IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

5 hours ago, Shannon said:

It might be hard to get running, though, because you have to use the retroarch sub-menu to load content for the coleco. 

I had FBNeo+Coleco running already yesterday with subsystem param, but had just stopped for the day as I had spent much time with the crippled Gearcoleco.  It took a while to get left stick totally separated from d-pad, had to edit the fed retroarch.cfg left/right/up/down axis settings to nul (most cfg files have +0/-0,+1/-1) [different from the _plus_ _minus_ entries], as well as disable controller cfg "hat" settings (h0up, h0down etc.) and also make sure any remap file (or other cfg) had analog_dpad_mode set to "0".  All had of them had to change for proper impact.  I did have the 1982 SAC CV tester rom loaded and running (.zip file) with FBNeo+Coleco, just need to see if I can remap satisfactorily.  👍

/usr/bin/retroarch -y $y_param\
    -k "$1"\
    -c $activecfg\
    --subsystem "cv"\
    -L "$libPath" "$rom1" >$retrolog 2>&1; 

[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Using ROM with good CRC and name super action controller tester (1982) (nuvatec).rom from archive /sdcard/Games/FBNEO/suprtest

[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Driver cv_suprtest was successfully started : game's full name is Super Controller Test Cartridge

Edited by big_guitar

[FBNeo+Coleco]

So close, but I think there might be an issue with this CV Linux subsystem, but hard to say. 😕

I can map everything out (including the spinner and all 4 fire buttons) except for keypad #1 and #2.

For FBNeo-Coleco remapping under Windows, the recognized values range from 0-23.  Under this Linux build, I can only get values 0-21 recognized, but I can map those values to any available controller button & such.  None of those 22 values associate with keypad #1 or #2.

Values 10/11 should reference keypads #1 and #2, but under Linux 10/11 are #3 and #4.  It's simply as if a couple entries are missing.

I have not had this specific type of issue with other cores from the remapping perspective, although other cores lacked the ability to assign needed particulars in core options.

[UPDATE] I found a newer FBNeo build that just might take care of this issue!  I had been using the 2020 build from libretro.com. 

Edited by big_guitar
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, big_guitar said:

https://zoltanvb.github.io/armv7-hf-neon/   

The site had been recommended to me originally for GearColeco (which was quite problematic), so I saw there was a newer build for FBNeo.

And now I can assign all 24 values in the remap!  happy again  😀

Thanks for the link. Looking at the dates you all might want to consider using these.  If the dates are based on the corresponding source codes then the A5200 and A800 cores should be updates which means the A5200 core has more CRC's ( I added a bunch of A800 conversions ) as well as the ability to use the mzpokey sound core which does not have the ringing issues that the Ron Fries Pokey core has.

Plus A800 has some improvements.. especially in relation to the A5200 support.... I added CRC's for all A5200 and A800 carts that I knew of as well as a couple of fixes ( Bounty Bob), ETC.  Lots of fixes for Hatari.  Although I don't think the unix build had issues that I knew of.  I'm sure other cores have benefited from updates as well.  Quite a few things added in the last couple years for all cores.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 1

Hi there.

So I'm planning to get the GSP; mostly to use as a dev target and to play digital copies of homebrew games. I also know that there are new controllers coming for it, of which I've seen that it'll be close to the OG 3-button Jaguar controller in terms of button layout.

I want to use the stock firmware, but I got a couple questions:
1. How good is the stock firmware and how often is it updated?
2. If there is an update to the stock firmware, do I have to image it on to the SD card with balenaEtcher or something?
3. If the update isn't good enough, how good will the custom firmware be?

Thanks.

Note about question 2: I use Linux. More specifically Linux Mint.

19 hours ago, Shannon said:

Looking at the dates you all might want to consider using these. 

That site has another bug fixed for the FREEINTV implementation of the triggers as well, so that's great. 👍  

A similar issue still exists for CoolCV because I don't think the code is public and some features were borrowed from the earlier buggy FreeIntv version.

