IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

I'm just about to start setting up my GSP in a few days. I'll just be using the official 1.30 update, and dropping roms in individual system folders.

For MAME, is there a consensus for which MAME version works best out of these 3 (all from Archive.org)?:

- MAME0.37b5_MAME2000_Reference_Set_Update_2_ROMs_Samples

- MAME0.139RomCollectionByGhostware

- MAME2003_Reference_Set_MAME0.78_ROMs_CHDs_Samples

Which is the best in terms of number of working games?

And is there any artwork folder out there for any of those 3? Does the GSP even use the Artwork folder?

1 hour ago, sapek said:

hello everyone, gamestation pro can handle new .a78 homebrew games like popeye etc.??

Most *.a78 files run well.  I've seen a few homebrews with glitchy graphics but it's a minority.  I haven't tried the Popeye.a78 demo.  

13 hours ago, fiudr said:

I'm just about to start setting up my GSP in a few days. I'll just be using the official 1.30 update, and dropping roms in individual system folders.

For MAME, is there a consensus for which MAME version works best out of these 3 (all from Archive.org)?:

I am using this for ROMs:   https://archive.org/details/MAME2003_Reference_Set_MAME0.78_ROMs_CHDs_Samples

I am using this for artwork:  https://mrdo.mameworld.info/old_artwork.php

They seem to work for the most part.

1 hour ago, LS650 said:

I haven't tried the Popeye.a78 demo.  

LS650 thanks for the answer, maybe You could have a moment to check... I would be very grateful

other than the 7800 games link and the 5200 games link for rom that are on here multiple times are they any other one out there.  the seem to just scratch the surface of game that were available for both of those systems.  I finally got them to work I have a nice collection of 5200 and 7800 games in mt SD card really enjoy playing them!  I wish they would have some kind of a game save fix for the SD games maybe the next firmware update or is that never going to happen?  I updated mine to the 1.3 I think that was listed in this thread. 

6 hours ago, sapek said:

LS650 thanks for the answer, maybe You could have a moment to check... I would be very grateful

The 7800 demo loads but the graphics are messed up, and it makes the game not really playable.  Check out Brutus in the 1st pic below.

I then tried the 2600 version (plays fine), the 5200 version (also plays OK), and the arcade machine version (also plays well).

It should be obvious from the pics which photo is which version...

P_7800.jpg

P_5200a.jpg

P_2600.jpg

P_arcade.jpg

3 hours ago, LS650 said:

The 7800 demo loads but the graphics are messed up, and it makes the game not really playable.  Check out Brutus in the 1st pic below.

Thank You very much !!!!

Posted (edited)

The emulator used by the GSP is the retroarch version of an old version of the Prosystem emu.

It does not handle the newer homebrews well at all.  When it comes to retroarch I always found MAME 2016 to be the best for A7800 homebrew.   I don't think that version of MAME comes with the GSP.

Edited by Shannon

4 hours ago, Shannon said:

The emulator used by the GSP is the retroarch version of an old version of the Prosystem emu.

It does not handle the newer homebrews well at all.  When it comes to retroarch I always found MAME 2016 to be the best for A7800 homebrew.   I don't think that version of MAME comes with the GSP.

it's true, MAME and the computer works great with popeye, I was wondering if I can use MAME to emulate an Atari 7800 on retropie?? 

9 hours ago, sapek said:

it's true, MAME and the computer works great with popeye, I was wondering if I can use MAME to emulate an Atari 7800 on retropie?? 

Just don't use the current mame.. I think they removed the header detection code and rely on the .XML file.  Which is a whole 'nother headache to deal with.  🤣

• Like 1

I flashed my new Gamestation Pro to the 1.30 successfully, and copied a bunch of roms into some folders, and gave the system a spin. I have it connected to my monitor.

Unfortunately I'm having some issues.

