IGNORED

TV POWWW! lives again in Brazil

decle

South America is where everything Intellivision goes to die...

...and rise again!  A couple of weeks ago it seems TV POWWW! made an appearance on Brazilian late night TV show "The Noite com Danilo Gentili".  If Google translate is keeping me on the straight and narrow I believe it was part of a special on video games shown on SBT, the channel that used to broadcast TV POWWW! in the 80s:

I'm not certain, but I suspect the version of TV POWWW! being played is my recreation for the 2020 IntyBASIC competition:

If correct, it's pretty surreal.

• Like 10

On 9/21/2023 at 2:20 AM, mdoerty said:

The video is not showing up for me. It says it is not available in my country (USA). 

4 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

Unfortunately, I am encountering the same issue.

4 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Indeed it is blocked in the US. I was only able to watch it while traveling abroad.

Unfortunately the geo-restriction is down to SBT not me, I guess the show might be syndicated in the US, and they don't want YouTube cannibalizing views?

Anyway, for those that want to see it, a clip can be downloaded by requesting file tvpowww.mp4 from my homepage (http://decle.org.uk/).  But you didn't get it from me!

tvpowww.thumb.png.92a998c9095f75e0be3c964e37d6040a.png

A couple of things I've spotted.  Firstly, I'm pretty sure now that they're using my recreation.  A bug in my code is visible in the video, bonus marks for anyone who can spot it! Secondly, the bargraph overlay at the upper left of the game screen looks to be the volume of the volume of the game's sound, rather than the player's mic as you might hope.  Finally, I'm pretty sure they aren't using sound activation this time.  It's a shame, but you can't have everything I guess. ;)

Edited by decle
Correction to the use of the bargraph
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, decle said:

Unfortunately the geo-restriction is down to SBT not me, I guess the show might be syndicated in the US, and they don't want YouTube cannibalizing views?

Anyway, for those that want to see it, a clip can be downloaded by requesting file tvpowww.mp4 from my homepage (http://decle.org.uk/).  But you didn't get it from me!

tvpowww.thumb.png.92a998c9095f75e0be3c964e37d6040a.png

A couple of things I've spotted.  Firstly, I'm pretty sure now that they're using my recreation.  A bug in my code is visible in the video, bonus marks for anyone who can spot it! Secondly, the bargraph overlay at the upper left of the game screen looks to be the volume of the volume of the game's sound, rather than the player's mic as you might hope.  Finally, I'm pretty sure they aren't using sound activation this time.  It's a shame, but you can't have everything I guess. ;)

All I get at the home page is the "decle" logo with links to Atari Age and You Tube. 

What am I doing wrong? 

4 hours ago, jhd said:

We Canadians can see the video, but my inability to understand Portuguese seriously limits my ability to enjoy it. 

Sadly I don't think you are missing much from the audio. Mostly a bunch of bad jokes that had nothing to do with the historical context of TV Powww. 

At least they managed to uncover that one of the original presenters of TV Powww in Brazil was actually the same guy who played Bozo the Clown over there. Quite an earth-shaking discovery, I know. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, decle said:

Well, I noticed they were using disconnected prop phones when playing the game, so mic volume wouldn't have helped much.

But indeed, it was a missed opportunity.

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, First Spear said:

powww.mp4 powww.srt

Machine language translation Portuguese->English in the srt didn't seem to work well. Can any educated Portuguese speakers comment on what is really being said? 

Wow! Translating from Portuguese to machine language ... that's hardcore! 😁

dZ.

• Like 1