IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

OK, it's been some time since I've been on here but I might have found another controler that works with the GSP (Mostly... No home button that I can see working but it does work in the menus unlike my PS Classic controllers.) Not sure if it's been added to the list because I have no clue what it is. I pulled it out of a $1 bin. For MAME Minus adds coins, Plus Starts the game, the A button is the same as the GSP but the GSP B button is mapped to Y and the GSP C button is mapped to B. Not sure how the rest are mapped out yet compared to other stuff but they seem to be mapable up to 6 like the PS Classic. (I did some custom .cfgs a while back but then I started messing with dual stick configurations and didn't map them back. Stargate seemed to have all the functions so it should be good.) The buttons feel not that great but the stick seems pretty sweet.  So, anybody have an idea what stick this is? 

17172844476361649734408516590030.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 2:23 AM, Shannon said:

When it comes to retroarch I always found MAME 2016 to be the best for A7800 homebrew.   I don't think that version of MAME comes with the GSP.

I think the Jungle2016 library on GSP is essentially some RA core flavor of Mame 2016. 

That said, I have not tested it much outside of the few built-in games configured by default to use it.

I do recall that it takes longer to load than the default Jungle2003 Mame core on the GSP.

Edited by big_guitar

8 hours ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Wired Up Retro just did a bunch of controller hookups.

That adapter that supports some bluetooth that he used with the funky ps3 controller ain't cheap, but always interesting to see wireless setups working.

So... I got a unit from Kohl's and returned my Costco one...

It appears the Costo packaging is unique.  The Costco one comes with batteries, whereas the Kohls (general market?) one doesn't include batteries.

The game list on the boxes is slightly different, too.  I should have taken a picture.

On 12/19/2023 at 6:41 PM, fluxit said:

For a bit of (slight)weirdness, try creating a file named "GBX107_test.txt" , and place it in a directory named "game" on the SD card root.  This causes "game-test" to run at startup, instead of "game." 

Make sure to remove the file afterward.

I must have skimmed over this way back when.  I see this is based on "S49Launcher" under rootfs\etc\init.d   

Do you recall what this app looks like? 

19 hours ago, big_guitar said:

Was this recent? Was the price as low as Costco's reduced price right before they pulled them (seriously cheap like 29.99)?

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/367240-myarcade-gamestation-pro-3750-at-kohls-in-store-online/#comment-5475791

I never really used my $50 one from Costco from a few months back, and Kohls put them up for $37.50 -- I had to go to Costco anyway, so I just returned my $50 unit.  Whee...

The game list is displayed differently on the Kohls one versus the Costco one, and they have different UPC codes.  I should have gotten a picture of the Costco one -- I assume someone else did.  It included 8 batteries, while the Kohls one appears to have no batteries.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, DavidD said:

The game list is displayed differently on the Kohls one versus the Costco one,

I have the Costco one, but I imagine the games and PCB, hardware, firmware would be the same, outside of what you said is different, since they haven't released their next remix version.

I don't see it listed on Kohl's website, of course removed some time back from Costco.

Edited by big_guitar

20 hours ago, big_guitar said:

I must have skimmed over this way back when.  I see this is based on "S49Launcher" under rootfs\etc\init.d   

Do you recall what this app looks like? 

IIRC, it has a basic controller and button tester, and plays a sound file, I think it's a voice sample.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, fluxit said:

IIRC, it has a basic controller and button tester, and plays a sound file, I think it's a voice sample.

That's what my findings were. The voice sample appears to be some left/right channel audio test. There's two ways of booting into it actually, the other way is to hold the home button on startup. This leads to a condensed version. I've got my findings and some screenshots posted here: https://4096kb.gay/posts/myarcadedoom#debugging-menus

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4096kb said:

That's what my findings were.

I've got my findings and some screenshots posted here:

Thanks, I was just looking at some of your gitlab posts earlier today that cover some of that.

I'm not a Linux guy, but if I ever get a better grasp of what know-how may be already assumed in your posts, I may experiment some with the firmware at some point. Not a lot of free time these days though. 😁

14 hours ago, big_guitar said:

I have the Costco one, but I imagine the games and PCB, hardware, firmware would be the same, outside of what you said is different, since they haven't released their next remix version.

