IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

17 hours ago, fluxit said:

No, not really.  pcsx reloaded did about 8-12fps running Medal of Honor.

In comparison Virtual Jaguar does about 1.5fps on Tempest 2000 with "fastblitter" enabled.

16bit is about as far as you'd want to go with the GsP.

That's a surprise to me honestly. I Guess its an emulation issue not a power or a ram issue since it has at least 256mb of it. I don't know too much of this stuff though it seems technically it should run (in theory), much like how the n64 should though i know that system is a nightmare to get working on some things.

Edited by Riko

Yesterday, I was able to get the right analog recognized properly on GSP for xbox controller under retroarch cfg

[using right x plus/minus and right y plus/minus (+3/-3,+4/-4)],

but getting L2/R2 or L3/R3 working properly has been an issue still, although bumpers are fine.

There is a relationship with axis settings on the L2/R2 (sometimes able to get activity), but not getting the results expected yet.

While waiting for the approval to join to have access to attachments for that patch, I decided to do my own reverse engineering.

Anyway if you extract the squashfs:rootfs in /etc/S98ui_atari you can find the startup script which probably is symlinked into /etc/init.d
it calls 

/usr/bin/gbx75_spk-init.sh
and 
/usr/bin/game
where /usr/bin/game is a compiled ELF binary, presumably the loader, a custom compiled or renamed minigui... maybe... we can probably run it on an arm system and see what it does.

the resources for the gui are in /usr/local/share/minigui/res/

I speculate the linux distro itself is based off github repo: thepian/buildroot/ branch rockchip/2018.02-rc3

I bet it compiles up pretty darn close...

Has anyone asked for the GPL software used in the GsP as the requirement in the GPL licensing? Is the above repo of buildroot and its 5 contributors behind the GsP?
The buildroot linux contains dropbear ssh and other things which means we can probably plug a USB nic and SSH into the thing... and we can probably easily make a firmware branch with remote root access 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jaymemaurice said:

While waiting for the approval to join to have access to attachments for that patch, I decided to do my own reverse engineering.

Anyway if you extract the squashfs:rootfs in /etc/S98ui_atari you can find the startup script which probably is symlinked into /etc/init.d
it calls 

/usr/bin/gbx75_spk-init.sh
and 
/usr/bin/game
where /usr/bin/game is a compiled ELF binary, presumably the loader, a custom compiled or renamed minigui... maybe... we can probably run it on an arm system and see what it does.

the resources for the gui are in /usr/local/share/minigui/res/

I speculate the linux distro itself is based off github repo: thepian/buildroot/ branch rockchip/2018.02-rc3

I bet it compiles up pretty darn close...

Has anyone asked for the GPL software used in the GsP as the requirement in the GPL licensing? Is the above repo of buildroot and its 5 contributors behind the GsP?
The buildroot linux contains dropbear ssh and other things which means we can probably plug a USB nic and SSH into the thing... and we can probably easily make a firmware branch with remote root access 

Did you check which NIC chipset drivers are compiled into the kernel?  I keep forgetting to do that.

1 hour ago, big_guitar said:

Yesterday, I was able to get the right analog recognized properly on GSP for xbox controller under retroarch cfg

[using right x plus/minus and right y plus/minus (+3/-3,+4/-4)],

but getting L2/R2 or L3/R3 working properly has been an issue still, although bumpers are fine.

There is a relationship with axis settings on the L2/R2 (sometimes able to get activity), but not getting the results expected yet.

Would you mind sharing your .cfg?

13 hours ago, fluxit said:

Would you mind sharing your .cfg?

Certainly, here's the latest working file I keep changing. I save off versions onto my Windows system and note elsewhere any impacts of the changes.

Device is seen as "Generic X-box pad" which it seems a good number of controllers could be seen as.

I usually change the first 5 players to match (input_player#), I think that was the pattern used in the default GSP retroarch config.  The last change I tried was for l3/r3 buttons which did nothing.

Based on other online research, I would have expected l2_axis and r2_axis to work at "+2" / "+5" respectively for triggers, but there was no impact.  If I set those values to _l_axis and _r_axis, the L2/R2 duplicate the bumpers L/R.

Items I know properly match, all 4 dpad (103,105,106,108), A=305, B=307, X=304, [Y normally 308?], Select=310, Start=311, L-Bumper=312, R-Bumper=313, main left axis x/y plus/minus [+0/-0,+1/-1], right axis x/y plus/minus works with [+3/-3,+4/-4].

