IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

New to the GSP, but not new to Atari by any means. 

I just got my GSP, and tried to do the upgrade. I get Found one MASKROM, but when I run it, it fails saying xxxxx Loader_v1.. is not entered, stop running!

So I noticed it was mapping to Y, so I fixed the path, still doesn't work.

I don't know if it is because I also have the driver and the RKDevTool on the same PC for my 2600+, but this is pretty frustrating. It can't be this hard?

3 hours ago, TornadoTJ said:

New to the GSP, but not new to Atari by any means. 

I just got my GSP, and tried to do the upgrade. I get Found one MASKROM, but when I run it, it fails saying xxxxx Loader_v1.. is not entered, stop running!

So I noticed it was mapping to Y, so I fixed the path, still doesn't work.

I don't know if it is because I also have the driver and the RKDevTool on the same PC for my 2600+, but this is pretty frustrating. It can't be this hard?

Have you directly edited the text in the "Path" column or have you selected the file with the file picker dialogue by double clicking the boxes in the "..." column? You'll want to do the latter if that's not what you're doing.

Are you reusing the same copy of RKDevTool from the 2600+? The same Loader.bin? You'll want to use only the tools and Loader.bin from the 1.30 firmware zip.

When you say "still doesn't work", does that mean you're running into the same error where the Loader isn't entered?

May be worthwhile to double over the PDF at the bottom of https://www.myarcadegaming.com/pages/atari-gamestation-firmware-upgrade-to-v-1-3-only if you're still having troubles

...and it really shouldn't be this cryptic. Really strikes me as strange that they shipped a development tool for the firmware upgrade procedure.

maskromofficial_fig01.png

Edited by 4096kb
were -> where

The update.img procedure will be a lot simpler if they ever ship firmware that uses it.

1. Ensure that your MicroSD card is FAT32 formatted.
  2. Copy the firmware file to the root directory, i.e. not in any folders on the SD card, and ensure that it is named update.img.
  3. Start the console with the SD card removed. Wait for the console to reach the home screen.
  4. Insert the SD card. When prompted, answer that you would like to upgrade the firmware.
  5. Wait for the firmware to install.
  6. Remove the SD card and then reboot when prompted.

Unfortunately, firmware still has to be flashed via the usual method until they release one that's formatted properly for this procedure.

On 2/4/2024 at 8:08 AM, Drewcifer said:

I bought 3 GSPs used, two of which wouldn't boot.  I was able to update the firmware on the working GSP without issue using the instructions/software from MyArcade.  Using the same software/cables/etc., I am able to get one of the bricked GSPs to MASKROM (with your instruction), but receive the "Download Boot Fail" error. The other bricked GSP won't even go into MASKROM mode.

At one point it could be hardware failure. Not much that can be done in a situation like that. All I know is that shorting CLK to ground has been finicky in my experience (as evidenced by my previous confusion in this thread regarding LOADER mode 🙄) and I've often had to try multiple times. Usually able to get it to go within 5 or so tries though.

14 hours ago, 4096kb said:

Have you directly edited the text in the "Path" column or have you selected the file with the file picker dialogue by double clicking the boxes in the "..." column? You'll want to do the latter if that's not what you're doing.

Are you reusing the same copy of RKDevTool from the 2600+? The same Loader.bin? You'll want to use only the tools and Loader.bin from the 1.30 firmware zip.

When you say "still doesn't work", does that mean you're running into the same error where the Loader isn't entered?

May be worthwhile to double over the PDF at the bottom of https://www.myarcadegaming.com/pages/atari-gamestation-firmware-upgrade-to-v-1-3-only if you're still having troubles

...and it really shouldn't be this cryptic. Really strikes me as strange that they shipped a development tool for the firmware upgrade procedure.

Thank you so much, I didn't have to jump through hoops like this on the 2600+. 

Using the "..." column was the solution.

I was using the RKDevTool and the Loader for the GSP, not the 2600+

• Like 1

I have my cross-compiling environment set up to compile the latest retroarch 1.17.0 for armhf to run from SD on the GSP.  Once compiled I just add /tmp to PATH and symlink my retroarch on SD to tmp using runme.sh with the patched firmware.  Still having issues getting the video configured with the build.  Getting OpenGL errors.  Seems to be some specific hoops to get Mali configured.  I am also trying to build with SDL2 support enabled.  Wondering if @4096kb has any tips. Your blog was super useful for getting the UART header debug console setup. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GB_Baker said:

I have my cross-compiling environment set up to compile the latest retroarch 1.17.0 for armhf to run from SD on the GSP.  Once compiled I just add /tmp to PATH and symlink my retroarch on SD to tmp using runme.sh with the patched firmware.  Still having issues getting the video configured with the build.  Getting OpenGL errors.  Seems to be some specific hoops to get Mali configured.  I am also trying to build with SDL2 support enabled.  Wondering if @4096kb has any tips. Your blog was super useful for getting the UART header debug console setup. 

