60 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your favourite

• Super Nintendo/Super Famicom
    • Genesis/Mega Drive
    • TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
    • Neo Geo

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Normally I'd vote PC Engine or Neo Geo just to throw those a vote, but I choose Mega Drive instead specifically because it will piss off the poll creator.

Kirk can't hear you over the sound of his confirmation bias, and I imagine that probably backfired even when it was in his personal quarantine zone.

Speaking of that, nobody should ever reply to Kirk topics, whether seriously or for the purpose of trolling. Having violated that rule by posting this, I'm going to put up the deuces myself and not come back. Enjoy your existences or whatever.

He's a goddamn idiot, not a troll.  His brain either never left or regressed back to the school yard circa 1991-92 before the SNES started pounding the crap out of the Genesis with clear cut better eye/ear candy style games.  It's been a pleasure not having him infect the SNES area for a good week now I think, hoping that stays that way.  I'm hoping some generous mod banned him from the section of the board because it has been peaceful and productive which hasn't been for a very, very long time, outside of correcting his delusions and lies consistently.

• Like 1

Okay, so I selected TG-16 in the poll, but should have actually chose SNES. Love all the shmups on the Turbo, but Super Nintendo definitely has more games in other genres that I find more enjoyable. Always come back to stuff like Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4 and 6, etc. So many classics on there.

Back in the day my answer would have been Genesis for stuff like Toejam & Earl, Sonic, and all the great sports games. Not into too much of that stuff anymore.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is one tough poll. I wanted to vote Neo-Geo as it was a personal love, but instead I voted for TG-16 because it never got the support that it deserved. I also loved the SNES. Genesis was fun too, but I'd easily put it last in this poll. Hate to see it winning. 😜

I got the Genesis and TG16 at launch and played the heck out of them for 2 years before the SNES hit the US shores. But have to say, once I got the SNES and soaked in that MODE 7, I almost never touched the TG16 again really.. and the Genesis went down in playtime relatively significantly unless it was a top tier game like Gunstar Heroes, etc.   So yeah I love the Gen and TG16 but if I was to choose, then it's SNES. 

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

The only two I owned were the SNES and Genesis, so it was a two option poll for me. I almost immediately picked SNES, because I love that console and it's the first console I bought with my own money after I got my first job at 16. But then I thought about what I'm more likely to play nowadays, and it's the Genesis. I think Genesis had better games, including a lot of better first party games. I very much prefer Sonic to Mario. Plus, they had other great games like the Streets of Rage trilogy and Golden Axe trilogy. They had first party RPGs in the Phantasy Star series. Plus, they had lot of good third party games that SNES didn't have or had different versions of that I like better on the Genesis. One such example is the game Star Trek: The Next Generation - Echoes from the Past. The Genesis version lets you save the game on the Enterprise's bridge. The SNES version (which is called "Future's Past") makes you fly to a starbase and get a stupid continue code. I died a LOT just flying to the starbase to get the friggin' code. And, lastly, there's Sega Sports. So, yeah, I actually just surprised myself by going Genesis.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2023 at 12:04 PM, Hwlngmad said:

Voted for the Genesis / Mega Drive as I have played games from all four systems and that is the one whose games always draw me back.  Also, personally, it is my favorite console of all time as well.

Yeah I loved both the SNES and the Genesis, but Sega had the "cool" factor. A lot of people bring up Sonic, but, I really liked playing a ninja that fought Batman, Spider-Man and Godzilla. My favorite game is still Ecco the Dolphin.

• Like 1

This was my last, great console generation... probably add pc gaming too. Did eventually get a PS1 but did not have the gaming fervor as I used to. By this point in the mid '90s, I really got bit by the retro bug.

It's between the Genesis and Super Nintendo... while the latter to me had the better back catalog; I have to go with the Genesis. I love that '89 - '91 games' library output combined with tons of nostalgia for that era.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If playing habits are where you show your true colors, then I'd probably have to pick Neo Geo but I'm not going to pick Neo Geo because to me it's just not really a relevant comparison to the others on the list.  I have never in my life been in the same room as a Neo Geo console (that I know of), and only associate it with the 90s arcade scene.  And that price tag back then was utter lunacy.  So, Genesis it is.  

