IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

4 hours ago, crash said:

Is there any way to fix this game bug that is playing the speech to fast on the GSP?

For Space Fury? I can try to duplicate the issue, but I'm betting if you patch the firmware and launch it with FBNeo instead, that might resolve the issue, but we can test it to verify.

Hi,

I'm confused. Is there a way to change the emulator in the GSP? I see the link you provided for @fluxit patching the firmware to run scripts; is this capable of running FBNeo or other emulators, or is this for fixing the controller configs? I would be happy to be running a version of MAME without this bug if that were possible. There are less than 50 arcade roms I would probably ever play, but unfortunately many of these seems to have issues at present.

Thanks

6 hours ago, fluxit said:

Are you referring to the speed and pitch of the speech?  AFAIK, that's a MAME bug, that was later 'fixed.' 

Can you imagine any way to fix this bug in the GSP? Thanks

3 hours ago, crash said:

is this capable of running FBNeo or other emulators

Yes it is capable with the patch mentioned. 

I ran some tests with FBNeo, but I didn't think the Mame audio was all that bad.  Unlike Frontline, Space Fury must have been designed to run at 40Hz, which could be contributing to issues.  

I couldn't get rid of screen flickering with GSP-RA-FBNeo, even with setting the fbneo option to force 60Hz (which didn't seem to work), although the display seemed fine through the Windows build (RA+FBNeo).  The audio timing seemed a little better under FBNeo, although some distortion was present.  I tried different aspect ratio settings, but that didn't help any.  There's likely a way to fix the settings to get rid of flickering and perhaps audio issues, but it would take further investigating. [tested the following using the same monitor]

[WINDOWS-RA-FBNEO]

[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Timing set to 40.000000 Hz

[INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 40000.00 Hz.
[INFO] [Video]: Timings deviate too much. Will not adjust. (Target = 60.00 Hz, Game = 40.00 Hz)

[LINUX-GSP-RA-FBNEO]

[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Adjusted audio buffer to match driver's refresh rate (40.000000 Hz)

[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Timing set to 40.000000 Hz

Edited by big_guitar

16 hours ago, big_guitar said:

You cannot properly configure the "Front Line" Arcade game under Mame 2003, but it can be properly configured when using Final Burn Neo!

I made some dual joystick .cfg files that use both GSP joysticks on my YouTube channel a while back. Front Line and Wild Western were a couple of them. (One to move the other to aim).

1 hour ago, Domeshtan said:

I made some dual joystick .cfg files that use both GSP joysticks on my YouTube channel a while back. Front Line and Wild Western were a couple of them. (One to move the other to aim).

OK good to know thank you, I haven't tried to configure dual GSP sticks with FL, but I could not configure the single controller with 2 analog sticks with RA-Mame 2003 for GSP.  In this case I did find FBNeo easier to work with.  I did get 2 GSP sticks setup to work with the Intellivision core using remapping.

Edited by big_guitar

58 minutes ago, Rockymin said:

Sooo..  A creature for my amusement.  Prepare for battle!!

There is a test mode in Space Fury accessible via FBNeo by long pressing of Start, which eventually goes through all of the audio statements. I just never figured out how to fix the screen flickering on GSP (SF+FBNeo), but the same setup under Windows+FBNeo, the video is fine, no flickering.

Edited by big_guitar

Okay, since I just bought a "first-gen" GSP model, can I actually upgrade the firmware using something like Etcher on Linux? I'm really getting tired of that question being ignored.
Might as well tell me to just look through the pages even though I'd rather not at the moment. :|

Just now, r_chase said:

Okay, since I just bought a "first-gen" GSP model, can I actually upgrade the firmware using something like Etcher on Linux? I'm really getting tired of that question being ignored.
Might as well tell me to just look through the pages even though I'd rather not at the moment. :|

Ha, there is a second gen?  I got mine, opened and looked at it... and then didn't have time to actually connect it to anything.