I tried plugging in my 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Controller with a USB-C data/power cable. That controller has a switch on the back for either x-input or direct-input. Nothing mapped out in the x-input mode which is surprising. The buttons do nothing in x-input mode. That controller works great on my PC in x-input mode with just about everything I play on my PC, by default. I then switched it to direct-input and some buttons were randomly mapped, but they are all wonky in what buttons do what. As expected, I can't scroll through lists of games with the gamepad, so I need to do that with the joystick. Then I can select the game and start playing with the gamepad.

Unfortunately, twice while I was experimenting in x-input mode, a particular button (the lighted ring button) instantly crashed the player. The Gamestation stayed on but the monitor suddenly turned off and said no signal, and went into standby. Turning the Gamestation off and back on started normally again. But the same button did it again. Why would this happen? Could this have damaged the system?

After that I noticed the blue background when you're scrolling the list of added roms has a noticeable screen flicker. My monitor says it's receiving a 720p image and was running at 60Hz. I tried adjusting disabling adaptive sync and changing the response time on my monitor and it didn't help. I'm not sure if this flickering only started happening after the system crashed, or if it was doing that even before that first happened. So I wonder now if the crash screwed something up, or if it had the flicker all along and I didn't notice it right away. Haven't looked enough into it yet to see if that flicker is present in games or just the roms list screen yet.

Does anybody else notice a fast flickering of that blue background? Does anybody else use this on a modern monitor? Is there a way I can eliminate it? My monitor is the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD 1440p monitor (a fairly recent model).

Also very disappointed that you can't enable scan lines when playing roms. This system needs to enable two things pronto: enabling scan lines in added roms, and enabling a mapping feature for 3rd party controllers. That's critical.

On 5/15/2024 at 3:16 PM, LS650 said:

I am using this for ROMs:   https://archive.org/details/MAME2003_Reference_Set_MAME0.78_ROMs_CHDs_Samples

Thank you. I had a feeling the 2003 set was the one to use with the included samples.

I read that some suggest using the 2010 MAME set (0.139), but the set on Archive.org doesn't include samples, so I'm not sure what sample set I would use.

Been trying out the Gamestation a bit more and again it crashed, this time while the 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Controller was set to direct input mode, and this time, it crashed when using the Gamestation joystick. I think I hit the home and start buttons simultaneously and then the system just crashed. Do others have this issue with it crashing?

A few times I noticed a rom would start but the Gamestation's menu music was still playing at the same time the game sounds were playing too. Have others noticed this happening?

I also noticed when playing the Atari 2600 Breakout rom (the one I added, not built-in), the ball moves poorly. It stutters and the movement is very uneven. Playing the same game on the Retron77 with the latest community build, the ball is extremely smooth with no stuttering or lurching ahead.

It makes me wonder how many other games the Gamestation doesn't emulate well? If it can't even play 2600 Breakout smoothly, how do I know how well it's emulating ohter roms/systems? Does the ball in Breakout stutter for others in here on the Gamestation?

3 hours ago, fiudr said:

It makes me wonder how many other games the Gamestation doesn't emulate well? If it can't even play 2600 Breakout smoothly, how do I know how well it's emulating ohter roms/systems? Does the ball in Breakout stutter for others in here on the Gamestation?

I gave up on trying to get other controllers working with the GSP.  I found that wireless the stock controllers have a bit of lag, so I use them with a USB-C cable.  Although these controllers look rather goofy, they do work reasonably well.  

As for the quality of emulation, I've tried quite a number of 2600, 5200, 7800, and arcade ROMs.  The emulation is generally pretty decent.  I sometimes find a ROM that runs well with an emulator on my PC, yet glitches with the GSP - especially 7800 homebrews.

I mean, it is what it is: a cheap emulation box you can connect to your large screen TV with HDMI.  It runs about 95+ % of games well.  I'm hoping that with another firmware update they'll improve the ability to use other controllers, but for less than a hundred bucks I don't expect it to be perfect.

