IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

6 hours ago, 4096kb said:

Yes there is. You'll need RKDevelopTool from Rockchip in order to do this. The page from Rockchip, the SOC vendor for this device, is here: https://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_Rkdeveloptool. The program is also in the AUR if you're on Arch but I haven't tested this. I compiled from source on Ubuntu 22.04 using the provided instructions and that worked for me.

Here's the steps I use.

Load the bootloader as follows:

rkdeveloptool db Loader.bin

Loading this bootloader lets us access the device's DRAM which is needed for more complex things such as reading/writing data on the 256MB SPI chip.

You can then flash the device with this command:

rkdeveloptool wl 0 Firmware.img

This'll start writing the firmware from the first memory address on the flash through the end of the Firmware.img file.

This should be a drop-in replacement for the Windows software, however, you _will_ need to use the command line.

Some other useful commands:

`rkdeveloptool ppt` will print partition info

`rkdeveloptool rfi` will print information about the flash chip

`rkdeveloptool ld` will list attached devices

`rkdeveloptool wlx` and `rlx` allow you to read and write individual partitions - this is helpful for making modifications to the root and data partitions separately

This next part applies for anyone. I'm not sure if this has been brought up in the thread yet, but if at any point your device is improperly flashed, you can still restore the device. If the SOC sees no attached storage, it will boot directly into RockUSB mode, the same thing that happens when you hold the rear button. This may seem redundant, but the rear button may not work properly if something goes wrong with the UBoot partition on the device. If you bridge the CLK pin on the SPI flash to ground like so, it'll boot into RockUSB and you can restore the device.

There's also a UART header on the board for those who didn't know. I've attached the pinout I've observed.

I've documented my findings on this device on my personal website, https://4096kb.gay/posts/myarcadedoom. Maybe these findings will be helpful to others?

Screenshot 2023-12-30 16-07-42.png

uartconsole_fig02.webp

Okay...I tried compiling rkdevelopkit, kept getting errors and I feel like I'm missing something, but what?

Attached to this post is the error I keep getting at the moment.

rkdevtool-error.txt

21 minutes ago, r_chase said:

Okay...I tried compiling rkdevelopkit, kept getting errors and I feel like I'm missing something, but what?

Attached to this post is the error I keep getting at the moment.

rkdevtool-error.txt 1.58 kB · 1 download

I think I actually ran into this problem too when I attempted to compile, forgot about that. This is a garbage fix but it worked for me? Open the Makefile (Should be located at /home/cheez26/rkdeveloptool/Makefile) in the editor of your choosing. Search for any occurrences of "-Werror" and remove them.

For example, this...

AM_CPPFLAGS = -Wall -Werror -Wextra -Wreturn-type -fno-strict-aliasing -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILE $(LIBUSB1_CFLAGS)

Becomes this:

AM_CPPFLAGS = -Wall -Wextra -Wreturn-type -fno-strict-aliasing -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILE $(LIBUSB1_CFLAGS)

After that, try running make again.

31 minutes ago, 4096kb said:

I think I actually ran into this problem too when I attempted to compile, forgot about that. This is a garbage fix but it worked for me? Open the Makefile (Should be located at /home/cheez26/rkdeveloptool/Makefile) in the editor of your choosing. Search for any occurrences of "-Werror" and remove them.

For example, this...

AM_CPPFLAGS = -Wall -Werror -Wextra -Wreturn-type -fno-strict-aliasing -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILE $(LIBUSB1_CFLAGS)

Becomes this:

AM_CPPFLAGS = -Wall -Wextra -Wreturn-type -fno-strict-aliasing -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILE $(LIBUSB1_CFLAGS)

After that, try running make again.

Alright. It worked. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on how one would install additional drivers on the GSP.  I have one of those OTG USB Hub/Ethernet dongles.  The GSP recognizes the device.  The hub works and it can see the Realtek ethernet device, but I don't think the drivers are install.  I've been playing with the runme script to list devices and try to turn on eth0 through IP and IFCONFIG with no luck.  Only network that shows up the internal "lo".

Would be nice to connect to a network to pull cores and maybe update Retroarch if the firmware that @Brad_from_the_80s is customizing allows us to move the runtime to the sdcard.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 42bs said:

https://shop.3mdeb.com/shop/open-source-hardware/sdwire/

Share SD card between GSP and Linux PC.

Wouldn't this require at least standard interactive terminal access to the GSP with a keyboard?  Currently thinking the equivalent of mapping a drive from my PC to the card in the GSP.  I don't have a separate true Linux setup, mostly testing related commands under Windows Subsystem for Linux.