Unfortunately, I don't have much info on this other than that the SoC datasheet explicitly mentions support for OpenGL ES1.1 and OpenGL ES2.0. Can't say for sure if other versions of OpenGL would work.

Relatively certain I figured out the SD card update procedure. In essence, the format used, rather than being a complete image of the internal storage, is a collection of partitions with details stored on where to write them. Loader.bin becomes obsolete as it gets integrated into the firmware file, thus, only one file needs to be shipped. I've got all my info posted here: https://4096kb.gay/wiki/myarcade/gsp/updateimg.

Here's a teaser trailer of flashing a built image: https://files.catbox.moe/27bw8t.mp4

Here's the update file used in the trailer: https://files.catbox.moe/xmsox5.img

Do note how the update file is only 66.7MB. With this update method, we don't need to ship all partitions in the image. Since all the games shipped in the GsP are on the data partition, shipping modified versions of the original firmware is risky, legally speaking. This method avoids that by just not including the data partition.

Also, please don't use this abomination of a firmware. It's a specimen. For science.

• Like 3

... is it just me, or are the dial/paddle controls sort of horrible?

I was trying out Warlords and Super Breakout, and instead of smoothly moving across the screen, my bat/paddle/shield seems to JUMP from position to position.

Is this a hardware problem, inherent to this controller, or a software issue?

1 hour ago, DavidD said:

... is it just me, or are the dial/paddle controls sort of horrible?

I was trying out Warlords and Super Breakout, and instead of smoothly moving across the screen, my bat/paddle/shield seems to JUMP from position to position.

Is this a hardware problem, inherent to this controller, or a software issue?

I don't see that here.  Is your display in "game mode?"  Are you using your controllers wired, or  wirelessly?  Some people have reported lag when wireless.  Also, but probably unrelated- you can adjust paddle sensitivity using the controller's "Menu" button.

Edited by fluxit

11 hours ago, 4096kb said:

Relatively certain I figured out the SD card update procedure. In essence, the format used, rather than being a complete image of the internal storage, is a collection of partitions with details stored on where to write them. Loader.bin becomes obsolete as it gets integrated into the firmware file, thus, only one file needs to be shipped. I've got all my info posted here: https://4096kb.gay/wiki/myarcade/gsp/updateimg.

Here's a teaser trailer of flashing a built image: https://files.catbox.moe/27bw8t.mp4

Here's the update file used in the trailer: https://files.catbox.moe/xmsox5.img

Do note how the update file is only 66.7MB. With this update method, we don't need to ship all partitions in the image. Since all the games shipped in the GsP are on the data partition, shipping modified versions of the original firmware is risky, legally speaking. This method avoids that by just not including the data partition.

Also, please don't use this abomination of a firmware. It's a specimen. For science.

Yes, this is essentially the method used for the Atari Flashbacks, and I have modified several of them.  Great write-up!  Given enough time to fiddle with it I could probably build this type of image. 

For my MaskROM CFW to work I needed to modify /data however, as I am moving games.db there.  Might be some alternatives but this seemed simplest thing to do.  Anyway I believe it is finished/stable and hoping to release in next couple of days.  @Vic20Ian has been helping me test and write up the details.

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fluxit said:

I don't see that here.  Is your display in "game mode?"  Are you using your controllers wired, or  wirelessly?  Some people have reported lag when wireless.  Also, but probably unrelated- you can adjust paddle sensitivity using the controller's "Menu" button.

I was using them in wireless mode -- I'll try it later using wired and checking the sensitivity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_guitar said:

Nice! Do you happen to see 'Start Remote RetroPad' in that build under "Load Core" ?  I haven't found evidence of that being available in a Linux build of RA... 

Yes indeed.  I was able to configure my 8bitdo Pro 2 in Xbox mode perfectly. IMG_20240209_211648.thumb.jpg.27e8feb16e1f34cfe71484156906082a.jpg

Still testing cross-compiling parameters.  Mame2003 stuff is slower.  Still working to get the Mali-400 cflag working in the configure for make. Might also be the cores I'm using.  I've been running the nightly armhf. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samwars95 said:

Niceee, do you think we could be able to install new cores for the 2600 and 7800 so we could play newer releases ?

He would have to figure out how to compile stella current to get 2600 stuff.   Prosystem emu is pretty out of date.  You're almost better doing MAME2015 or MAME2016 for Atari 7800 stuff.  That is the way I have it set up on my xbox One and Firestick.

8 hours ago, GB_Baker said:

Yes indeed.  I was able to configure my 8bitdo Pro 2 in Xbox mode perfectly. 

Very cool thanks for verifying! I had been trying to get the bastardized myarcade version of RA to show it to no avail.