Edited by big_guitar

You should've fired it up instead of trying to find a tutorial. It's actually not difficult and is kind of self-explanatory. :)

But to make it even easier, I'm happy to help. Use your mouse cursor to highlight all your .bin's that you want to change the file extension to and drag them into the box in Advanced Renamer with a white background. Your files will then be listed in the white box. Now select "Add method" (it's the icon with the green + icon) and pick "replace". Type in .bin in the box marked "text to be replaced" and then type .a26 in the box labeled as  "replace with:". Lastly, scroll down to the drop-down box that says "Apply to". Change this away from 'name' to 'name and extension'.

Then just simply click on the icon that says "start batch" at the upper right corner and your files will all be renamed.

• Like 2

Does anyone know the correct way to arrange directories for MAME on the SD-Card? Specifically, where to put artwork, samples, and cfg directories?

I put copies of the directories in two places as a test, and got the samples and overlay artwork to function (although the samples play too fast!), but the controller cfg files don't seem to be recognized in either location.

I am using some roms from the MAME 2003 romset (0.78), although on my RetroPie, it was setup this way:

RetroPie\BIOS\mame2003\artwork

RetroPie\BIOS\mame2003\samples

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\      (zipped rom files)

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\mame2003\cfg

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\mame2003\diff

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\mame2003\hi

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\mame2003\nvram

Currently I have the GameStation Pro set up this way:

Arcade\      (zipped rom files)

Arcade\cfg

Arcade\samples

Arcade\artwork

Arcade\mame2003\cfg

Arcade\mame2003\diff

Arcade\mame2003\hi

Arcade\mame2003\nvram

Arcade\mame2003\samples

Arcade\mame2003\artwork

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, crash said:

Does anyone know the correct way to arrange directories for MAME on the SD-Card? Specifically, where to put artwork, samples, and cfg directories?

I put copies of the directories in two places as a test, and got the samples and overlay artwork to function (although the samples play too fast!), but the controller cfg files don't seem to be recognized in either location.

I am using some roms from the MAME 2003 romset (0.78), although on my RetroPie, it was setup this way:

RetroPie\BIOS\mame2003\artwork

RetroPie\BIOS\mame2003\samples

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\      (zipped rom files)

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\mame2003\cfg

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\mame2003\diff

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\mame2003\hi

RetroPie\roms\mame-libretro\mame2003\nvram

Currently I have the GameStation Pro set up this way:

Arcade\cfg

Arcade\samples

Arcade\artwork

Arcade\mame2003\cfg

Arcade\mame2003\diff

Arcade\mame2003\hi

Arcade\mame2003\nvram

Arcade\mame2003\samples

Arcade\mame2003\artwork

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

I have had mine set up this way for a while and it works fine:

Arcade\cfg

Arcade\samples

Arcade\artwork

3 hours ago, Mocotechprfl said:

I have had mine set up this way for a while and it works fine:

Arcade\cfg

Arcade\samples

Arcade\artwork

Yup, all inside the "Games" root directory. So, Games\Arcade\artwork

Thanks very much everyone.

I thought it wasn't finding everything because the controls weren't working, but it seems the problem is that these cfg files don't work as expected with GameStation Pro Controller.

I would like to find a single stick control version for Battlezone (bzone.cfg), but it would be nice to get all of them updated for the GSP controller. Can anyone advise how these cfg file can be updated for the GSP controller, since they cannot be edited? I haven't changed MAME controller configurations before, but I assume you need a keyboard to open the MAME menu system. Is the controls.ini file not used by the GSP?