13 minutes ago, big_guitar said:

Wouldn't this require at least standard interactive terminal access to the GSP with a keyboard?  Currently thinking the equivalent of mapping a drive from my PC to the card in the GSP.  I don't have a separate true Linux setup, mostly testing related commands under Windows Subsystem for Linux.

On the target you need no special things to do. It is meant for embedded devices w/o keyboard. I am also running WSL2, and on this I could not get it to work because I cannot map the "unknown" device to WSL to run the SDwire tools :(

This is an updated runme.sh that fixes the paddle detection failure for the homebrew 2600 game Bell Hopper when the game rom is located in the "/Games/Atari 2600 Paddle" directory.  As with all 2600 roms, it should be renamed so that the file extension is ".a26" rather than ".bin" in order to work with the GsP.  The 'high' paddle sensitivity setting is recommended for this game.

Paddles are forced enabled for all games placed in the "Atari 2600 Paddle" directory, where auto-detection was the previous default.

Button mapping is fixed for normal TurboGrafx games, and improved for SNES games when used with the GsP controller.

5200 games use the newer(of the two included with the GsP) 5200 RetroArch core.

These fixes require my firmware patch to be installed first. 

Then unzip runme-paddles-fix.zip to your SD card.

runme-paddles-fix.zip

• Like 1

Hi,

first post on here, this is a great forum with lots going on.

Thanks for all the tips on GameStation Pro, it convinced me to get one.

I tried .D64 and .PRG files in a folder called Pet on the SD card and these are not showing up as able to launch.

Are there any file types associated with this emulator?

Thanks 

29 minutes ago, Vic20Ian said:

Hi,

I tried .D64 and .PRG files in a folder called Pet on the SD card and these are not showing up as able to launch.

Thanks 

Are you using @fluxit's patched firmware?  That is currently the only way to run cores not currently built into the GSP.

25 minutes ago, GB_Baker said:

Are you using @fluxit's patched firmware?  That is currently the only way to run cores not currently built into the GSP.

I am not using Fluxit's patched firmware yet.

Vice_xpet is built in.

I have had a look through the firmware this evening and it seems that there may be no cfg file for Vice.

Firmware.img\3.rootfs.img\usr\lib\libretro\ contains vice_xpet_libretro.so

but Firmware.img\3.rootfs.img\usr\lib\libretro\retroarch\ does not seem to have a Vice.cfg but the other emulators do.

Is there a way to replicate the current firmware to the SD in full and experiment with that using Fluxit's modified firmware?

1 hour ago, GB_Baker said:

I guess that @Vic20Ian is trying to run Pet software.  As I recall, /usr/bin/game doesn't recognize those extensions, though the xpet core is actually included with the GsP.  If the xpet core works, you would currently still have to explicitly load your files using runme.sh, or enable loading them through the RetroArch menu.  And yes, that does require a modified firmware.

Edited by fluxit
beaten to the punch

48 minutes ago, Vic20Ian said:

I am not using Fluxit's patched firmware yet.

Vice_xpet is built in.

I have had a look through the firmware this evening and it seems that there may be no cfg file for Vice.

Firmware.img\3.rootfs.img\usr\lib\libretro\ contains vice_xpet_libretro.so

but Firmware.img\3.rootfs.img\usr\lib\libretro\retroarch\ does not seem to have a Vice.cfg but the other emulators do.

Is there a way to replicate the current firmware to the SD in full and experiment with that using Fluxit's modified firmware?

My CFW nearing imminent release should make dumping and experimenting with all the retroarch stuff pretty easy.  All the game launching is done by a script which will now be on the SD card also.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Vic20Ian said:

Hi,

Thanks 

I have vice_x64_libretro.so running from my SDCARD, loading PRG file, but the runme script is doing some work to translate the selected file (not PRG) into the file with the PRG extension, and passing those values to Reotroarch. 

It works well! 

• Like 1

Has anyone else looked into the SD Card update feature? I ended up opening /usr/bin/game from 1.30 in a hex editor and found that if update.img exists on the root of the SD card that it'll attempt to do a firmware update. The current firmware from MyArcade doesn't work, it fails immediately stating "Upgrade failed! Please restart and upgrade again.". I did a bit more digging and it looks like /usr/bin/game calls /usr/bin/updateEngine to do the update. The following is logged to the shell during the update process when attempting to load 1.30:

LOG_INFO :*** update_engine: Version V1.0.1 ***.

LOG_INFO :start RK_ota_url.

LOG_INFO :save image to /tmp/update.img.

LOG_INFO :need update uboot.

LOG_INFO :Current device is not MTD
LOG_INFO :Current Mode is recovery.

LOG_INFO :need update trust.

LOG_INFO :need update boot.

LOG_INFO :need update recovery.

LOG_INFO :need update rootfs.

LOG_INFO :need update oem.

