IGNORED

PrintTok/cc65: new version available, not quite v. 2

Hi!  Over the past few days, I delayed work on printtok2 in favor of a slightly improved version of printtok1.  The new features include 128 one-byte tokens and more special control codes, including pauses, clear screen, inverse mode and, for most CBM targets, up to eight text colors as stored in an array in the modules.  It still doesn't have automatic compression, but I'm working on it.  It is at https://sourceforge.net/projects/cc65extra/files/ui/.  Try it out!

• 6 months later...

I just updated PrintTok online.  The main update is more two-byte tokens for two versions.  Both versions support 128 more two-byte tokens, but version 006 lost 26 two-byte tokens due to a conflict between two sets of tokens.  Version 006 is an update from 004 that now provides better support for memory expansion and, if you need between 65 and 192 tokens, it is now a little more efficient if you disable unneeded tokens, as the new tokens require less processing.  Version 007 is updated only by the extra tokens.  They are online now at https://sourceforge.net/projects/cc65extra/files/ui/.  I ask you to try them out and tell me what you think.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest version now supports up to 128 one-byte tokens and should support up to 190 two-byte tokens.  The second-latest version supports up to 64 one-byte tokens and up to 190 two-byte tokens.  They are at the same location as the previous versions.  BTW, there's a typo in the second-latest version: on the CBM version, there is a line in the printtok() function that reads:

[code]if (e>=0xE0 && e<0xF0) prints (tokensa[e&0x1F]);[/code]

Remove the upper bound of the condition, as it excludes usable tokens.  Upgrading to the latest version helped out my Smir 3, 1 text adventure's database file by about 8.8%.  That's in addition to what an earlier version did: about 25%.  I ask you to try out these versions of PrintTok.  BTW, PrintTok2 is in the works and will include many ways to compress literals and provide automatic compression.