I've been using the intellivision controller tester, since I know what each retropad button/stick is supposed to do based on developer's design for FreeIntv. The right analog when working records the # selection 1 through 9 (upper-left for #1, etc., this works great), except for 5 and 0 which are supposed to be selected by L3/R3, and L2/R2 are supposed to select the clear/enter keys.

testingintv.cfg

Edited by big_guitar
  • Thanks 1

Remapping settings are recognized, such as if you define a custom input_remapping_directory, and establish a folder therein using the recognized core name, matching file with rmp extension, or the name of a game under that core folder.  But what's very interesting in this case is that different values are recognized.  

For example, I have a core remapping path .../mapping/FreeIntv/FreeIntv.rmp. 

So instead of using 304 or 307 for A and B, I can use 8 for A and 0 for B, 9 for X and 1 for Y.  I used those after creating a core remap under Windows, and surprisingly these values were recognized where I couldn't get them recognized in the command line configurations. [Note, I made changes to this remap file to verify impact under GSP]

2=select, 3=start, 4=dpad up, 5=dpad down, 6=dpad left, 7=dpad right, 10/11 are left and right bumpers. 

Despite that there are ways to get the triggers and thumb buttons to do things (normally associated with other buttons), I think the problem for proper mapping of L2/R2 and L3/R3 (12-15 in Windows remaps) could be input driver limitations (not using xinput), that or within this RA the required unique event codes are ignored in the same way that most keyboard codes are ignored.  If we were lucky, it could be that the "y" or "k" parameters would contribute to the visibility.

Edited by big_guitar
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to use the GSP spinner/paddle in arcade games? Or will the spinner only work in 2600 games?

It would be great to use with Tron, Arkanoid, Tempest...

Either way, thanks for working through these mappings and configs!

2 hours ago, clyde said:

Is it possible to use the GSP spinner/paddle in arcade games? Or will the spinner only work in 2600 games?

It would be great to use with Tron, Arkanoid, Tempest...

Either way, thanks for working through these mappings and configs!

As far as I know, no one has made it work yet.

That being said, I HAVE been able to play Arkanoid with digital controls on MAME, which shocked me a bit.  I wasn’t sure it would be configured correctly out of the box for that.

Not exactly pinpoint control but better than having a game which I figured would be unplayable.

• Like 1

So has anyone tried placing MAME games in the "Atari 2600 Paddle" folder?  I tried to run 2003 MAME Arkanoid from there and got an interesting result.  Can anyone tell me what I am seeing? I don't have any patched firmware installed.  Seems to expose a prompt and GUI of some sort.  I am not really familiar with how the sausage is made within these emulators.

IMG_20240102_202055.jpg

IMG_20240102_202810.jpg

IMG_20240102_203705.jpg

19 minutes ago, GB_Baker said:

So has anyone tried placing MAME games in the "Atari 2600 Paddle" folder?  I tried to run 2003 MAME Arkanoid from there and got an interesting result.  Can anyone tell me what I am seeing? I don't have any patched firmware installed.  Seems to expose a prompt and GUI of some sort.  I am not really familiar with how the sausage is made within these emulators.

IMG_20240102_202055.jpg

IMG_20240102_202810.jpg

IMG_20240102_203705.jpg

That's Stella's(the Atari 2600 emulator) menu.  When you select a file from the "Atari 2600 Paddle" folder, it gets passed to the standalone stella binary(/usr/bin/stella.)

Edited by fluxit

So if Stella is uncertain how to handle the zip... I wonder if a keyboard would work in that scenario unlike RA behavior.

As far as paddle games under RA-Mame, the built-in super breakout game is just that, so you'd think there could be a way, not sure if there are markers in the zip itself that contribute.

Edited by big_guitar

1 hour ago, big_guitar said:

So if Stella is uncertain how to handle the zip... I wonder if a keyboard would work in that scenario unlike RA behavior.

As far as paddle games under RA-Mame, the built-in super breakout game is just that, so you'd think there could be a way, not sure if there are markers in the zip itself that contribute.

It does.  A keyboard even works as a controller.  Selecting the Options menu consistently caused Stella to crash, though.  I thought that this might be related to its inability to successfully read or write a config file, but I'm not sure.

Strangely enough, RetroArch loses the keyboard on my Linux machine in mame2003 after I configure the GsP controller.  Configuration seems to go smoothly, but then when I run Tempest  with mame2003, the controller doesn't work at all, and I can only pause or exit with the keyboard.  I can't even bring up the menu in MAME after configuring the controller(well technically I can with the cfg option, but the menu while properly rendered, is entirely unresponsive,) and AFAIK, I didn't even configure that key/button.  Before I configure the controller, mame2003 works normally.  Super annoying behavior.