All my gamer friends had SNES and I was the guy with the Genesis.  I used to go on local BBS's and argue with people over what was better, like a moron. 

I think SNES is really cool to fire up once in a while and I definitely appreciate some of the polish that its tech made possible.  The hardware scaling/rotation always looked super cool to me and, while I really enjoy the audio on the Genesis when it comes to game music, these days I find lots of the sound effects abrasive and annoying on Genesis compared to SNES.

The Turbografx is super cool too.  I didn't care much for shoot-em-ups back in the 80s and 90s but I love them now, and the TG has all kinds of great stuff in that regard. 

Really, I could happily play any one of these consoles exclusively for extended periods and be happy.    

• Like 1

I go with Genesis because honestly the games had a distinct sound which I really liked and generally the games were more challenging and more interesting to me. SNES obviously had a ton of classics but the Genesis type of games appeal to me more, like arcade type games, fighting, action, etc. I was never huge on RPGs so I'm not missing a ton by being a Sega fanboy

couldn't find on SNES:

Sonic

Streets of Rage

Ecco

Road Rash

Jurassic Park (at least the version I liked)

Comix Zone

OutRun

probably a ton of others

I like the controller more as well. The 3 button layout makes sense, except for in fighting games where you'd switch to the 6-button.

Edited by dudeguy

I am as well, Genesis doing that bucks reality of things.  Not saying it's bad, it objectively wasn't as good of a system, hardware didn't perform as well either.  BOth systems have their weaknesses, but the Genesis ones really weren't overcome and some just couldn't with the lower color count on screen and the largely more sketchy audio.  Game wise Nintendo had more genres in their pocket with winners, some were a pretty even tie, and a few others favored Sega.

My Turbo/PC Engine collection is biggest, followed by Genesis, followed by SNES, so that's how I would rank them. They are all really good.

There are lots of good SNES games and the heavy hitters really put up a good fight but the far larger Western library on the Genesis and the large number of accessible Japanese exclusives on the PC Engine make those systems a bit more interesting to me. Then again, half of my SNES collection is imports.

The Neo Geo isn't a real home console but I would rank it a distant last if it were as there are only a couple dozen games I really want to play on it and literally half the library consists of yearly installments in the same few fighting game series. I like the games I like a lot but there isn't much depth or breadth in the library compared to the massive libraries of the other systems.

• Like 2

Neo Geo I did the math before, of the 150~ games for the system exactly 1/3 of them are 1on1 fighting games.  That's how it sadly got that rep of being a stupid fighting console/arcade box which is a real shame.  it sadly overshadows the considerable amount of variety they really did have.  For example there are 6 platformers, 12 puzzles, 10 run n gun, and 15 shooters and amazingly 25 sports titles.  There are the other genres with the RPGs, brawlers, weird quiz titles, racing etc.  For all the carts I have fighting is not the majority and that's a good thing or it would get crappy fast.

I agree it shouldn't be considered a console despite them trying to make a few extra bucks repinning the games to run off a TV given how they priced it out.  But for arcade hardware damn did it both last and have a lot of variety.  150 games over like a decade and a half is no joke.

• Like 5

Yeah, I love a lot of the games, but the huge libraries offer me more. Oddly some of my favorite games on the Neo Geo are the shmups, which are not widely considered a strong point of the system.

Even to take Metal Slug for an example, though, Metal Slug X is a remastered version of Metal Slug 2. The number of games that are yearly updates of previous games is pretty extreme on the Neo Geo compared to most other systems, and even compared to say Capcom's frequent-reissuing ways.

No arguing that, MSX was a re-sold upgrade patch and co-remix of MS2 kind of a Street FIghter 2 Turbo stunt of sorts Capcom pulled. :D  KOF is disgusting really how they rolled that one to death having a release from 1994 through 2003 it's just overkill and swamped out some other variety.  Samurai SHodown more or less qualifies too as it hits the Metal Slug tier of grinding out titles since it had 6 (7 if you count the lost 'final version' of SS5 that showed up a few years back.)