I see that @Shannon has kindly fixed several of these files. Is there any location where all fixed cfg files for GSP are being assembled? I haven't found a way to search this thread for posts with attachments, but so far have found:

asteroid.cfg

astdelux.cfg

bzone.cfg (seems to be a fix for a dual stick controller?)

bzone-right-stick.cfg (seems to be a fix for a dual stick controller?)   

retroarch-bzone.cfg (cfg for retroarch)  

gravitar.cfg

spacduel.cfg

It would be nice to eventually put a complete set of fixed cfgs here

Lastly, is there any way to fix the samples playing too fast? I noticed this for Space Fury. I'm not positive, but it seems the game may be running too fast as well. If this is an issue with all of the samples, I may try to change the pitch and duration of all of the sample sets.

Thanks!

Edited by crash

5 hours ago, crash said:

Thanks very much everyone.

I thought it wasn't finding everything because the controls weren't working, but it seems the problem is that these cfg files don't work as expected with GameStation Pro Controller.

I would like to find a single stick control version for Battlezone (bzone.cfg), but it would be nice to get all of them updated for the GSP controller. Can anyone advise how these cfg file can be updated for the GSP controller, since they cannot be edited? I haven't changed MAME controller configurations before, but I assume you need a keyboard to open the MAME menu system. Is the controls.ini file not used by the GSP?

I see that @Shannon has kindly fixed several of these files. Is there any location where all fixed cfg files for GSP are being assembled? I haven't found a way to search this thread for posts with attachments, but so far have found:

asteroid.cfg

astdelux.cfg

bzone.cfg (seems to be a fix for a dual stick controller?)

bzone-right-stick.cfg (seems to be a fix for a dual stick controller?)   

retroarch-bzone.cfg (cfg for retroarch)  

gravitar.cfg

spacduel.cfg

It would be nice to eventually put a complete set of fixed cfgs here

Lastly, is there any way to fix the samples playing too fast? I noticed this for Space Fury. I'm not positive, but it seems the game may be running too fast as well. If this is an issue with all of the samples, I may try to change the pitch and duration of all of the sample sets.

Thanks!

It would be great if we could use the GSP to remap controls but we don't have that available to us. 

Domeshtan created many cfg files for different arcade games and provided the info so others can make them too.  You need Mame on your computer to figure out the locations to change in the config files. He has a YouTube channel with all the info about editing config files with a hex editor.

He created a dual GSP stick bzone.cfg file which works just like the arcade.

I'm at a loss here.  I picked up a Gamestation Pro.. I used it with no problem twice. Now it seems to want to keep restarting to the splash page everytime I choose a game.  

I also tried to insert a MicroSD card to access the Roms. I see them in there but when choosing, it restarts to the splash page.. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, AceSpacely said:

I'm at a loss here.  I picked up a Gamestation Pro.. I used it with no problem twice. Now it seems to want to keep restarting to the splash page everytime I choose a game.  

I also tried to insert a MicroSD card to access the Roms. I see them in there but when choosing, it restarts to the splash page.. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

My friend had a similar issue. He had to swap out his USB to AC converter to a stronger/different one and that solved the issue. Give that a try.

This was one of my pet peeves that My Arcade doesn't include that adapter and that you have to dig up one on your own.

1 hour ago, AceSpacely said:

Thanks!

I've not heard of that but you may want to try updating the firmware if you haven't yet:

https://www.myarcadegaming.com/pages/atari-gamestation-firmware-upgrade-to-v-1-3-only

Ah yes, Mocotechprfl makes a good point. MyArcade recommends using a 5V, 2A adapter.

Edited by clyde
adapter info

On 1/23/2024 at 4:12 PM, crash said:

Lastly, is there any way to fix the samples playing too fast?

There are some audio specific parameters that you could edit under retroarch.cfg that might help, but using a customized retroarch config file would require using a firmware patch such as what @fluxit made to execute custom scripts. I haven't heard of any means for changing sample rates out of the box that I can recall. 

[FBNeo] - Front Line (Arcade Version)

You cannot properly configure the "Front Line" Arcade game under Mame 2003, but it can be properly configured when using Final Burn Neo!

I'm providing related information in case anyone else is interested in taking a deeper dive.