LOG_INFO :start RK_ota_start.

LOG_INFO :rk m_status = 1.

LOG_INFO :where the file is local.

LOG_DEBUG :uiTag = 0.

LOG_DEBUG :usSize = 0.

LOG_DEBUG :dwVersion = 0.

LOG_DEBUG :btMajor = 0, btMinor = 0, usSmall = 00.

LOG_DEBUG :dwBootOffset = 0.

LOG_DEBUG :dwBootSize = 0.

LOG_DEBUG :dwFWOffset = 0.

LOG_DEBUG :dwFWSize = 0.

LOG_ERROR : md5 : not support sign image.

LOG_ERROR : tag: 0

LOG_ERROR : Invalid image

LOG_ERROR : analyticImage error.

LOG_ERROR : RK_ota_set_partition failed.

LOG_INFO :rk m_status = 2.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the Gamestation Pro is currently 22% off at Amazon. I was on the fence, but for $77.69, I couldn't pass it up and I ordered one. Anyone else on the fence might want to think about nabbing one at the reduced price. With Amazon, you never know when things will go back up.

19 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the Gamestation Pro is currently 22% off at Amazon. I was on the fence, but for $77.69, I couldn't pass it up and I ordered one. Anyone else on the fence might want to think about nabbing one at the reduced price. With Amazon, you never know when things will go back up.

Even better, I see at Costco online, only $49.97, not sure if they still have them at my local Costco, but if you don't have a membership, you could have a friend get one for you... 

Was thinking, well perhaps a second one in case I brick the first? 🤔

Edited by big_guitar

[SHADERS]

Not long ago I was able to get some shader settings applied to a game on GSP to see if it could look better, eventually got some RA shader files from my Windows system to work on the GSP, however, it was troublesome to handle and even more troublesome to disable.  Newer shader settings I configured seemed to just pile on top of previous settings.  Then, even after pointing to an empty shader directory in the config, and later deleting all my shader files from the SD, it seemed that some "shader cache" was still effective, and I couldn't find a way to disable it.  I ended up needing to delete the source folder of the rom in addition to other crap to finally get the shading on the game to stop.  So I don't think I'll be messing with any shader settings on the GSP again.  😜  I suppose if you had to use shader settings, best to perfect it on a home system first so you'll never need to mess with it after first application.

Edited by big_guitar

5 minutes ago, big_guitar said:

[SHADERS]

Not long ago I was able to get some shader settings applied to a game on GSP to see if it could look better, eventually got some RA shader files from my Windows system to work on the GSP, however, it was troublesome to handle and even more troublesome to disable.  Newer shader settings I configured seemed to just pile on top of previous settings.  Then, even after pointing to an empty shader directory in the config, and later deleting all my shader files from the SD, it seemed that some "shader cache" was still effective, and I couldn't find a way to disable it.  I ended up needing to delete the source folder of the rom in addition to other crap to finally get the shading on the game to stop.  So I don't think I'll be messing with any shader settings on the GSP again.  😜  I suppose if you had to use shader settings, best to perfect it on a home system first so you'll never need to mess with it after first application.

RetroArch creates a /retroarch directory on /userdata, the root of the ext2 partition.  It may have duplicated your shaders in there?

16 minutes ago, fluxit said:

RetroArch creates a /retroarch directory on /userdata, the root of the ext2 partition.  It may have duplicated your shaders in there?

Yeah I thought perhaps it could have placed something on that data partition.

I think I ran a job to try to dump all the files from the system to a txt log to see what there was so I could run a job to delete perhaps, but nothing stood out.

I see I saved that file, but no 'retroarch' subfolder reported anywhere... 

The runme job included  "find /userdata | xargs ls -l" 

Edited by big_guitar

1 minute ago, big_guitar said:

Yeah I thought perhaps it could have placed something on that data partition.

I think I ran a job to try to dump all the files from the system to a txt log to see what there was so I could run a job to delete perhaps, but nothing stood out.

I see I saved that file, but no 'retroarch' subfolder reported anywhere... 

The runme job included  "find /userdata | xargs ls -l" 

It may be that it only occurs when you execute RetroArch with no -L, -C parameters.

54 minutes ago, big_guitar said:

Even better, I see at Costco online, only $49.97, not sure if they still have them at my local Costco, but if you don't have a membership, you could have a friend get one for you... 

Was thinking, well perhaps a second one in case I brick the first? 🤔

I got a second one from Ebay for $60 (open box) several available, looks like new. So I'll not use the first to keep it like new.

REMEMBER to keep the box this time  !!!! I don't recall what I did with my 5200 box back in the '80s ...... at least I have the console yet (still packed away from when I moved in 2001).

Edited by Boots01
  • Like 1