IGNORED

Jag RGB and OSSC any solutions yet?

-^CrossBow^-

I know this came up once before when OSSC FW .85 was released and there were complaints about Jag RGB not working stably for folks. At that time I wasn't having much issues with it but now I know it was because of the games I happen to be playing most of the time not being an issue.

Now, with the recent batch of Jag releases from Reboot and others, I've now got to say that trying to play the Jag through RGB on my OSSC is a massive frustration. All of the games on my Dr. Typo collection have consant drop outs on the video with sync getting lost quite a bit. But I also noticed that even something like Hover Strike will have occasional drop outs. 

I've not got my OSSC on FW .89 (Hoping it would help issues with my 7800GD not working), and one of the new features I noticed about .89 is it now does auto phasing as I see a message pop up from the OSSC telling me as such. It doesn't come up on the Jag games, instead they just blink out completely for a second or two before coming back up. 

So yeah... any progress or settings that others have found work for them with Jaguar RGB through OSSC setups using RetroGamingCables Jag c-sync cables?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No feedback from others on this?

Well, I guess it is moot now as I did the OSSC modification this weekend and updated my OSSC to FW 1.08. Wtih that I'm able to play all of the Dr. Typo games with the only issue now, being on the game Fallen Angels where the video will still occasionally dropout for a second but only during the launch sequence at the beginning of the level. Once that is done, the game seems to play fine without any issues while before it was kinda unplayable because the video would drop out so much while trying to play.

So at least in the case of the Jaguar, the OSSD mod that allows the new firmware to work appears to have solved my issues on the Jaguar RGB output.

• Like 1

I have never had any issues with my Jaguar SCART to OSSC, but I have to admit to have only played a handful of games.  I'm planning on upgrading to either a PixelFx Morph or a RetroTink 4K in the near future anyway, but if I get some extra time I'll try Dr. Typo with my current setup and see what happens.

2 hours ago, Sargon said:

I have never had any issues with my Jaguar SCART to OSSC, but I have to admit to have only played a handful of games.  I'm planning on upgrading to either a PixelFx Morph or a RetroTink 4K in the near future anyway, but if I get some extra time I'll try Dr. Typo with my current setup and see what happens.

Fallen Angels was the one that gave me the most issues. Video would drop out on the launch sequence (Still does but not for as long an amount of time), and it would constantly drop off while flying within the levels etc. It was basically unplayable before because the video would keep dropping all and I couldn't see where I was going or what might be shooting at me etc. But again, that seems corrected with the slight hardware mod to my OSSC and new FW loaded to it.

Hover Strike CD was another that was pretty bac about video drop outs while playing. I haven't tested that one as yet. 

On 11/8/2023 at 7:52 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

No feedback from others on this?

Well, I guess it is moot now as I did the OSSC modification this weekend and updated my OSSC to FW 1.08. Wtih that I'm able to play all of the Dr. Typo games with the only issue now, being on the game Fallen Angels where the video will still occasionally dropout for a second but only during the launch sequence at the beginning of the level. Once that is done, the game seems to play fine without any issues while before it was kinda unplayable because the video would drop out so much while trying to play.

So at least in the case of the Jaguar, the OSSD mod that allows the new firmware to work appears to have solved my issues on the Jaguar RGB output.

Where did you find fw 1.08?

3 hours ago, 42bs said:

Where did you find fw 1.08?

@MrZarniwoop posted the info, but you can't load up that FW on the OSSC until you have done the small modification to it first. And I believe that mod is only needed for the v1.6 version of the OSSC like mine was. It isn't possible on older versions and current ones come with the modification and new FW already loaded up on them.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here are the photos from my OSSC.  I had to use magnify light as the parts were so small. 

I used the following to build Jag profile

https://www.firebrandx.com/OSSC/OSSC - Atari Jaguar Optimal Timing.txt

I ended up using 4x mode, as 6x mode was too small on the TV screen.

Text in Defender of the Crown is much improved.

OSCC 1.0.8 firmware here:

http://www.infocult.com/m/ossc/fw/v1-series/

IMG_3877.jpeg

IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3878.jpeg

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, grips03 said:

I don't think they put that option in our TVs.  I guess I could mod the Jag to add 50/60Hz, but I'm afraid my TV will be the limiting factor.

Any modern TV which has HDMI should also be able to display 50Hz. Some even display 24Hz (cinema).
But as developer I am more interested to be able to check both.

On 12/11/2023 at 6:21 PM, grips03 said:

I would like to do this mod, but is there better quality photos out there of removing R35 and soldering the wire in?

https://videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/ossc-v1-xx-series-beta-firmware/

photos here are too low res.

Had you pinged me about this, I could have done this earlier and just didn't think about it. But here is mine?

20231104_181739.thumb.jpg.6ca7d7e52029767a3923fe3132e1b0c0.jpg

20231104_181645.thumb.jpg.5e56ffedbb7e4d4773324154a4ac3570.jpg

20231104_181659.thumb.jpg.3d669e5c3f6bcaea2738fe6196750bea.jpg

4 hours ago, grips03 said:

nice solder work.  I'm getting too old :)

We are probably close in age. But I've been having to do some small scale stuff like this on and off for the past year or so and in some cases, I've been doing stuff like this even when it wasn't needed just to hone and improve. I also wear a LOT of magnification so I can see what I'm doing more easily.

One thing I have noticed about the newer FW that I'm not happy about is that they removed the ability to set the mask for vertical and horizontal setups? So as a result, I'm back to seeing some of the overscan stuff that I had profiles setup previously to hide this. There are some options for mask color and brightness but that's it and messing with those does nothing on the screen. So... yeah, that was a feature removed that I'm not sure I agree with.

I've also not tested more to see if Jag games are actually working better for me now, but like you the 6x mode does work for me. But as my TV is still only a 1080P display, it shows that 1440P image smaller and doesn't scale it as it does with other resolutions within its actual spec'd range it supports. So I've been sticking with 5x or 4x in some cases.

Edited by -^CrossBow^-
typo corrections...