Unconfigured, the GsP stick and several buttons work in RetroArch on my Linux machine, including in mame2003, but it won't give me a button 1 or 2 and it won't recognize the paddle until the controller's been configured, so there's no point.

Edited by fluxit
details added

1 hour ago, fluxit said:

Unconfigured, the GsP stick and several buttons work in RetroArch on my Linux machine, including in mame2003, but it won't give me a button 1 or 2 and it won't recognize the paddle until the controller's been configured, so there's no point.

The GSP controller seems to be quite a unique beast with the paddle add-on, although it has some "Twin" recognition even in Windows, I wonder if there isn't something baked into the GSP somewhere for proper handling.  No autoconfig folder, as the intention was to use their own controllers I'm sure.  Otherwise, it would be easier to figure out customizations I'd think, especially on a true Linux system like you have.  I can run retroarch with WSL under windows, but it's flaky and the window positioning is inconsistent and unmovable. Could set up a VM, but perhaps not worth the effort given what you've seen already.

Edited by big_guitar

Anyone wanting to experiment with an original 9 pin controller by using the 2600-dapter D9 (or Ultimate PC Interface) might want to note these event codes reported when I plugged an original Coleco controller into the GSP using a 2600-dapter D9 adapter (with USB-A to C adapter).  You never know, I was just curious about the behavior, as the buttons were definitely not firing properly by default, so tweaking would be needed.

2600-dapter-info2.jpg

Edited by big_guitar

I'd have to try this myself, but someone mentioned on Youtube that Avalanche and Super Breakout (arcade) both work with the paddle when loaded from SD card.

I believe both games are also included/built-in to the GSP, does that mean there's a paddle config stored for them somewhere?

New At Games mystery object!

image.png.684b98f7b2e2e7a7c197885752d13179.png

as seen on GenXGrownUp's Youtube channel

"What is it?" Jon asks.  

Looks like a new game controller for the GSP!

Seems to have, as Jon mentions, a joystick, mini trackball, four action buttons, number pad, spinner + three menu buttons which are probably game select, game reset and menu.

I guess this is a controller that you set down on the table in front of you.  It's for player 1.  If you want player 2 to join, you need to buy another one.  Given that the GSP has emulators for many retro consoles + MAME arcade games, looks like the good people at At Games decided to squash, once and for all, the controller issue by developing a Swiss Army knife does-everything controller that can, I'm just guessing, be used to play almost any game you can find to put on your SD card.  I'm personally very excited to hear this news and looking forward to seeing some video and hearing reports from people who get their hands on one of these and can try it out on real GSP hardware.  

What do you guys think about the mystery object?    

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Looks pretty damn cool and anything with a proper spinner that will work with Tempest is a welcome addition.  Bonus points if it works with Indy 500 (proper sensitivity).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Seems to have, as Jon mentions, a joystick, mini trackball, four action buttons, number pad, spinner + three menu buttons which are probably game select, game reset and menu.

I guess this is a controller that you set down on the table in front of you.  It's for player 1.  If you want player 2 to join, you need to buy another one.  Given that the GSP has emulators for many retro consoles + MAME arcade games, looks like the good people at At Games decided to squash, once and for all, the controller issue by developing a Swiss Army knife does-everything controller that can, I'm just guessing, be used to play almost any game you can find to put on your SD card.  I'm personally very excited to hear this news and looking forward to seeing some video and hearing reports from people who get their hands on one of these and can try it out on real GSP hardware.  

I agree. It's most likely a GSP controller and if I was to guess it is about the same size as the GSP itself. I'm guessing also it will be wireless (with optional wire). The keypad is a dead give away because that is what is lacking the most for the 5200 games on the console. I also wouldn't be surprised if My Arcade makes a deluxe GSP system with one of these in the box (possible with one of the standard controllers included).

48 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

BTW, I think you mean "My Arcade" not AtGames. ;)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

"What is it?" Jon asks.  

Looks more like the silhouette of an arcade cabinet.  The shading across the top makes it look like there is more to it.  Maybe a deluxe GSP in a small cabinet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Baker said:

Looks more like the silhouette of an arcade cabinet.  The shading across the top makes it look like there is more to it.  Maybe a deluxe GSP in a small cabinet. 

I'm dreaming of a full size arcade cabinet with two of those for two players!  And still have the SD card slot to load ANY GAMES YOU WANT.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

3 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

"What is it?" Jon asks.  

Just adding from further into the video a bit more of the left side:

MyArcade Hint 01 03 24.jpg

• Like 1