• Like 1

Even using the included joystick/paddle, the ball in Breakout stutters very unevenly and isn't nearly as smooth as it is in the Retron community build. That makes me wonder how accurate the emulation is overall. The Retron77 was a cheap unit too but with the community firmware it's a fantastic Atari 2600 device.

The crashing definitely has me worried. Oddly, there's no screen flicker today with the blue roms list background like there was yesterday. Not sure what that was all about.

This came from a 3rd party seller on Amazon and it was clearly re-sealed, though everything appeared new inside. The stickers were still over the battery compartments of the controllers even, and included the batteries.

6 hours ago, fiudr said:

Even using the included joystick/paddle, the ball in Breakout stutters very unevenly and isn't nearly as smooth as it is in the Retron community build. That makes me wonder how accurate the emulation is overall. The Retron77 was a cheap unit too but with the community firmware it's a fantastic Atari 2600 device.

The crashing definitely has me worried. Oddly, there's no screen flicker today with the blue roms list background like there was yesterday. Not sure what that was all about.

This came from a 3rd party seller on Amazon and it was clearly re-sealed, though everything appeared new inside. The stickers were still over the battery compartments of the controllers even, and included the batteries.

Make sure the USB power adapter is 2 amps.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I found the original Gamestation Pro, any one here own one, it not on My Arcade's website, the Atari version must of replaced it...?

How many Atari games does the AGSP have, the bonus games probably came from this, I do not see the point of the bonus games really because that are not Atari games, it just to make it look like it has 200 Atari games on it when it don't, same idea as on the AtGames Mega Drive with SD Card 2018(the one that looked a bit like a Mega Drive but smaller), that had 69 games but only 20 games were Mega Drive games so 49 games were bonus games and had no connection to Sega.

AtGames made 3 MD models, I have all of them 2016,2017 and 2018/19 models, the first model looks like the AtGames Legend Flashback console and was composite(2016).

Just noticed the Gamestation Pro is composite not HDMI*, its a old console then, maybe made in 2015/16 then, by 2017 all newer consoles started to use HDMI by that time.

(*see the composite RCA Cable on its box and its sound is mono only, only has one RCA plug for sound, maybe why AGSP sound was mono originally, AGSP came from this machine)
90919.jpg-1200ftw?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3

Edited by Spanner

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Atari8264 said:

Make sure the USB power adapter is 2 amps.

It is. It's plugged into a 5v, 2.1amp AC plug.

It only crashes when I push certain button combos or a certain button on the 8bitdo.

Edited by fiudr

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2024 at 7:48 PM, tcpuccio1 said:

other than the 7800 games link and the 5200 games link for rom that are on here multiple times are they any other one out there.  the seem to just scratch the surface of game that were available for both of those systems.  I finally got them to work I have a nice collection of 5200 and 7800 games in mt SD card really enjoy playing them!  I wish they would have some kind of a game save fix for the SD games maybe the next firmware update or is that never going to happen?  I updated mine to the 1.3 I think that was listed in this thread. 

How do you play most 5200 games since they use analog control and numpads ?

On 5/15/2024 at 3:16 PM, LS650 said:

Are you able to play the homebrew 1942 ?

all of the roms from that set posted on this thread seem to work fine I was just looking for more games actually the Atari 400 games are near and dear to me I never had a 7800 or 5200 just several 8 bit computers 400,800xl,130XE which I still have and works! I know the 7800 and 5200 games pretty much look and play the same but the amount of games is crazy that I had for the 400 system not home brew stuff either.

5 hours ago, samwars95 said:

How do you play most 5200 games since they use analog control and numpads ?

The GSP does a decent job of converting digital inputs into analog readings, so some 5200 games play decently but others do not.  As you might imagine, games that require the numeric keypad are not really playable.

Are you able to play the homebrew 1942 ?

I haven't tried that game.  Most, but not all, of the games in that MAME ROMset I mentioned (that I have tried) do work.