IGNORED

The 7800...I like it, but...

jetset

Well, I've had my 7800 about a week and a half now. I definetly like it! I have about 20 carts, and like just about all of them. I really like Asteroids, Centipede, and Food Fight. The system itself plays great...the colors are good, game play is awesome. I had a slight problem initially which I remidied by bypassing the rf switchbox.

The thing(s) I wonder about though...what's up with the:

1) Controllers - yeesh...the proline sticks (imho) suck. They dont fit comfortably in the hand and are stiff as hell. Of course yes I know I can use the 2600 controllers, but that doesnt help pole position 2 any.

and...

2) Sound - I've seen this topic covered before on the 7800. Yeah Im gonna search and read about it, but in a word, BLAH! A lot of the games sound like 2600 games. The sound on this system is definetly a letdown.

Overall a great system. :thumbsup: I like the arcade games most of all so far. It's a treat having Galaga, Food Fight and Donkey Kong Jr since they aren't available for the 5200. I'm dying to pick up some of the ones I dont have yet, like Dark Chambers and Xenophobe.

And, so far all of my 2600 games play fine on my 7800, including some that I've seen other ppl here say don't work on theirs.

Not sure why, but I always LIKED the 7800 controllers. Even though I did get thumb cramps playing Xevious.

Please! I thought I was gonna die playing Ms Pacman! But, some of us have unique likes and dislikes I 'spose. I actually LIKE the 5200 controllers! Well...the fire buttons could use improvement, but I like the flexibility vs. the "stiffness" of the 2600 & 7800 controllers.

2) Sound - I've seen this topic covered before on the 7800.  Yeah Im gonna search and read about it,  but in a word,  BLAH!  A lot of the games sound like 2600 games.  The sound on this system is definetly a letdown.

Of course the reason for that is the sound (except for the couple of carts with onboard POKEYs) is generated by the TIA, the same chip used in the 2600.

I also used to and for the most part still have no problem with the Pro-Lines. However, now I am older and the pro-lines do start to cramp my thumbs after some extended use...but then that pain soon goes away and I am totally numb to it...hehe

I still have a Pro-Line connected 100% to my 7800.

8)

Quick tip: If you haven't done it already...

Too loosen up the 7800 Proline Controllers. Simply take a knife and remove that clear plastic ring just below the handle. It won't hurt the controller and they'll be easier to use.

Oh man that sounds too dangerous. I try not to mess with things like that. It usually winds up in somthing being broken afterwards!

One other thing....

I had a slight problem initially which I remidied by bypassing the rf switchbox.

The problem I had was actually the television and not the rf switch. I have a Sharp TV in the bedroom. The problem was the unit would switch to black and white all by itself! Only by turning the TV off then on again would the color come back, but then within a minute it would go black and white. That doesn't happen on any of my other sets...

Wierd.

Yeah CPUWIZ, I know....Indian burial ground. :P