You might want to try the newer RA core builds here

https://zoltanvb.github.io/armv7-hf-neon/

[Edit]

Although on the Mame 2003 stuff, I found using the existing core already on the GSP a bit easier to work with. The Mame 2003-plus runs well (on MyArc RA) but the controller config was more problematic to deal with, at least up to this point in my testing.

Edited by big_guitar

Another review of the internal database of games, this time focusing on just the hard column and the Megadrive.

If we can figure this out then adding other games in new firmware will be easier.

The Hard column contains 0, 1, 2, 3 for Megadrive so I thought it might be easier to compare these games.

Most Megadrive games seem to be 3 button A,B,C games.

Any idea why the hardware or control schemes might be different in this list or What else Hard could be used for?

0 seems to be all the single fire button games on Atari 2600 but why use it for Beastball?

5 is for use of the paddle with 2600 and Arcade.

What do 1,2,3 do ?

Some theories to test:

1. 0 means fire button A is the main control

2. 1,2,3

3. Does anyone have any theories they would like me to test

e.g. Change Beast Ball from 0 to different values in Hard column and see if something changes or breaks.

gameid game suffix release_date players ko_id video_id class_type game_type hard save timer    
3 Beast Ball .bin 0 2 3 3 12 2 0 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
4 Brave Battle Saga .bin 0 1 4 4 12 2 1 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
17 Jim Power .bin 0 1 18 18 12 2 1 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
23 Mega 3D Noah's Ark .bin 0 1 24 24 12 2 1 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
35 Radical Rex .bin 0 2 36 36 12 2 1 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
43 Switchblade .bin 0 1 44 44 12 2 1 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
49 The Humans .bin 0 1 50 50 12 2 1 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
55 Tinhead .bin 0 1 55 55 12 2 1 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
62 Zany Golf .bin 0 2 63 63 12 2 1 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
47 The Gadget Twins .bin 0 2 48 48 12 2 2 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
51 The Immortal .bin 0 1 51 51 12 2 2 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
59 Water Margin .bin 0 2 59 59 12 2 2 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
61 World Trophy Soccer .bin 0 2 61 61 12 2 2 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit
44 Sword of Sodan .bin 0 1 45 45 12 2 3 1 /data/Games/Bonus_Games/16-Bit

Time to kick the tires.  Attached is my build of RetroArch 1.17.0 that I have running on my GSP from the SDCARD with @fluxit's patched firmware.  I have included the following:

- retroarch binary

- example retroarch.cfg

- copy of my configured 8Bitdo Pro2 in xbox mode

- example runme.sh

You will have to go to http://buildbot.libretro.com to get your own assets and cores.  I compiled with all gui options so you can run rgui, ozone, xmb...etc.   I've been running ozone and have been very happy with it.

Let me know if I missed any major features or if stuff is broken.

retroarch_1.17.0_GSP.7z

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vic20Ian said:

Some theories to test:

1. 0 means fire button A is the main control

2. 1,2,3

3. Does anyone have any theories they would like me to test

e.g. Change Beast Ball from 0 to different values in Hard column and see if something changes or breaks.

Custom firmware experiment using Brad_from_the_80's install.

I played around with TOP RACER 2 which has Hard set to 4.

I changed it to varous values including 5 and nothing changes with the controls or gameplay. It remains A Brake, B, Accelerate, C Nitrous.

Prhaps Hard determines if the game goes on the Paddles menu and the launch for those games.

I can't see it doing much else at the moment.

Edited by Vic20Ian

14 hours ago, GB_Baker said:

Maybe I'll compile Stella 6.7.1 next.  Would that be useful? 

That would be great.  Do you suppose that it can perform as well or better than the current community build does on the Retron 77 without much fuss?

16 hours ago, GB_Baker said:

Time to kick the tires.  Attached is my build of RetroArch 1.17.0 that I have running on my GSP from the SDCARD with @fluxit's patched firmware.  I have included the following:

- retroarch binary

- example retroarch.cfg

- copy of my configured 8Bitdo Pro2 in xbox mode

- example runme.sh

You will have to go to http://buildbot.libretro.com to get your own assets and cores.  I compiled with all gui options so you can run rgui, ozone, xmb...etc.   I've been running ozone and have been very happy with it.

Let me know if I missed any major features or if stuff is broken.

retroarch_1.17.0_GSP.7z 2.94 MB · 8 downloads

Are the assets required?  I have your binary and cfgs in /sdcard/retroarch, and your runme.sh in /sdcard/agsp.  Cores I've added are in /sdcard/retroarch/cores.

My 'Xbox 360 pad' works great in the menu.  I can "Load a core," and the selected core's info is displayed in the lower left as expected.  When I then "Load content," I'm able to navigate to my Games directory and select a rom.

Retroarch comes back with "No cores available."  I see the same behavior, regardless of the selected core. 

These are cores and roms that I've previously tested successfully with the GsP's included RetroArch.

My "Romoral K808" macro keypad with scrollwheel also works great in the menu, including using the "Enter" key to select options.

Edited by fluxit
typo