This requires passing the updated core library fbneo_libretro.so to retroarch as referenced on this site.  In this case, you won't need to pass a subsystem variable.

Below I've provided sample configuration settings that work for an XBOX controller.  Most of the settings would work for 2 GSP sticks, but the REMAP file would need some tweaks.  I define a unique remapping directory in the retroarch.cfg file depending on which controllers are used, since I cannot identify a proper "GSP-twin controller" configuration file that will work properly with my xbox remaps.

The left 2 columns are for key settings made to the retroarch cfg file, and columns 3/4 list the remapping settings I use for frontline. 

fbneo2.cfg-no subsystem /sdcard/jlib/mapping/FBNEO2/FinalBurn Neo/frontlin.rmp description
input_player1_a_btn 305 input_player1_btn_a "0" fire gun
input_player1_b_btn 307 input_player1_btn_b "8" throw grenade/jump
input_player1_x_btn 304 input_player1_btn_x "9"  
input_player1_y_btn 306      
aspect_ratio_index "22" input_player1_analog_dpad_mode "0"  
input_remapping_directory "/sdcard/jlib/mapping/FBNEO2"      
system_directory "/sdcard/jlib/system/"      
input_player1_left_axis nul input_player1_stk_l_x+ "16" left stick = move player
input_player1_right_axis nul input_player1_stk_l_x- "17"  
input_player1_down_axis nul input_player1_stk_l_y+ "18"  
input_player1_up_axis nul input_player1_stk_l_y- "19"  
input_player1_up_btn 103 input_player1_stk_r_x+ "20" right stick = point gun
input_player1_left_btn 105 input_player1_stk_r_x- "21"  
input_player1_right_btn 106 input_player1_stk_r_y+ "22"  
input_player1_down_btn 108 input_player1_stk_r_y- "23"  
input_player1_select_btn 310 input_player1_btn_select "2"  
input_player1_start_btn 311 input_player1_btn_start "3"  
input_player1_l_btn 312 input_player1_btn_l "23" reset gun to point up
input_player1_r_btn 313 input_player1_btn_r "8" throw grenade/jump
input_player1_l3_btn 317 input_player1_btn_l2 "0" fire gun
input_player1_r3_btn 318 input_player1_btn_r2 "8" throw grenade/jump

Edited by big_guitar

On 1/21/2024 at 11:24 AM, r_chase said:

Hi there.

So I'm planning to get the GSP; mostly to use as a dev target and to play digital copies of homebrew games. I also know that there are new controllers coming for it, of which I've seen that it'll be close to the OG 3-button Jaguar controller in terms of button layout.

I want to use the stock firmware, but I got a couple questions:
1. How good is the stock firmware and how often is it updated?
2. If there is an update to the stock firmware, do I have to image it on to the SD card with balenaEtcher or something?
3. If the update isn't good enough, how good will the custom firmware be?

Thanks.

Note about question 2: I use Linux. More specifically Linux Mint.

I'll probably find the answers to these questions later, but I did just get my Atari GameStation Pro ordered. I really hope it's as good as some of you say it is.

On that note, I just hope it arrives intact.

Edited by r_chase
Adding a note

On 1/23/2024 at 1:12 PM, crash said:

--snip--

Thanks!

Are you referring to the speed and pitch of the speech?  AFAIK, that's a MAME bug, that was later 'fixed.'  The speech isn't in the sample pack, it is a part of the game's ROMs.

With a modified GsP firmware, it is possible to affect the game's CPU clock speed by changing the  retroarch mame2003 cfg option

mame2003_cpu_clock_scale = "default" to a number.  This won't alter the speed or pitch of the speech though, as it doesn't affect the clock of the game's sound device.

I don't believe that any of the basic retroarch options allow for changing a core's speed, or audio ouput speed(or pitch.)  The range of audio options are just aimed at providing higher quality, smoothed audio, or sacrificing audio quality for emulation performance.

Edited by fluxit
typo
  • Like 1