I don't see it listed on Kohl's website, of course removed some time back from Costco.

Yeah, I just assumed it's different packaging with the added batteries to make it an "exclusive" SKU... however, I assume there are folks out there who would be interested in knowing there is more than one version of the box.

On 6/8/2024 at 1:11 AM, DavidD said:

So... I got a unit from Kohl's and returned my Costco one...

It appears the Costo packaging is unique.  The Costco one comes with batteries, whereas the Kohls (general market?) one doesn't include batteries.

The game list on the boxes is slightly different, too.  I should have taken a picture.

Does the Kohls one have the space for the batteries in the plastic inner packaging like the Costco one, or is that even different?

I'd seen in a few reviews on Amazon where batteries didn't come with theirs. Mine did, thankfully, though they're cheapos. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Does the Kohls one have the space for the batteries in the plastic inner packaging like the Costco one, or is that even different?

I'd seen in a few reviews on Amazon where batteries didn't come with theirs. Mine did, thankfully, though they're cheapos. 

No space for batteries.

I noticed just now that there was a "Certificate of Authenticity" inside with a unique number?  I assume that's in all the boxes, though.

atari - bottom.png

atari - open.png

atari - boxed.png

ATARI - game list.png

15 hours ago, DavidD said:

No space for batteries.

I noticed just now that there was a "Certificate of Authenticity" inside with a unique number?  I assume that's in all the boxes, though.

Interesting about the batteries. 

Mine's got the certificate too, inside the red box.

I noticed the AGSP Joystick disconnects itself from Linux, do not know what's doing it and when it disconnects stops the directional(Up, Down, Left, Right) working on a another joystick, you have to press its A button to reconnect it so the other joystick works, so have to have the AGSP Joystick connected all the time.

It only disconnects when the AGSP is idol so like about 3 to 5 minutes.

Edited by Spanner

On 3/1/2024 at 7:28 AM, GB_Baker said:

Here is my current build for Retroarch 1.17.0.  It is a bit lighter than my orginal build.  It does include both SDL2 and UDEV.  SDL2 does not work that well for Joystick recognition, but I have figured out how to deconflict the GSP joysticks.  I set input_driver = "sdl2" and input_joypad_driver = "udev".  The GSP joysticks send keyboard directions and that is always seen as player 1 when both are set to udev.  Since I prefer to mostly run from the Retroarch menu, I also kill the gsp /usr/bin/game process in the runme.sh script to save memory.  I think that also helps with button issues.  I did find when I compiled too many unnecessary features there wouldn't be enough memory for some MAME games to run.  Still working on understanding the dial on the gsp controllers.  Also included my gsp and xbox controller config files.

retroarch_1.17.7z 2.49 MB · 17 downloads runme.sh 152 B · 10 downloads

Dose this work with Autoconfig, I ask because PCUAE uses it when it runs Retroarch so has its own autoconfig files, including ones for THEC64 Joystick and THEGamepad...?
Yes it does, just loooked at the cfgs in it and they are autoconfig files, thanks... :) I needed a Retroach for RA Mode in PCUAE that works with the AGSP... :)

Edited by Spanner

On 5/20/2024 at 12:36 PM, fiudr said:

Even using the included joystick/paddle, the ball in Breakout stutters very unevenly and isn't nearly as smooth as it is in the Retron community build. That makes me wonder how accurate the emulation is overall. The Retron77 was a cheap unit too but with the community firmware it's a fantastic Atari 2600 device.

The crashing definitely has me worried. Oddly, there's no screen flicker today with the blue roms list background like there was yesterday. Not sure what that was all about.

This came from a 3rd party seller on Amazon and it was clearly re-sealed, though everything appeared new inside. The stickers were still over the battery compartments of the controllers even, and included the batteries.

The community build on my Retron77 didn't fix my glitchy paddles at all so I'm super jealous. I even got a DapterII and that didn't fix it. So for me paddles on the GSP are workable. 

• 2 weeks later...