IGNORED

Homebrew compatibility?

oceanix42

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

This is very true. My post above still stands as far as homebrew games for which authors have NOT made final ROMs available. 

..Al

Indeed. I would be quite angry to see my work ripped and shared. I would certainly ask for the posts to be deleted or further moderation as seen fit. These games are not expensive and buying them supports AA and the developers.

• Like 3

On 11/17/2023 at 10:37 AM, LANC3L0T said:

I use a $3 coaxial RCA Adapter to get my old Atari consoles working with a modern TV.  As far as I know, modern televisions can still tune into channels 2.0 and 3.0 just fine.  At least all of mine can.

https://console5.com/store/gold-plated-premium-coaxial-rca-to-f-type-converter.html

True, but I've found not all modern TVs display older systems well, especially with RF...
So your mileage may vary...  ;-)

• Like 2

On 11/20/2023 at 4:58 PM, desiv said:

True, but I've found not all modern TVs display older systems well, especially with RF...

They display em like crap. Even with composite mod. Now maybe S-Video would have looked good, but I never had a CRT with S Video to test with my modded light sixer. 

Now the 2600+ has a very nice and sharp output with fantastic colors in games like missile command and berzerk.

On an OLED, it even feels vector like. 

I know it would have made this box too expensive, but I wish it had built in wi-fi and retroachievements API integration.

I'm getting some high scores on this bad boy. 

Edited by tradyblix
composite not component
  • Like 4

On 11/21/2023 at 9:45 PM, Albert said:

I concur, looks absolutely beautiful on an OLED display.  Especially since so many 2600 games have black backgrounds. 

..Al

I think having a black background on games is what I like so much about the 2600. It adds to the imagination. I've dabbled in playing games like nethack as well and I think most people prefer the ascii graphics with black background over the gui add ons.

I have my 2600+ hooked up to my pc monitor. Easier to use that way. I also discovered my monitor has a audio output jack. Makes it simple to share speakers with the pc and 2600+

Edited by spork

On 11/20/2023 at 4:58 PM, desiv said:

Good to know. 

To be honest, the largest modern television I used for my 2600 was 19 inches.  And the quality on that TV was decent enough for me.  I can't imagine how rough the games would look on a modern 50+ inch television using the RF adapter.

7 hours ago, ZippyOasys said:

Do most titles made using Batari Basic work?

It's not about what it's made with so much as what eeprom/board design a game is using. There are a bunch. Homebrews that use a standard Atari format that's the current firmware uses, work. Those more modern designs do not, is my understanding. It's the same with the older carts as well.

I have no doubt that issue will be a thing of the past after an update or two. I was gifted one of the new Atari VCS for xmas last year, and while the new Atari is a pretty small deal, they're very dedicated to supporting their stuff and very responsive as well. There have been a bunch of firmware issues with the VCS (my new user experience was comically bad) but they addressed all of them. In the process I ended up chatting with several folks over there, and came away favorably impressed. Just don't expect it to happen overnight. They are a fairly small team.

On 11/17/2023 at 6:46 PM, bent_pin said:

Indeed. I would be quite angry to see my work ripped and shared. I would certainly ask for the posts to be deleted or further moderation as seen fit. These games are not expensive and buying them supports AA and the developers.

This is true, and I support this. But there are also a lot of homebrews that are long out of their production run and aren't being made anymore. I'm sure most here would be willing to pay for the rom legitimately if they were offered the chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

This is true, and I support this. But there are also a lot of homebrews that are long out of their production run and aren't being made anymore. I'm sure most here would be willing to pay for the rom legitimately if they were offered the chance.

I'd pay for ROMs. I bought every one that champ games made. I can't wait for @Albert to open the ROM store; I'd like to build a complete collection, or nearly so.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bitsized said:

Wondering if anyone has tested the trackball homebrew series currently available in the store.

Trakball in TS mode does not work in general on the 2600+.

Hope they can make it work by updates.

Missile Command 2600 TB and Centipede 7800 TB are so great and still in AA shop, therefore  I do really hope TB TS mode is coming!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Trakball in TS mode does not work in general on the 2600+.

Hope they can make it work by updates.

Missile Command 2600 TB and Centipede 7800 TB are so great and still in AA shop, therefore  I do really hope TB TS mode is coming!

Ah, thanks for this confirmation.  I just bought a trackball from a local shop and noticed that the TS setting was off, but the JS setting was manageable but not ideal.  Wasn't sure if those hacks in the AA shop would translate the TS setting.  It will be exciting if all of these small things can get fixed with the updates.

36 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

Ah, thanks for this confirmation.  I just bought a trackball from a local shop and noticed that the TS setting was off, but the JS setting was manageable but not ideal.  Wasn't sure if those hacks in the AA shop would translate the TS setting.  It will be exciting if all of these small things can get fixed with the updates.

Put my glasses on and the switch on the trakball is actually labled JS (works as a joystick) and TB ( real trakball mode)😊

JS works of cause but TB is not supported yet by the 2600+

The TB series carts from the AA shop support the TB mode which is much better than JS mode when playing original carts like Centipede.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Put my glasses on and the switch on the trakball is actually labled JS (works as a joystick) and TB ( real trakball mode)😊

JS works of cause but TB is not supported yet by the 2600+

The TB series carts from the AA shop support the TB mode which is much better than JS mode when playing original carts like Centipede.

Well, I look forward to the day to play these games with a true TB mode.  I feel fortunate to have been able to find a trackball at my local store and that it at least is "read" by the 2600+.

• Like 1

It would be good if Atari actually spent some money on developing and improving this system, but after seeing Ben from Plaion break down new cart costs and say they were prohibitive, I highly doubt anyone will have the stomach to play a talented dev or two to put in a couple thousand man hours of billable work lol 

32 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

It would be good if Atari actually spent some money on developing and improving this system, but after seeing Ben from Plaion break down new cart costs and say they were prohibitive, I highly doubt anyone will have the stomach to play a talented dev or two to put in a couple thousand man hours of billable work lol 

:ponder:

..Al

• Haha 1