers turned off, with my xbox plugged into the first usb port. 

But then, when I ran it by passing the command:  evtest --grab /dev/input/event1  it then spit out options for my XBOX controller.  

Edited by big_guitar
  • Like 1

Lots of weird things with trying to set right analog, behavior is much different from left.

I have most the buttons good for FreeIntv to match as appropriately designed, except triggers and right analog.

[left related cfg] minus/plus x axis: this is good at -0/+0 for x and -1/+1 for y, but not so with right related parameters.

[right related cfg] you'd think (-2/+2 and -3/+3) or (-3/+3 and -4/+4) might be good, but no.

For FreeIntv, right analog should select 1 through 9 (except 5), but I was only getting 2 numbers recognized. 

So typically analog stick left and right would record 2 & 8 depending, or 1 & 9 [-2/+2 or -3/+3 settings], but if I changed only one value such as

input_player1_r_x_plus_axis, I could get 2 & 9, but also these values oddly impacted the left trigger at the same time, where it would record #6 on the number pad when using -2/+2, very strange.

On 12/13/2023 at 12:31 PM, Beomaster said:

I bricked my gamestation pro running the firmware update.. the utility connected and uploaded a few files and then had a red failure message. 

Now it won't power on at all or connect to the firmware utility - windows does still make the 'device connected tone' when I plug it in though. Anyone else have this issue?

Just happened to me. Screenshot attached. Everything was fine until I actually attempted to run the firmware updater. Here's my log. I'm so, so bummed. I've tried three different laptops and many different USB-C cables but I can't get RKDevTool to see the unit anymore and it won't power on at all. I suspect the problem happened because I mistakenly used a USB-C charge cable instead of one capable of moving data, but the fact that this mistake will brick the unit is insane. I bought this on eBay too, so now I'm stuck with it. If anyone has a solution that doesn't require a soldering iron, I'm all ears. I spent hours and hours organizing all of my ROMs onto a MicroSD, too. What a deflating experience.

10:41:12 134    RKDevTool v2.7.2.0 start run
10:49:22 886    Layer<1-1>:Download Boot Start
10:49:26 047    Layer<1-1>:Download Boot Success
10:49:26 055    Layer<1-1>:Wait For Maskrom Start
10:49:27 168    Layer<1-1>:Wait For Maskrom Success
10:49:27 173    Layer<1-1>:Test Device Start
10:49:27 215    Layer<1-1>:Test Device Success
10:49:27 266    Layer<1-1>:Check Chip Start
10:49:27 305    Layer<1-1>: Check Chip Success
10:49:27 377    Layer<1-1>:Get FlashInfo Start
10:49:27 401    <LAYER 1-1> INFO:FlashInfo: 00 30 07 00 00 01 04 00 28 00 01
10:49:27 446    Layer<1-1>:Get FlashInfo Success
10:49:27 509    Layer<1-1>:Prepare IDB Start
10:49:27 535    <LAYER 1-1> INFO:CS(1)        (230MB)        (SAMSUNG)
10:49:27 587    Layer<1-1>:Prepare IDB Success
10:49:27 623    Layer<1-1>:Download IDB Start
10:49:27 688    Error:RKU_Read-->ReadFile failed,bRet=0,err=31,size=13,read=0
10:49:29 758    INFO:RKU_ResetPipe-->DeviceIoControl OK
10:49:29 871    Error:RKU_Read-->ReadFile failed,bRet=0,err=31,size=13,read=0
10:49:31 910    INFO:RKU_ResetPipe-->DeviceIoControl OK
10:49:32 168    Layer<1-1>:Download IDB Success
10:49:32 176    Layer<1-1>:Wait For Maskrom Start
10:49:32 757    Layer<1-1>:Wait For Maskrom Success
10:49:32 767    Layer<1-1>:Test Device Start
10:49:32 789    Layer<1-1>:Test Device Success
10:49:32 814    Layer<1-1>: Download Firmware at 0x00000000...
10:49:32 933    Error:RKU_Write-->WriteFile failed,bRet=0,err=31,size=1048576,write=0
10:49:34 956    INFO:RKU_ResetPipe-->DeviceIoControl OK
10:49:35 235    Error:RKU_Write-->WriteFile failed,bRet=0,err=31,size=1048576,write=0
10:49:35 399    ERROR:DownloadImage-->RKU_WriteLBA failed,Written(0),RetCode(0)
10:49:35 490    Layer<1-1>: RunProc is ending, ret=0

atari-gsp-upgrade-attempt.jpg

1 hour ago, MattJH said:

I suspect the problem happened because I mistakenly used a USB-C charge cable instead of one capable of moving data, but the fact that this mistake will brick the unit is insane.

This is unlikely to be the culprit. From MyArcade's support: "The only way [Q&A] were able to brick the unit was by putting the loader.bin file in both locations and running the update. If a cable without data lines is used, like the one that comes in the box, then you wouldn't even be able to get the unit to be recognized by the software." I definitely mounted the loader.bin and firmware image correctly. They said they'll get back to me after Jan 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riko said:

Not sure if this is premature, though is this machine capable of running Playstation 1 stuff? I know its not supported technically though kind of wondering the limits of this little machine. ( I've bought like 3 GSP's for fam and folks for Christmas lol )

Haven't tried, but I imagine performance would be questionable if it can even get the emu running, and will likely have many shortcomings, especially compared to a Windows based emulator.

2 hours ago, Riko said:

Not sure if this is premature, though is this machine capable of running Playstation 1 stuff? I know its not supported technically though kind of wondering the limits of this little machine. ( I've bought like 3 GSP's for fam and folks for Christmas lol )

No, not really.  pcsx reloaded did about 8-12fps running Medal of Honor.

In comparison Virtual Jaguar does about 1.5fps on Tempest 2000 with "fastblitter" enabled.

16bit is about as far as you'd want to go with the GsP.