2 minutes ago, leech said:

Ha, there is a second gen?  I got mine, opened and looked at it... and then didn't have time to actually connect it to anything.

The second gen is coming at the end of the year with a redesigned joystick and a new gamepad iirc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_guitar said:

There is a test mode in Space Fury accessible via FBNeo by long pressing of Start, which eventually goes through all of the audio statements. I just never figured out how to fix the screen flickering on GSP (SF+FBNeo), but the same setup under Windows+FBNeo, the video is fine, no flickering.

Man, I really loved that game BITD.  The audio was one of the things that really drew me to it.  After all these years, I still remember it vividly and all the audio from it.

29 minutes ago, r_chase said:

Your question isn't that simple.  I don't know that anyone has successfully upgraded via Linux, but it seems as though it should be possible, given @DirtyHairy's successful experiments with the 2600+, and its similarity to the GsP, WRT to updates.  However, AFAIK, updating from v1.20 as shipped with current units requires a USB connection to another machine.  MyArcade's recommended procedure uses Windows. 

According to "GenXGrownUp," upgrades past v1.30 can be done via SD card.  References in the v1.30 firmware image seem to confirm this.

10 minutes ago, fluxit said:

Your question isn't that simple.  I don't know that anyone has successfully upgraded via Linux, but it seems as though it should be possible, given @DirtyHairy's successful experiments with the 2600+, and its similarity to the GsP, WRT to updates.  However, AFAIK, updating from v1.20 as shipped with current units requires a USB connection to another machine.  MyArcade's recommended procedure uses Windows. 

According to "GenXGrownUp," upgrades past v1.30 can be done via SD card.  References in the v1.30 firmware image seem to confirm this.

I guess I'll have to experiment. What is the required capacity? 16+ GB?

You will probably want to follow the video or PDF instructions here:

https://www.myarcadegaming.com/pages/atari-gamestation-firmware-upgrade-to-v-1-3-only

https://youtu.be/lyyhjoM_1Wg?si=W6FtODbDdyT6D_RU

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1691/7407/files/Atari_Gamestation_Pro_Firmware_Update_Instructions.pdf?v=1703631509

Please note that the cable included with the GSP will not work for updating your firmware, as it is a power cable only (this information is in the PDF).

Cheers

1 minute ago, crash said:

Please note that the cable included with the GSP will not work for updating your firmware, as it is a power cable only (this information is in the PDF).

This is very much why I really am not fond of the USB 'standard' as a whole...

Yeah, that's why I want to use the SD Card way somehow...and if that doesn't work, I do have a USB-C-to-USB-A sync and charge somewhere too. So, yeah...this probably gonna be painful since I'll probably use Wine for the latter. Why? There is no other known way to do it besides Windows. :|

On 1/26/2024 at 5:26 AM, crash said:

Can you imagine any way to fix this bug in the GSP? Thanks

I found out by making a folder to group games by title on the GSP, the speech for Space Fury is not in the samples zip file.  The speech is in one of the ROM files.  You can test that by giving the game's sample file a different file name. 

Just made another discovery. In a YouTube video on 4 player arcade Warlords it was mentioned someone got a 3 player game to work on the GSP. (Like 2 wired controlers and 1 wireless). I did some experimenting with Car Polo on the MAME end of things and with my 2 PS Classic controllers wired and the GSP sticks running wireless all 4 players worked. I took some guesses what the values would be for the player 3 and player 4 joysticks and it seems to be what I suspected as everything mapped out right on the first try. (I changed the Left Right steering to Up and Down).

So it looks like the player 3 joystick maps out as...

89=Left

8A=Right

8B=Up

8C=Down

8D=A Button

8E=B Button

8F=C Trigger

The player 4 joystick values run from 99 to 9F. So if people want to make more custom .cfgs for arcade games on the GSP using 4 joysticks these should be the values. Should be able to make dual stick controls for both players for games like Ultra Tank and Cybersled if it's supported.

• Like 2